New Spanish home with a kitchen flooring quandary.
nilysteinberg
June 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are rebuilding our Californian, spanish home. The framing is almost done, and I am scouring Houzz and looking at finishes.

1) WHAT FLOORING DO I USE IN THE KITCHEN?

Most of the home will be hard wood...and I love the look of spanish tile, but everyone is telling me its a mistake...it will be hard on your feet in the kitchen, it will crack, too much up keep...The up keep issue is the part that intimidates me. If I choose a porcelain tile instead, will it look cheap? The kitchen will be primarily white with dark beams. I want a dark island.

Another friend says, "do hard wood through out," but I have three boys and heavy traffic. Lots of spills and I probably wont notice or see things immediately to clean up constant mess.

2) Also, granite or Ceasarstone for the countertops?

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claasen
I had hardwood in 2 previous kitchens and loved it - easy to clean and stood up to everything.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 8:11AM
michigammemom
Have you considered a travertine floor in your kitchen? It has a very natural and slightly rustic look that might suit your Spanish style.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 8:13AM
felixgrantham
Lucky you!

I have large grout lines in my kitchen that are the bane of my existence. If you go tile (and there are some truly lovely ones out now), go for the 18" tiles & have them set with the minimum grout line.

By Spanish tile, I assume you mean Saltillo. It does have a tendency to crack. A couple of other options are the Pergo & other good-looking lino's that look like wood, or finished concrete.

2) - flip a coin. But if you go Granite, be sure to see the actual slabs first. My friend got granite that looks like someone barfed on the counter. Pretty expensive mistake.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 8:14AM
PRO
Lehman Design Studio
Have you considered cork? It is very durable and it easy on the eyes when transitioning from a hardwood. If your boys drop a plate on cork, you pick it up and wash it. Drop a plate on Travertine and everyone cries.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 8:24AM
nilysteinberg
Thank you all so much for your advice. Claasen, you said that wood has worked well for you. This is the general feedback I am getting from my local friends/experts. If the dishwasher overflows...do you think I will be in trouble?
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:20PM
nilysteinberg
michgammemom, I love the hood over the stove. Is this your home or something that you liked from Houzz.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:23PM
nilysteinberg
Flexigrantham, Would you do the wood or the tile...I will go check out some 18" options?
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:29PM
Nancy Hehmann
I have had 2 hardwood floors in kitchens. They do not stand up to large dogs or lots of traffic in one area. I would do travertine if I have it to do over. Dog is older will wait... As for dishes breaking, I still love Corelle ware. They have a website with lots of designs. Rare, rare breakage and I can stack quickly, click them together and they keep on keeping on. Have use them for over 40 yrs.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 1:29PM
nilysteinberg
This is the wood that I chose in our price range, Ark Acacia Morning Coffee
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 2:11PM