Kitchen Back splash...Which one? help please..
sid62
Have this very busy kitchen counter top, the cabinets are in wengue. I cannot decide what design and colours to use for the back splash.
patpwr
Love choice #3. I'd try it vertical
June 6, 2013 at 8:57am   
intoit
Those all seem too busy to me, but I like the color of the small round tiles. Maybe you could find subway in those tones.
June 6, 2013 at 8:59am     
Tina Hou
i think choice number 3 is also most elegant!
June 6, 2013 at 8:59am     
bobbi c.
I love choice number one. After putting in little brick glass tiles in my backsplash, I realized what a pain they were to clean.
June 6, 2013 at 9:00am     
D John Design
Either choice 3 or choice 1. Think that choice one will brighten up the kitchen a lot. Choice 3 is a bit more dead on with color and it will blend more.
June 6, 2013 at 9:02am   
janices2012
I like # 2 best - doesn't look like it will be dated as fast
June 6, 2013 at 9:03am   
persimmon369
They may look quite different in person, but from the photos, #3 is my favorite.
June 6, 2013 at 9:05am   
Molly McGarvey/ Bay Plumbing Supply & Sh
#3 and I like the idea of tiling them vertical. This is a better selection with the granite
June 6, 2013 at 9:05am     
cocoanlace
I like choice number 1. It's unconventional, warm and uplifting. It stimulates the appetite for some reason. Without seeing your entire decorating aesthetic, I don't know if it's a fit, but I sure love it.
June 6, 2013 at 9:06am     
Tina Hou
well i have something similiar to choice 3 backsplash ...only i used white quartz countertop...and it looks great. In a sense i do agree with intoit saying it seems kind of busy....because your countertop you picked has so much colors all in it already...
did you try to pick some more one color backsplashes....there are some that have great design but not too many colors all in it
June 6, 2013 at 9:07am     
calidesign
Number one is the only one that's not too busy. I think the small rectangular tiles are too busy for your granite choice. I would look at a larger, cream color subway tile, or something similar.
June 6, 2013 at 9:14am     
0825sam
I agree - love the color and variation of the penny rounds but feel they are too busy for the counter. I would look for that in a subway tile or a longer version of the classic size if you want something different.
June 6, 2013 at 9:19am     
etlewis
Don't like the style if #1 but the lighter color is good. Others too dark. How about something in glass subway?
June 6, 2013 at 9:20am     
michigammemom
Your granite has "spots" of color, so I would not repeat the spots with the penny tile.
June 6, 2013 at 9:31am   
sid62
thank you for all the suggestions. Any suggestion for the color of the subway tile? Does the subway tile better in glass ? I have difficulty looking for one but will try to source out more suppliers .
June 6, 2013 at 9:33am   
Mark
I really like the penny rounds ( 1). Stay light on the grout though, not dark. Once grouted it will give a nice texture to your backsplash and add some brightness. They only look busy because the picture shown is with no grout, but would look much different when grouted with a light grout.
June 6, 2013 at 9:38am     
roseannfrank
#1 is the happiest, brightest, cleanest choice for a kitchen. The other two, while elegant, are too dark and will look depressing with the granite..
June 6, 2013 at 9:46am     
I like vertical tile best. But don't see a choice I like. Try something with more black and the lighter beige. Keep looking.
June 6, 2013 at 9:49am   
leo52
White or cream color subway tile with matching grout. Everything else in the kitchen is already too dark and busy. Your accessories throug out the kitchen should be the same color as the backsplash for continuity. Ex. Cream colored platter for fruit/ cream colored vase with flowers/ cream colored towels etc..... It will brighten your kitchen en tone down the busy counter.
June 6, 2013 at 9:49am   
Julia Allen
They're all interesting, but the combination with the counter top in each case is too busy for me. Your taste is always the best guide, but for me, a less visually busy combination is better. You might consider a plain dark tile or even stainless.
June 6, 2013 at 9:55am     
Doris Savard artist
Number 1 is definitely the way to go
June 6, 2013 at 10:04am     
andrewdesigninc
Visually the penny rounds, in the first picture are my choice. Frankly I'm so tired of seeing glass tile and even subway tile for that matter. I have been in a few homes lately that have used the penny rounds and it looks spectacular. Good luck with your kitchen!
June 6, 2013 at 10:05am     
Try a chocolate subway tile
June 6, 2013 at 10:07am     
rbdean
Definitely the rounds with a light grout. Once completed it won't look as busy. I really think it'll give a nice soft look that will look great with your floors!
June 6, 2013 at 10:09am     
brlg
Backsplashes attract all kinds of "stuff" (grease, splashes, etc.) and anything with grout will be difficult to maintain. I've always used solid granite, same as countertop, to make cleaning easy a breeze; and the look is always cohesive.
June 6, 2013 at 10:10am     
althepal
#3 if you are done with the choices, but remember the back splash could take away from the beautiful tile if you're not careful. Stainless back splash might be nice. Have fun!
June 6, 2013 at 10:12am     
airsafe
Use your granite for the backsplash also.
June 6, 2013 at 10:20am     
natikier
The white penny rounds will have absolutely nothing in common with the natural brown colors in the granite.
The other two choices almost clash in style with the granite and create a too-busy look. I would pick one of the colors that is in the granite, perhaps the lightest color, and use only that color in the backsplash. I would love to help you if you are interested in going shopping together. Natikier@aol.com is my main email. I am soon on linkedin as nikolichna if you would like to see my credentials.
June 6, 2013 at 10:22am     
studio10001
The colour of the subway tile you requested will have something to do with wall and floor selections. I'd only suggest a light subway to balance an overly dark scheme, or conversely, a dark subway to balance an otherwise light scheme. The #2 and #3 tiles above would look well as accent bands within either a light or dark subway choice.
June 6, 2013 at 10:23am   
getting1
The penny looks nice in photo one but I would pick one with a matte glaze, not a glossy glaze. Stick with a lighter color grout like mark suggests.

Also, there is a non-staining grout out there but beware, it's a pain to install but in a small area like a backsplash, you should be ok. I've read an article in older issue of Fine Homebulilding magazine on how to do it.

The others look too busy plus all the high gloss surfaces look overdone. A matte glaze is still easy to clean but isn't so harsh on the eyes. Are you putting in under cabinet lighting? The highly reflective surface of the granite, the glossy backsplash, plus lighting might be too much. Good luck and post after photos, please.
June 6, 2013 at 11:19am     
Omacollectionsanddesigns
#1 choice is the best because the color variation in the polished stone coins enriches the ambiance and it will create a beautiful contrast against the granite top and t he wengue cabinet. Have loads of fun while you are it
June 6, 2013 at 11:33am     
Sara Parker
How about big granite tiles that match the counter top? Simple. Easy to clean. Sleek. I'm hating glass tiles that have too much internal contrast.
June 6, 2013 at 11:44am     
betsyweisberg
Please consider using cream glass tile in big subway size
Safe and neutral bringing in shine and simplicity
Good luck
June 6, 2013 at 11:48am     
tbgold
I can't believe it! I have the exact same countertop and am currently changing my backsplash (have white subway tiles currently). I did not want to introduce another tile so I elected to go with the same granite in a 15 x 15 tile for the backsplash - giving it a continual look. BTW, I got the granite tile to match at CIOT (in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada). Under separate cover, I will ask for suggestions on placement of the tiles over countertop build in stove elements. Good luck!
June 6, 2013 at 11:58am     
0825sam
If you want something different than subway tile (I can understand that as it does seem to be fairly ubiquitous) and you like the penny rounds, maybe you can find a 2x2 hexagon mosaic. The tiles will be larger so less busy.
June 6, 2013 at 12:02pm   
0825sam
Best Tile is primarily in the northeast, but they have a lot of hexagon mosaic options, here is a link to one - I didn't pay too much attention to getting the color right, but I just wanted to give you a visual http://www.besttile.com/index.php?mact=Products,cntnt01,details,0&cntnt01accent_type=3&cntnt01pagelimit=96&cntnt01summarytemplate=mosaic_tile_line_list&cntnt01productid=283&cntnt01returnid=90
June 6, 2013 at 12:03pm   
0825sam
This is with a calacatta marble which I don't think would go with your counters, but I just wanted to show you a backsplash with hexagon tiles - there aren't many on houzz so you know you'll be doing something unique

June 6, 2013 at 12:08pm     
Laura
I don't like any of them with the granite. All are too busy. The granite should be the star here, use a plain subway tile backsplash and let accessories add the rest of the pattern to the room.
June 6, 2013 at 12:41pm   
sid62
Thank you all, I'll try to look for more options. Initially I was thinking of using the same granite but due to limited supply of wide granite, I do not like the idea of joining 2 together especially where the canopy range hood sits since I'm afraid the joint part will be too obvious. Please continue to send sample pictures and keep suggestions coming. Very much appreciated.
June 6, 2013 at 6:27pm   
sid62
I found some more tiles. I can't seem to find subway tiles in this country. By the way , my floor is in cream ,60 x 60 inches in size .hope to get more suggestions. The first is a 20 x 30 tile , the 3 rd one is quartz in slabs.
June 7, 2013 at 6:45am   
intoit
Surprised that subway tile is not almost everywhere. I think the penny rounds with the light grout may be your best bet then. The quartz slab may work, but hard to tell from the picture.
June 7, 2013 at 11:02am     
roseannfrank
Here are photos of my granite (lighter than yours), a closeup of my tiles and granite, and the kitchen as a whole. After 10 years I still love the tiles because the colors of the tiles are matte which offsets the glossy granite, the tiles pick up the colors in the granite and the cabinets, and the tiles are lighter than the granite. While the tiles may look busy in a closeup, when you look at the kitchen as a whole you will see how lovely it all looks. Also, the grout still looks as clean as the day it was installed.
June 7, 2013 at 11:28am     
tbgold
I will be using the 15 x 15 granite tiles which are the exact match of my granite countertops. Because it is a granite tile, my contractor (whom I trust!) advises that the joint will not be very noticeable as it is a very tight fit (similar to joining granite on a counterop). Need suggestions on placement of tiles behind the built in countertoop stovetop. The joins under cabinets will be fine as it is 15" high. I know it's a personal preference but just trying to get some more options please.
June 7, 2013 at 12:53pm     
sid62
Thank you, will try to shop again today . Mark the attached pictures is also a suggestion for my kitchen as well as tbgold right? I recall seeing something like that. I will check again. I am attaching pictures of my kitchen taken awhile back. I'm away at the moment so I can't get the most current one , this is just without the countertops yet .can anybody please suggest how far will I go with the back splash ? I almost have an 11 feet ceiling, my kitchen height I think is only 8 feet. I would have preferred it to be higher but can't do much as this stage.another dilemma!!
June 7, 2013 at 4:10pm   
sid62
The second picture above is the better version of number 3 . The other one is another quartz slab. Here are the kitchen pictures .
June 7, 2013 at 4:15pm   
Ann
This is an article from a previous Houzz backsplash discussion. Maybe it will be useful. I'd keep it simple. http://www.mariakillam.com/2010/12/which-backsplash-tile-goes-with-granite.html/
June 7, 2013 at 4:22pm     
pattih2013
From the pictures, my choice would be the granite from picture #3 with the back-splash from picture #1. The colors seem to complement each other and the style (for me) last longer. As said here before, it would be easier to clean and by keeping the grout light on the back-splash would give a calmer/elegant look.
June 7, 2013 at 4:32pm   
studio10001
To the base of the upper cabinets. tbgold, you may wish to start a thread of your own, if suggestions for sid 62 do not already apply?
June 7, 2013 at 5:29pm   
sid62
Thanks studio10001. Do you mean from bottom to just the base of the cabinets, therefore no need to tile the back of the canopy range hood? Due to the lack of supply,, some of the tiles do not have much in stocks.
June 7, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Mark
sid62 my suggestion was for your kitchen only.
June 7, 2013 at 6:31pm   
studio10001
No, (I am now sad to say). The tile should incorporate the hood, as well. If supply is an issue, however, the area below the hood can be a good place for coordinating tiles, or mosaic, which can help stretch your main selection to go farther.
June 7, 2013 at 6:34pm   
beansly
I love the small circles
June 7, 2013 at 6:44pm   
sid62
Hi I found some more tiles either cream or latte or the 3rd picture thanks again for all your help.
June 7, 2013 at 8:39pm     
sid62
Sorry it's cream the first plain tile on the left, then latte and tile with vertical stripe.
June 7, 2013 at 8:40pm   
sid62
I hope this is cleare.
June 7, 2013 at 8:42pm   
Sue Potter
I dont know. I 'm having mine done in the next week or so and after looking for months I decided to stick with a full granite back splash. Its easy to clean NO grout. I had tile before and with kitchen grease and spaghetti sauces and messes it's very difficult to keep clean. Plus cost it was only 150.00 difference from hiring a contractor to put in tile. So with that said. I think you should consider matching the back splash with your counters. Plus the coin tiles are nice but wait a few years the grout will be a mess and cost a fortune to clean professinally or replace.
June 7, 2013 at 9:21pm   
femelf
I wouldn't go with either. You have a busy benchtop, so butting it up to a busy tile won't look right.
You could try a light subway tile. It'll keep it clean and fresh looking and most importantly will contrast with your benchtop
June 7, 2013 at 9:33pm   
jonssun
I would use the same granite on the backsplash. Less busy, uniform and clean looking
June 7, 2013 at 9:41pm   
mveasey
I would use the same granite or the sand/cream quartz option. Why not wait, until more supply comes? Given that is is from the same rock...
When people say it looks busy, just picture your kitchen after a large meal with all the kitchen cluttered plus stripes in the back and the countertop pattern...
If unsure, I would wait with a backspash, it can always be installed at a later time, do not rush those permanent installations!
June 7, 2013 at 10:35pm   
Mark
Do not use a back splash tile that will compete and lessen the impact of the countertop and the clean lines of your contemporary cupboards. You may also want to consider how the look of the kitchen will coordinate with other adjacent living areas especially if the entire area is wide open. Not everything can be the star in your kitchen something has to take a supporting role. Staying with something very neutral as a backsplash would be a wise thing, especially with all the dark cabinetry and dark countertop surfaces, adding anything dark for a backsplash would be the wrong thing to do in my opinion. Look at the two pictures below and see the difference how a dark backsplash and light backsplash look, it all depends on the look you are trying to achieve.
June 8, 2013 at 4:33am     
I second Mark's advice. Keep it simple (and light). Don't compete with your granite or it will be chaotic.
June 8, 2013 at 4:36am     
sid62
Thanks for all your responses and suggestions, it can be very daunting, We've been trying to finish the house and I'm stuck with the kitchen at the moment. All your suggestions have been a great help. So far, I'm tossing between these 3 tiles , the second and the third is size 4 x 12 and I'm planning to lay it like subway tiles depending on your comments too. Hope they are light enough, it is either the cream or the latte.thank you Mark for posting these pictures.would you still prefer the penny tiles over these 2 , either color?
June 8, 2013 at 5:34am   
I think both the cream and the latte tiles are beautiful. Either would look great. The penny tile is too busy for my taste. You might consider either a more modern stacked arrangement or the traditional offset brick layout.
June 8, 2013 at 5:38am     
dianahb
I'm late in this discussion-- but just wanted to say that I love the penny rounds. We just re-did a bathroom, and I agonized for months over these penny rounds (which are like yours, in variation of each round and in finish, but in a pale blue/gray). We put them on the floor of the bathroom-- with a free-standing tub-- and I can tell you that I worried over nothing. I was worried they would be busy, but they're not at all (especially if you choose a light grout). We love those penny rounds. Once installed, they blend in and appear like a subtle mosaic. I love them and get so many compliments on our floor.

Also, if you've ever seen the site, Young House Love, they put in penny rounds in their kitchen -- backsplash-- and it looked beautiful-- like a lovely wall color, but with texture. If you Google that, it will come up in their archives. Worth taking a look. But I think the penny rounds will give what you've chosen a real lift. They just make you feel good and seem happy-- everyday. And I don't think they'll be dated at all, since they are not new (been around since the 1930's, at least). The penny rounds will blend; in comparison, the narrow vertical/horizontal strips appear very busy.
June 8, 2013 at 5:54am   
Turner Legacy Homes
This looks like Baltic Brown granite - is that right? If it is I like option #3 vertical as well.
June 8, 2013 at 5:59am   
eileenmcf
The penny tiles seem way too
Busy with that granite. I tens to like busy look too! The granite is dramatic already and very pretty so i feel like possibly a larger tile with a warm color- stone like look tile not that shiney look? just and idea.
June 8, 2013 at 6:04am   
Mark
Now that I have seen how contemporary your cupboards are I am leaning towards the cream subway tile, it will tie in your cream floor nicely and be a nice break between the dark cabinets and dark countertop. Like I pointed out, if your kitchen is open to other rooms make sure your backsplash will blend in nicely with your color scheme in those areas as well. I would lay them like feeny suggested and that is not in the traditional brick pattern but a stacked arrangement for a nice clean contemporary look.
June 8, 2013 at 6:14am     
dianahb
I'll just add here-- to make your life more difficult-- I would not put granite on a kitchen countertop. If I was going with tile (not a synthetic one piece), I would find a beautiful porcelain. Granite has its own problems, and I've actually never seen a granite that I found very appealing. In fact, I would never choose a natural stone for a kitchen countertop (and this from someone who put in limestone on their countertops). Never again. Granite is a better choice than limestone, for sure, but I still would never do it. There are some amazing looking porcelains out there, and you would never run into the issues of natural stone on a kitchen countertop.
June 8, 2013 at 6:27am   
lewlew
I'm also late in the discussion but like Mark said you have to consider the overall look between your kitchen and the other rooms it may open up into. You must consider the flooring too. If it also is patterned and your granite has large speckles of colour then you need to decide if you want to add another layer of pattern. Don't do a dark backsplash please. Your cabinets are a rich dark colour and it needs a lighter backsplash to really "pop". Nothing says look at me in your kitchen than a light backsplash with dark rich cabinetry.

Does your kitchen open up into other spaces? TV room? Family room? Do you get a lot of natural light? What is the sun exposure, east, south, etc? Lots to consider but all worth it.

Remember your backsplash is considered a 'hardsurface' meaning not something you peel off in a day because you don't like it anymore. It will cost you time and money for a redo down the line. Remember also, you can add colour, texture and pattern in other things like: wall art, hardware, paint, window finishings ( think bamboo roller blinds: colour, pattern and texture in one) and even in hand towels. Think neutral for longevity for your hard surfaces. Think colour, texture and pattern for your 'accessories' and decorative pieces in your kitchen. This way you can change it up every season if you like or whenever you feel a need to liven it up with a punch of colour.

My choice would be the cream subway in a 'stacked' pattern giving you the 'vertical' clean look rather than the traditional subway 'staggererd' pattern you see all the time. I've done this in our master ensuite in a stacked pattern and its clean, fresh an modern. If you want to add an element of 'traditional' then go for subway staggered installation. Search 'backpainted glass backsplash' for something even cleaner and more contemporary. I'm doing this for our kitchen backsplash. It's tempered glass in a sheet with a reflective quality like any glass subway tile but NO grout lines.
Thanks for reading.
June 8, 2013 at 6:35am     
jadolph
I agree. Too busy!!
June 8, 2013 at 6:41am   
luvmyorkie1
Sometimes simple is better... too many patterns and details will void each other out. Make one the star, the focal point.
June 8, 2013 at 6:46am     
Design By Pisces
What Julia Allen said i agree but also the cream subway tiles are nice too . You also have to take in consideration on resale in the future and the focal point of the kitchen ,is it the counter tops,cabinets,floor ect
June 8, 2013 at 7:02am   
Ann
I like the cream subway tile.
June 8, 2013 at 7:11am   
kimhaskell
We have similar granite and we agonized for months. Decided on walnut travertine 4 rows then 3 rows of black/white.grey 1" glass tile then 2 more travertine. We LOVE it!
June 8, 2013 at 7:20am   
kimhaskell
Travertine subways I meant. I think the tiles you chose with a thin strip of the pennies would be very nice!
June 8, 2013 at 7:26am   
Ann
I'd keep it very simple. Our kitchen has a decorative strip within the splash and I wish it was plain and simple instead. It looks a little dated.
June 8, 2013 at 7:43am   
I agree that decorative strips are usually what people get tired of first in a backsplash. Simpler back splashes are usually more timeless.
June 8, 2013 at 7:56am     
cfayers
Choice number one is a more custom look. If you are looking to resell, I would not choose it. How ever I do love it. It is playful. If it suits your personality and you are not selling any time soon, I would go with that one. I also think it is the best colour choice and once it is grouted it won't look too busy.
June 8, 2013 at 8:47am   
sid62
Thank you all for taking the time to give your suggestions and expertise. I am leaning towards either the cream or the latte although I like the uniqueness of the penny, it is a difficult decision. My husband prefers the latte. Yes it would look simple and pretty stacking the tiles rather than the brick look. I wish I could return the granite and get a simpler quartz but its too late now. Even the kitchen was not a first choice . Anyway, anymore suggestions and feedback is still appreciated , I am looking forward to a great finish.
June 8, 2013 at 3:36pm   
sid62
If anyone has a picture similar to my granite which is Baltic brown with a simpler backsplash that would be great. I guess it is better to have something visual , I don't have any styling experience nor very good at interior styling although very keen to learn and interested. Thank you all.
June 8, 2013 at 3:40pm   
gusaroo
Late also...lewlew made some great points. I like the cream subway tiles the best.
June 8, 2013 at 4:07pm   
Studio one. I think some zebra would look good. Only kidding inside joke.
June 8, 2013 at 4:09pm     
Mark
Here are some Baltic brown countertops with different backsplashes
June 8, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Mark
one more
June 8, 2013 at 4:14pm   
billins
i have the exact same problem as you. I have a dark sapphire brown counter top and can't find a light tile to match. Be careful of using flat subway tile as I have been warned that they only look best with a flat cabinet door. I think I will have to go with Mark's suggestion. Keep it simple in one light beige colour for best results. If I had it to do over again, I would pick a light or white counter top as it allows you so much more in selecting any number of colours and types of back splashes.
June 8, 2013 at 4:31pm   
grewa002
I agree with Mark and others. With a busy granite, you need a quiet, light coloured backsplash
June 8, 2013 at 4:40pm   
dianahb
Well, okay. Here's one more push for those beautiful penny rounds you initially chose. I think you would be very surprised at how well those penny rounds blend and fade-- especially if you use a grout that matches. It will look like a soft beige wall, but with depth. And they're just so much more fun that the ubiquitous subway tile. And of the 5 images shown above, the first two would be fine-- but the penny rounds would be so much less busy than any of those last 3 choices. Those kitchens are so busy, I don't know where to rest my eyes. The first two backslashes, with the subway tiles, do recede-- much like the penny rounds would. Either choice would work fine and not be busy. I just think the penny rounds are more unexpected and so more interesting. Okay, so that's my last 2 cents on the subject. ;)
June 8, 2013 at 4:53pm     
Mark
Here are penny rounds in cream tones much like the ones you chose on quite a bit of wall surface. This is not busy at all. It looks gorgeous. Penny rounds could look busy if you used dark grout because then you see the outline of all those little circles. The key is to use a grout that matches the lightest shade of the penny rounds and then it's just a wall of beautiful soft texture. If I were you I would pay for a square foot or so put them on a scrap board and grout them and then hold them up to your cupboards so you can get a better idea of what they look like with grout. If you don't like it then your not out that much and can eliminate them from your choices.
June 8, 2013 at 5:47pm     
lm_campbell
Go with 3 to minimize contrasting patterns
June 8, 2013 at 6:01pm   
Ann
After seeing Mark's pictures, I still say cream subway tile. I love his first picture.
June 8, 2013 at 6:22pm   
lewlew
Ok..penny rounds look great but now you need to consider your cooking style. Do you rarely cook? Or are you an avid cook or just somewhere in between? Are you worried about staining all that grout with sauces and oils? That's the next dilemma. How much cooking splatter are you willing to clean up from the penny round grout lines?
June 8, 2013 at 10:40pm   
getting1
If you are worried about cleaning the grout, use epoxy grout. It's suppose to be non-staining and doesn't need to be sealed. Read http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/a-fearless-approach-to-epoxy-grout.aspx?ac=ts&ra=fp
June 9, 2013 at 12:31am   
castellanol
Definitely don't just pick something to get it complete, you will be sorry (just paint for now until you find something you are sure about).

Suggest you read LewLew again.

Since your style is contemporary, I would go with the lighter subway installed STACKED (installing it in a brick pattern is way too traditional), or the penny rounds. Go for a quiet backsplash, anything busy I will bet you will hate it in a few years.

Please update with photos.
June 9, 2013 at 3:16am     
sid62
Thank you very much everyone, especially Mark who made sure I get each and every pictures . I didn't realise I will get all these attention and help and we don't even know each other. I will definitely post some pictures once finished. I will have to get back to the supplier and get samples so I can place them along the wall. by now the countertops should have been finished , yes Lewlew that is a good point and you hit it right, I do not like oil stains and cleaning grouts thus I made sure I have the smallest gaps on all of the shower tiles.
June 9, 2013 at 6:38am     
Ann
sid62 - backsplash discussions always tend to get many responses:) It's an important aspect of the kitchen - if done right you'll have a perfect kitchen. All too often though, backsplashes are overdone. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.
June 9, 2013 at 6:46am     
dianahb
Right after I said I wouldn't comment again-- here I am-- but this is just a follow-up to lew-lew's comment above. We put limestone (pale) in our kitchen nearly 20 years ago-- backsplash and countertops. We cook a lot. The backsplash (again, pale limestone with light, almost white grout) looks like it was put in yesterday. The countertops are another story. The grout lines are fine, but the countertop limestone definitely has a "patina" to it.

However, as far as the backsplash-- our stainless stove does have a stainless back that goes right up to the hood (so no limestone directly behind the stove)-- but we just never had an issue with grease or any dirt on the surrounding backsplash. So I just don't think that's an issue-- unless the backsplash has to go directly behind the stove/burners (as shown in picture above, with penny rounds-- and in a lot of these pictures that are shown here). If that's the case with your kitchen-- then I would not use the penny rounds (grout is larger). I would use the subway tile where those grout lines can be 1/16" of an inch or close to it. (I also suggest not using beveled subway tile.) And if you haven't put in your stove yet, I'd think about a back that goes with the stove itself, rather than having to tile directly behind the stove-- Hope that makes sense. Good luck!
June 9, 2013 at 7:00am   
roseannfrank
I still love, love, love the beautiful and soft-colored penny rounds. I have never liked subway tiles––that would discourage me as a potential buyer. They are boring in my opinion and remind me of the subways, having grown up in New York. I cook a lot and have never had a problem with grout because I have a 12" stainless steel backsplash behind the burners with tiles above that as you can see in my photo above. Good luck!
June 9, 2013 at 9:40am   
tbgold
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. We are having the matching granite tiles installed tomorrow - cant wait. Will post pics of the completed backsplash.
June 9, 2013 at 5:01pm   
face39
The pennies are cool. But too much grout to be practical for a kitchen. I like the slab idea for simplicity. Color-wise....trust your gut.
June 9, 2013 at 10:37pm   
BSB General Contracting and Development
I like this choice.
June 9, 2013 at 10:41pm   
getting1
dianahb,

You may want to try using a steam clean on your countertop. It probably won't hurt. I'd have a cloth or two to wipe up the excess water but ig steam cleaning can get soot out of brick above a fireplace, it should be able to get cooking residue out of a countertop.
June 9, 2013 at 10:48pm   
dianahb
getting1: Thanks so much for that tip. We're actually thinking of changing out our sink to a farmhouse sink, so we'll probably end up keeping our backsplash all around and just replace the countertops with a porcelain that will go well with the limestone. That will make the sink easier to install, too. The kitchen is not big, and the countertop space is relatively small (about 20 sq feet)-- and I don't want to deal with a natural stone countertop anymore. ;)
June 10, 2013 at 8:03am   
bobbi c.
dianahb, if you do change your sink, make sure the underlying wooden structure is strong enough to support it, and isn't too small to fit the sink in. We made that mistake in a former custom house. I wanted a huge sink, but they'd already built the cabinets. We had to cut some of the new underlying structure out, and it was a mess. Just a thought. :-)
June 10, 2013 at 11:13am   
dianahb
Thanks, bobbi c. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I definitely hear you. Given our constraints (size) with existing cabinetry-- which we have measured, our options are limited for sure. But thanks for the heads-up. We may end up not going with the farmhouse sink-- but I'm definitely replacing those countertops. I love the look, concept, and practicality of a countertop that goes directly over a sink-- no seams.
June 10, 2013 at 11:44am   
bobbi c.
I like the no seams thing, too. We used butcherblock slabs for our countertops, so had to have joins at the front and back of the sink. But they are well sealed and are barely noticeable. Good luck with your kitchen project! I think mine is done for a while. LOL
June 12, 2013 at 9:01am   
sid62
Hi, here I am again . The countertop has been placed and I was able to bring back the tiles for sample. hope this would help. The cream on the left and the latte on the right. I need your final vote. They both look good but I am leaning towards the cream. I also have the penny rounds since a number likes it too but my tiler seems to be in doubt of his capability to make it look good. Your vote and thought are much appreciated. Thank you.
June 15, 2013 at 3:05pm   
Renee Seel
I like the small cream, would catch the light.
June 15, 2013 at 3:09pm   
Mark
Final vote ( but only after hearing what you had to say about the tile installer) is cream but in a stacking pattern.
June 15, 2013 at 3:15pm     
lewlew
Cream subway tile in a stacked pattern. Remember you can always add colour by painting any adjacent walls, artwork, window treatments, bling from say a stainless steel kettle, fumehood (with good cfms and quiet motor) and lighting.
June 15, 2013 at 3:43pm     
getting1
I agree with lewlew
June 15, 2013 at 7:58pm   
clr315
Oh those penny rounds are great in my opinion but that's just it, an opinion. The shape and texture works so well for the contrast.
June 16, 2013 at 5:37am   
037755
I like the third one. It's kind of retro.
June 16, 2013 at 7:30am   
sid62
Thank you all.
June 17, 2013 at 2:39pm     
Ann
I like the cream.
June 17, 2013 at 3:26pm   
castellanol
Can you update with an after picture!
July 1, 2013 at 11:33am   
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Solid dark charcoal gray
PyramidDG.com
July 1, 2013 at 12:17pm   
dianahb
I just caught up on the last few posts. I will say that if you like the penny rounds, you should find an installer who knows how to do that, for sure. I wouldn't give up on them because your tiler can't lay them (or doesn't want to, because they are a pain to install). Find one who can. If my tiler said he wasn't sure he could make them look good, then I would have my doubts about whether he could make anything look good. Call your reputable local tile shop and ask for the name of their most stellar tiler. I still think the penny rounds look the best with the granite.
July 1, 2013 at 1:03pm   
help..!
Im looking for a modern but layed back teenage look...
New Home - Living Room
I need Help! The Living Room photo is of our new home....
Backyard deck
What material would you recommend for a deck? Pros...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Ideas for creating a romantic garden?
If you wanted to create a peaceful corner in your garden,...