I want to move the kitchen to the great room.
andreainsley
We are buying a house with a tiny kitchen that we'd like to make into a butler's pantry. It is across the hall from the great room, which you access by a short hallway from the front door. I want to have the huge stove fan, cupboards on the wall, island with cooktop and sink, etc. How do you picture the configuration, considering the stairs are there?
klf78
Are you sure that you would want all that noise, smells going up to the second level of your home?

I saw an mls pic of a kitchen similar to what your invisioning, it just seemed odd.

Just trying to be insightful, not sure of you thought of this actually being an issue. Also, if the kitchen goes here, where does your living space go?...
June 5, 2013 at 4:20pm   
Brenda
can you show more photos? ... what is to the left there where the brick plant wall and step down are?

what functions will stay in this room? -- kichen we know. formal dining? ... tv lounge area? ...

usually a "butler's pantry" is a space between a kitchen and a dining room. what will your "butler's pantry be connected to?
June 5, 2013 at 4:25pm   
A floor plan would be a good start.
June 5, 2013 at 4:37pm   
andreainsley
Hi klf78, thanks for your comments. Noise isn't really an issue, since it's just the two of us, but I am kind of wondering about smells I guess. Maybe we just need a kick ass bar area. That is a big room, and I pictured an island, and then a 50's contemporary seating arrangement and a big flat screen on the wall. We have an open concept space here, and it's where we spend most of our time. Here is a picture of the other side of the room. Also, I appreciate your insights a great deal. Oh, and there is a family room with a fireplace off of the present kitchen.
June 5, 2013 at 4:43pm   
KShoa
I think a project this size requires a local expert. You'll need plumbing and all kinds of work done.

Enjoy the remodel!
June 5, 2013 at 4:47pm   
andreainsley
Hi Brenda, thanks for your response. To the left is a sunken, tiled solarium kind of room facing the backyard (see picture). The butler's pantry, if that is what it ends up being, is across the hall and attached to a family room with a walk-out to the backyard. There is a brick wall between the family room and the existing kitchen. Of course the carpet will not be staying in that great room you see. We will be putting hardwood down.
June 5, 2013 at 5:11pm   
Off centered ceilings/light fixture
Our home has a tray ceiling in the dining area, but...
Kitchen table ideas for kitchen renovatiion
Looking for recommendations on kitchen table/breakfast...
Update my foyer please!
Our home was built in 1900 and is a classic American...
HELP THIS ROOM PLEASE!
This room is all wrong. I was obsessed with this zebra...
Need help enhancing the exterior of my ranch
I am in the process of planning an exterior remodel...