Replace cedar siding with vinyl in CT?
Rick OBrien
I'm considering replacing the high maintenance vertical cedar siding on my contemporary home with low maintenance vertical vinyl siding. Located in CT. Quotes are running in the 25-30k range. Resale is anticipated in 5 years or so. Is it worth it?
amyoungblood
Please don't! Vinyl siding is a huge polluter and ugly to boot.
6 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:12AM
Benhardt Construction & Remodeling
Have you obtained quotes for replacing with James Hardy Cement Siding? Lots of options
2 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:14AM
hazardglrl
No, I wouldnt do it. Can you lighten it? maybe add some color in your landscaping?
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 6:18AM
Craig Duddles
Cement siding is much more durable than vinyl. If the cedar isn't rotten, I'd keep it. We replaced cedar on our Florida house but it hadn't been keep up and it was rotten and really needed replacing. We put cement horizontal lap boards. Looks great now.
2 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:18AM
beverlyf
Your house is beautiful and fits in perferctly with the woodland setting. I lived in a cedar house for a number of years on Lake Huron - we actually spent a small forturne putting on the red cedar! Keep up the maintenance on a regular basis and it is totally manageable and so worth it. Additonally, I think vinyl siding would reduce the re-sale value of your home.
4 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:20AM
ckturner1
We did ours in Hardy, love it. It might be expensive if you are moving within 5 years. You might look into just restaining it. There are lots of options with color there. I really like Sherwin Williams products for that.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:21AM
Lonnie Clackum
25-30K for vinyl siding? Vinyl siding turns brittle, fades, and doesn't have good strength compared to other products. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some Hardi plank, then find some Mexican contractors to install it cheap or rent scaffolds or sky lifts and DIY. You'll save tons of money and have a better result too.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:24AM
burress2
I would not reccomend using James Hardy siding as a replacement option. My parents home is roughly 8 years old and the paint is chipping off over then entire home. When you purchase the siding you can add an additional coat of paint to increast the "warenty" of the finish, which they did. Hardy is not standing by their warenty to repaint the siding. They are having it repainted this summer out of their own pocket. Although it is a nice looking product (while it lasts), I have heard of numerous issues similar to this from contractors as I am researching siding options for our home. If the cedar is salvageable, I would stick with that and possibly give it a new coat of stain, or possibly a semi-transparent stain to add a more solid, richer look.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:27AM
Brenda
Do not replace your "premium" cedar with run-of-the-mill starter home vinyl (sorry, can you tell you struck a nerve with me)

It's not that hard to clean. you need a sprayer and a hose. If you need to restain, buy an expandable paint stick and flat sponge applicators. Go semi- transperant (yours looks to be transperant) for a longer lasting, lower maintenence finish.
4 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:28AM
Gary Crehan
I sided a home similar to yours in Hardy plank. Looked pretty good. Are you just wanting to change the look? Try bleach. I know it sounds odd. I did this to a few houses in Oregon out on the Salishan spit. One ladies home was covered in shingles, big beautiful beach home but they were dark and almost black. the liquid bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is used was if I remember 18% I mixed it in an industrial sprayer normally used to spray concrete form oil, so it was again diluted, sprayed on and immediately sprayed off with water. The siding of her home looked new, better actually because the shingles were slightly lighter than before. If you test on an inconspicuous part of your home after mixing and using a brush, you just might like it
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 6:38AM
pghgal685
That cedar is beautiful. Keep it!! I would rather see the money you'd spend towards re-doing it with something "low maintenance" go instead towards staining and sealing that cedar (even if you pay someone else to do it!)
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:43AM
tclark449
Your house looks very much like ours! We bought it 2-1/2 years ago and could tell the siding had not been cared for in many years. We had a contractor restain it last year and it is beautiful! Please do NOT put crummy vinyl on yours...you have a gem that simply needs to be polished. Good luck in your decision.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 6:53AM
jlw18411
Oh no ... Not vinyl! Have your home painted and update your garage doors. You can see ideas at different garage door companies. Update your landscaping & you'll have a fab looking home.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:00AM
Judy M
I vote re-staining.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:13AM
Gail Carlson Interiors, Inc.
Stop the MADNESS! That would be a Design Crime! Please DONT !
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:23AM
elklaker
We have 2 cedar houses and while they may require some maintenance, we find it well worth it. NO vinyl!
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:28AM
hparks74
I grew up in a cedar home similar to this and vinyl siding would be a shame. If your selling it in five years would the maintenance out way the cost of siding? I would think not.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:28AM
Rick OBrien
Wow! Did not expect so much feedback so quickly. A little background. The triggers for this inquiry were replacing the roof (it's 27 years old) and an upcoming need to to stain. In the past, I have stained the house myself (including bleaching to remove the inevitable mildew). But a recent back injury rules that out from now on. Bleaching/staining will be expensive, estimates are in the 8-10k range. So we wondered how fast vinyl siding could pay off and potentially attract future buyers with its low maintenance.

The roof is huge with several intersecting walls that require step flashing. The roofing contractors liked the idea of new siding because they could then cut out the old siding covering the flashing and easily replace it. A rough board could then be nailed over the cut out area and then the whole thing covered with the vinyl siding.

Without replacing the siding how do most people handle the step flashing issue?

A few of the siding contractors also mentioned Hardy Siding but said it would be more expensive. BTW, the landscaping is currently being updated.

Thanks
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:30AM
Kristin Horejsi
Please don't! Who would really want to live in a plastic house?
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:31AM
Beck & Gray Interiors, IIDA
If you are unhappy with the look....use Hardy cementious siding in the cedar shake style...will give more of a cottage feel....updated garage doors would be nice, but just adding an arbor above garage with a fast growing vine foliage will also dramatically change the appearance!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:37AM
Beck & Gray Interiors, IIDA
You have so much potential with landscaping!!! Best wishes!!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:38AM
Sarah M
No vinyl! Just wash and restain. Your home is beautiful!
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:40AM
lindawm
Your roofing people are trying to make it easier for them. Don't ever replace cedar with ugly and cheap vinyl. Ask your assessor how they assess cedar (in our case, clapboard, and it is more than vinyl) vs. vinyl siding. They will know what the market value is. If not, ask your real estate agent. I am sure that they will ALL tell you to keep the cedar. Don't replace anything - if you siding is in good shape. Personally, I like the graying cedar look so why stain, etc.?
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:45AM
Stephen M. DeOrio
Keep the cedar, have it cleaned with a wood restorer/cleaner and use Sikkens products on it, a bit more expensive but great durability. Vinyl will de-value the home. Should be able to have that done for under 10K or less, get three bids and check references! A good painter would wire brush the siding, use a cleaner/resorer and then stain. Just throwing a new stain on it is the quick and easy fix but you'd probably have to use a semi transparent or solid stain and it may need done again in four or five years, if you use the Sikkens product over the existing siding as it is now it may hold up until you sell.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:49AM
richlin912
Years ago we replaced our rotting wood siding with vinyl siding, and it was the worst mistake. It looks cheap and ugly. Your house is beautiful.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:56AM
Wausau Homes Bemidji
It would be a sad day in CT if you choose to do vinyl. I imagine it would have a negative valuation impact to your home. We utilize Louisiana Pacific's Smartside Lap, shake, and vertical siding products quite a lot on the custom homes we are building up here in Northern Minnesota. We have moved away from the cement siding in favor of Smartside. Great 50 year transferable warranty on the product. You can get it prefinished or primed (paint it yourself). The trim sizes range from 2" to 12" widths, which allow you to do a lot with the exterior look of the home. That said, if you are looking at resale in 5 years and the current cedar siding is in good condition, hire out having the cedar cleaned and use Sikkens as suggested by others. Regarding the step flashing, there should be no reason to replace, unless someone took shortcuts during the initial construction of the home. Step flashing is fairly robust and the roofing contractor should be expected to carefully maintain it during the tear-off process. However, if you hire some backwoods wild men on the cheap to rip, snort, and tear things up, such as jamming their tear-off tools into the step flashing and putting holes in it....then you will have a dilemma and increased costs facing you. I would say it is important to set the level of expectation prior to the work being done in this case.
2 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:39AM
Judy M
Many homebuyers don't want to do the maintenance themselves and the expense of paying contractors can be out of reach for a new buyer.

So while I think re-staining is best option, a different product might actually be preferred by many buyers.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:09AM
Craig Duddles
Here is another option for siding. This one is designed for vertical: http://www.canexel.ca/Ultra-Plank-en.php
Would keep some of the look of present siding and is an engineered wood product. No idea on the cost difference.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:20AM
Rick OBrien
OK, no vinyl. I'll check into CenExcel.

Meanwhile, a follow-up question. The house was built 27 years ago. What key elements would make it look like it was built last year?

As I mentioned landscaping is underway. Others have mentioned garage doors. I'm biased of course, but I thought the herringbone pattern looked pretty good. What kind of doors would modernize the look?

Thanks again
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:52AM
studio | FORMA
If resale and low maintenance is what you are most concerned with, which is a valuable point I would NOT cover the house in Vynil Siding as any educated buyer will only see it as an extra expense to have it removed and replaced. It will NOT be an attractive incentive whatsoever. If anything it may keep someone from buying the place. Cement Fiber Board as suggested in earlier comments would be your best bet. You will retain the "Cedar" (Vertical+Anlgled) look that is so architecturaly significant to the style of the home while reduding maintenance. It is a bit more expensive but I believe will get your money back as it would be a Low Maintenance incentive to a prospective buyer. check out the link below, just one of many manufacturers that now produce cement fiber board:
http://bluelinxco.com/Portals/0/docs/LiteratureLibrary/Siding%20and%20Trim/Fiber%20Cement/CertainTeed/CT%20FiberCement%20Idea%20Book.pdf
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:52AM
Wausau Homes Bemidji
Rick, what do you have going around the foundation of the home? Hard to tell in the photo. What would look great is a nice ledgestone rock covering the exposed foundation (if that is what I'm seeing). I think the cedar siding and the herringbone garage doors are awesome! Not a big fan of the green painted garage service door though. Maybe a dark mocha (see Rollex color chart) or something that matches to your ext window trim to make the door disappear. Keep in mind that a nice architectural shingle, like Certainteed's Landmark Pro or something similar with some shadow lines will change the look of the house as well. Might be smart to do the roof job now and see what impact that has to the look before ripping off perfectly good cedar siding. Got to admit that a home that blends nicely with the natural setting has a lot of appeal to me. Great looking home.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 3:10PM
Rick OBrien
Thanks. The foundation is bare concrete and somewhat exposed. The water table is high here so we were not able to sink the basement as far as we originally planned. I'm not familiar with ledgestone rock. Is that a thin rock facade glued to the foundation or something else? We are planning architectural shingles. We were holding off until we made a siding decision so we could choose an appropriate roof color.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 5:07PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
I will post a picture tomorrow of vinyl after 6 years
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:23PM
landscapemb
@ Lonnie Clackum: Disturbed by your comment “…get some Hardi plank, then find some Mexican contractors to install it cheap…” I assume you are not suggesting that the poster hire someone without the skills to do the job. So if the sufficiently skilled contractor is Mexican, why should they be paid less than any other contractor? I’m sure your intent was only to help the poster with a suggestion for his beautiful home but it feels wrong for that comment to go unchallenged. Forgive me if I misinterpreted the meaning of your comment.
2 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 12:16AM
monicagordon
DON'T DO IT (for all the above reasons)!!! We have a similar-looking house with vertical cedar siding needing replacement and investigated mentioned fabricated products. Could not find a product with vertical boards other than large sheets that would need horizontal trim at the junctions of the panels, destroying the vertical look. You could change to a horizontal look but that's not what we felt kept the look we wanted.
Went with cedar and light gray stain, and LOVE it.
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 1:16AM
Wausau Homes Bemidji
Rick, One of the biggest mistake most people make when building a home is pushing the house too far into the ground. Sounds like you made a good decision on height, but the flip side is exposed concrete. A lower cost product that can be utilized to address the bare concrete is a troweled on product called Tuff II. It is in our big box stores here in MN. Read more at: http://styro.net/TuffIIFoamAndICFCoating.html. The ledgestone I referred to is more of a look. With stone, you will have more investment to get it done, but it sure would look good with that cedar siding. You would need to find a regional stone supplier or showroom to look at the possibilities, but if you want to research, you can check out http://www.brockwhite.com/masonry-products. Keep in mind that Brockwhite is a midwest supplier. But you can get a sense of the product choices, such as natural stone, prostone, cultured stone, thin brick, etc.
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 6:46AM
Rick, right now there is a big resurgence of young people who want modern style homes - especially well built 27 year old homes with good lines - particularly something like cedar siding. Even painted cedar is superior to the other cladding options - cedar will last 80 years where all the other products are perhaps given a 20 - 25 year warranty. You don't know what you have. You don't have to worry about your home being difficult to sell, you will get a premium for a cedar sided home.

As for the "how do I keep my house looking fresh to sell" query, here is some advice. Get new modern oversized light fixtures - this is a good place to search / one example http://www.lightingdirect.com/plc-lighting-plc-8026-transitional-1-light-ambient-lighting-outdoor-wall-sconce-ceiling-flushmount-from-the-piccolo-collection/p1683596?collection=PLC%20Lighting%20Piccolo&term=PLC%20Lighting%20Piccolo
Paint the front door a bright citrus green, keep the side door darker. Consider a taupe stain next time you stain the house - gray-brown. Make the contractor for your roof take off and put back on every cedar element that is part of the envelope that keeps your house dry - you should take a look at them for your own information while - most wood 27 years later wouldn't come off nicely whole - yours will still be going strong.
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 7:21AM
spartan2dn
Recommend the person suggesting "...find some Mexican contractors..." edit their post. I find the remark offensive!
4 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 7:37AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
You can't edit ignorance
2 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 7:55AM
studio | FORMA
"You can't edit ignorance"..................I love that!!! well said! ;)
2 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 10:18AM
Rick OBrien
Thanks for your help everyone
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:32AM
Ellsworth-Hallett Home Professionals
If resale is in your future, play to your strengths. It's never going to be a new colonial (oxymoron there, but you get my point) vinyl box, so don't try to be. The house was designed to blend into the wooded setting. IMHO I think the current stain color is too red, I would lean toward the greys or blacks, all one color. Frankly, I would be more concerned with the interior. 28 years old- if the words formica, popcorn ceilings, or cultured marble can be used to describe the interior, those are the things that will turn off buyers.
2 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:51AM
Love your house with the authentic siding…here is a beautiful home and in the description is gives info on the Cabot stain used.

0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 7:00AM
dessertsbydeign
Cedar is the real-deal, thats why all the companies have 'looks like cedar' products. If you are going to sell in the upcoming couple of years, get it washed and stained, and preserve the look and design. Nothing kills curb appeal like a plastic home ! And as for your roofers, they just want to make their life easier. The new owners will love you for it.
0 Likes   June 1, 2014 at 9:39PM
smileyface2013
Rick, what did you decide to do? Please update!
0 Likes   October 1, 2014 at 2:04PM
Kristi Hale
Please don't replace with vinyl! Your house is pretty amazing the way it is, all you need to do it clean it up a bit and do like others have said and spruce up the landscaping, update the exterior lights, add potted plants in front of the garage doors and maybe repaint the exterior doors from the green to something more appealing.
0 Likes   October 17, 2014 at 7:05AM
Is this real cedar siding or vinyl?
If it is vinyl, what is the brand and color? Thank...
Johanna Wise_Segatti
siding real cedar or vinyl?
If vinyl, could you share the make and color? Thanks!...
Johanna Wise_Segatti
Need help with paint color for a very dark bedroom.
My 14 x 14 master bedroom is very dark. It has one...
homeinmontana
Chicken or the Egg?
I have a textured ceiling with a stress crack. When...
Patricia Badaczewski
I have a niche in the entry of my new mid century house...
It's approx 2 ft wide and 4 ft tall. Currently have...
lattebugg
need help with my bathroom
If I have 100 sq ft for a wall, how many 12"x12" tiles...
2067031ms
Long skinny room - help!
Please help us with our living room! Any ideas on furniture...
jeffandchealsey