Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeus1967

Just downsized - need to coordinate very small living area - ugly Fireplace

zeus1967
10 years ago
We have just moved into a much smaller home that has been with the original owner for the past 80 years. The fireplace is the first thing you see when walking into the house " it is horrible". The 2 windows on the side have the same curtains as the huge window in this room so they will need to match. I am open to pretty much anything and am not afraid to tackle projects. I am happy for any ideas and you most certainly will not hurt my feelings. Oh, BTW, the floor under the ugly rug are hardwood!

Comments (19)

• zeus1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    by the fireplace screen, do you mean the glass portion or the vents?
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    I mean the whole metal and glass contraption.
  • onthefence
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Now that's a room with some amazing potential! Congratulations ;-)

For starters, I would expose the hardwood. If it's been covered a long time, hopefully it won't take a lot of work to make it gorgeous.

It looks like the FP may have been converted to gas. Is that correct? If it's gas you can probably simply repaint the brick and paint the fireplace screen. To my eye the brick as it is is a little too bright white. The color scheme of your room can dictate the color of the brick. I've seen them painted a soft gray or taupe. Normally the brass portion of the screen is done in black but there are other colors available. There is a special heat safe paint for use around fireplaces. Be sure to use that and ventilate WELL when you paint.

You may get suggestions to reface the FP in stone or tile. Personally, I wouldn't. That looks great in some newer or larger home. The charm of your home IMO is in the original finishes and the brick just feels right.

If the FP is still wood, you may want to install stone or tile in front of the FP - both for safety and appearance. If you do need stone, the color of the stone can dictate the color you paint the bricks.

I'd definitely remove the curtains and replace with.... something ;-) Others here make great suggestions on window coverings. My initial thought is a roman blind of some kind. Hrrrmmm...just noticed your 2nd pic with the drapes. Now I'm not sure what would work best on the windows flanking the FP. It does feel like what's there now doesn't work.

If there is anywhere else in the room your TV could be placed, I think that would be a good thing. You could put a large painting or wall sculpture over the FP and a couple large statement pieces on the mantle. IMO you don't want to do a lot of small things. The beauty of your FP now is in it's simplicity!

Congratulations again on a great room that's going to get greater!
  • zeus1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wanted to put the TV NOT over the gas fireplace but Glenn wants it there. Small price to pay. I do love the simplicity of the home as well and agree the brick must stay. The white is defiantly too bright and screams at you when you walk in the front door. lol The drapes feel a little too formal for the brick and my style. I like browns and oranges in a room. I am really appreciating the comments, and I do agree it has a large degree of potential, I would like to keep it simple but comfortable with some artsy or decorative pieces. I will add the rest of the rooms walls so it may help with the feel of the room. I have never worked with a space so small and want to make the best of what there is.
    The one picture is of the lobby where you normally enter the house, very small with arched entrance
    The other picture is of the wall directly across from the big livingroom window. The table there now is too small or needs another piece there as the wall kills it.
  • zeus1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The adjoining kitchen is all BLUE:( with very loud wall paper. It will all take time and one room at a time. Thanks for the support.
  • J Barton
    10 years ago
    The TV needs to not sit ON the mantel. This is the 21st century, and I would do pretty much anything I could to get the TV mounted above the fireplace in place of art. Rather, AS art. Run a slideshow of actual art on it when it's not in use, that sort of thing.

Reduce the spaghetti going to the TV with a Wireless HDMI kit (IOGear makes a couple that get pretty good reviews) then stick all the TV-related detritus (Cable box, Xbox, DVD player, Home Theater PC, etc.) in an out of the way place - even in another room. All you need to bring to the TV at that point is power.

That, with the other suggestions above, would make that space a lot more livable in my mind.
  • onthefence
    10 years ago
    Ahhhh....spousal compromise. Gotta love it ;-) Perhaps as you change the look of the room, Glenn will have a change of heart about the TV!

I agree that all of the drapes feel a little too formal for the room. Your furniture fits beautifully there though! I do love your description of simple and comfortable but with some artsy deco pieces. Sounds perfect for this room!

I see the wallpaper in your 2nd set of photos. That is indeed BLUE!!

I'll be anxious to see where you go with this wonderful gem in the rough.
  • onthefence
    10 years ago
    BTW - I totally agree about the table on the wall. To me it doesn't feel too small but it does seem like it needs something above it. The table itself is gorgeous!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    You'll never regret under window built-ins for storage and good looks. Plenty of them to inspire you on HOUZZ!
    Magnolia · More Info
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    You could go for an arts and crafts tile fireplace look for this cute house.. You might want to hire a painter who can apply a basecoat and darker glaze to create the look.
  • zeus1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Johnathonbarton - I agree about the TV NOT sitting on the mantel, we have been in this house 6 days ( I have to find the bracket lol) All the wires will be tucked away hopefully soon. The art on the TV is a good idea!

Onthefence - I may move the tall painted cabinet by the door over beside the little table on the big wall ( the cabinet beside the door is too big i think. OR I have a beautiful picture I will take a picture and place it here for you. The wall still needs something... humm
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    I think the cabinet under the window idea, including a place to stash the tv when you aren't watching it, is a great idea.
  • zeus1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love that idea, the TV is a 63" though - I think there will have to be some sort of cabinetry there, i have some very good cabinetry makers in mind.
  • onthefence
    10 years ago
    I like the picture over the table! Do you think you need something larger there though? Hey, nothing wrong with an excuse to shop for art, right?

I do love your painted cabinet but it feels like it belongs right where it is to me. It feels like that area was just made for it to fit there.

The built ins under the window would be such a great thing. The TV could be on a swing arm in there and behind doors. You could pull it out and angle it toward any chair in the house!
  • dlbconductor
    10 years ago
    I wholeheartedly support Decoenthusiaste suggestion. Built-in cabinets would make a great focal point and add beauty at the same time.
  • Love Of Design
    10 years ago
    Just some idea's to think about
  • Love Of Design
    10 years ago
    Storage under the windows would be something I would suggest and maybe make the top of the storage a window seat
  • brewster10
    8 years ago

The big cabinet does look a little tall but your eye will look up instead of focusing on how small the room feels. I probably would put a big basket or vase on one or both sides of the small wall table to extend the look of the space.