Need paint color help and fill the space ideas
Patricia Pergola
This hallway runs the length of the first floor and opens up to outside on both ends. It also opens up to four rooms. My house is a New England colonial that is traditionally furnished, but I'm slowly trying to add some modern touches... I am not looking for anything but cosmetic changes, as opposed to adding columns in the hall or things that require construction. I know it could look better, but I don't want to sink even more money into a hallway! I am probably painting the hallways Manchester tan, with white dove trim. Any suggestions for a complimentary color on the lower half of the chair rail? I'm looking for a warm, airy space. Also any suggestions on how to fill the space? Chair rails were being put up in the pictures. Thank you!
eileend
We did a beige/tan (Benjamin Moore) on the top and on the bottom a blue/slate color. I felt, at first it wasn't for me, but even my nieces came to visit and said the house feels so warm and inviting. No point in me giving you the name of our colors as they look different in the lighting of each house. Good luck! (I love the yellow showing in your picture.)
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 3:27AM
Patricia Pergola
Thank you. - the yellow has been up for 7+ years I just need a change!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 3:31AM
Patricia Pergola
The room was being worked on so no furniture in it!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 3:33AM
mmjhays
I, too, live in a colonial style house and have been blending in some more modern elements. I have found the trick to making things more cohesive is to take traditional pieces and add a modern fabric or paint color and vice-versa. That way when you bring in a classic antique or a vintage modern element it all blends beautifully.

Now, as far as your hall dilemma is concerned, it looks as though the paint color in one of your more formal rooms off the hall is a peacock/teal blue. I would suggest if you love that color, to ask your paint store to cut that tint formula to one quarter of the original formula and use the more subtle shade of blue below the chair rail. I think that would be very nice with the Manchester tan above the rail. Plus, it would tie the rooms together. .... Oh, and add crown molding to beef-up the architectural details.

As for furnishings, try blending old and new. A traditional console table flanked by acrylic Louis ghost chairs would be fabulous. The chairs have that classic Louis XVI style with a modern aesthetic, and because they are clear acrylic you get that airy feeling you are looking for. Add some bling with modern crystal wall sconces and abstract art in formal frames painted in a white or black lacquered finish. Voila! Traditional meets modern!

I've attached photos for reference. Good luck with your project! I look forward to seeing the end results. I'm sure it will be fabulous.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 5:59AM
arr1974
A great color to give the hallway a more modern feel would be a grey/ beige color. Find the color you like in two shades. Use the slightly darker on bottom below the chair rail. The right color will play nicely of the flooring!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:09AM
Paula Crook Reality Inc
I love that you have the chair rail to add interest to the wall. I think painting the top and bottom different colors would add even more interest. Here are some different ideas: Tone on Tone different colors but same hue, Same Color Family but different color value,or mor dramatic with lower being white & upper being a color you pull from an inspiration piece. Good luck and enjoy your new look whatever you do
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:21AM
Patricia Pergola
I love the acrylic chairs, console and lighting!!!! Thank you!!! I am worried a gray/beige might not be "warm" enough. I'm told Manchester tan is a taupe/tan. Does any one have specific color recommendations- it's a really big space that also goes up to the second floor and down to the basement. Thx!!!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:08AM
Help! Need ideas on paint colors for open concept space!
lots of antique white with chocolate glaze cabinets...
Need coffee table ideas and idea to fill space.
What kind of coffee table should I get to brighten...
Need ideas to fill up space
I like clean and not a lot of fuss but this is just...
Need ideas for filling large wall space in master bedroom.
We have nothing on the walls in our bedroom because...
Need idea to fill this space. Always looks empty.
Not sure what the name of this space is, so I am having...
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
Need help buying downy duvet insert. Brands that a are hight quality
I have purchased alternative duvet due to allergies,...
Windows/Modified Colonial
What type of house do you think the modified colonial...
Black/bronze windows
We are looking for double hung windows that are bronze...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...