White porch NEEDS color on the floors, ceiling and walls..... HELP!
Lisa Cadorette Kendrick
White bead board walls and ceiling... It's too white very blah. I think it needs color, but I'm stuck. This room is all windows and could be amazing... Help!
Lisa Cadorette Kendrick
And I have ordered new furniture that is neutral.
June 6, 2013 at 10:50AM   
Lynda Thomas Gibson
I Love the room ... first just brighten up the floor either with a nice hardwood real or lam. or warm wall to wall carpeting ... then take a look at it ... just repaint the celing white and have a look and see how you like it then ...
June 6, 2013 at 10:53AM   
Sara Parker
I love it all white. Very Scandinavian. Try bright pillows and rugs to add the colour you crave. I would even keep the furniture shades of white.
June 6, 2013 at 10:59AM     
tennischik
I would paint the ceiling a very light spa blue - it will look amazing. This way your room stays neutral with a kick up top. I would use porch and floor paint to give the floors a dark mahogany wood floor appearance and then cover that with a neutral area rug with accents of the spa blue. It is a beautiful room!
June 6, 2013 at 11:02AM     
I like the ceiling and the floor, at least what I see on my monitor, just as they are. I agree with Sara on the white….paint what isn't white white but a matte finish. Let the floor and the ceiling keep the pickled look.
June 6, 2013 at 11:03AM     
tennischick, I forty-love that particular blue. A great accent for her room.
June 6, 2013 at 11:04AM     
aimran
Love the room. Great potential. Agree with judyg and tennis girl.. Spa blue..
If that doesn't appeal to you faintest of greens. Neutral furniture should go with both. When does it arrive?
June 6, 2013 at 11:09AM   
aimran
Btw i love the floor colour. Keep it please.
June 6, 2013 at 11:10AM   
Lisa Cadorette Kendrick
What brand is "spa blue"?
June 6, 2013 at 11:11AM     
Nancy Hehmann
I absolutely love your room. If you want to bring in some color, you could add some drapes in between the windows. Pottery barn just happens to have some striped ones in various colors made in Sunbrella fabric (fade resistent indoor outdoor) I will post the link below. The colors include red, turquoise, navy and black striped.

You can also have photography of a place you love printed on metal and place it on an easel to add visual interest to your space. It could be of a place you love or dream to go. Etsy.com has lots of shopss that could help with this. I have a photography shop, nancyhehmann on Etsy. All of my photography can be customized to suit your needs.

The link for the drapes is below.
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/awning-stripe-outdoor-drape/?pkey=coutdoor-drapes&
June 6, 2013 at 11:16AM   
Mark A. De Castro Contracting
Could be a really nice room, but way to many things going on. First thing I would do is cover all the ceilings and walls with 3/8'' drywall and paint a color to your taste, leaving windows white. Your floors are a problem also, they
should run length wise to the room. I would either remove them and either replace with a light distressed hickory
plank floor in a dark color to give a nice contrast , or remove floor and lay down plywood and carpet the floor.
June 6, 2013 at 11:20AM     
karrie54
How about a different ceiling fan and some colorful pots with green plants in them.
June 6, 2013 at 11:20AM   
housemamma
Love the idea of a relaxing blue on the ceiling. What about painting a diamond pattern on the floor in a blue/grey color.
June 6, 2013 at 11:27AM     
jolieblue
Pale spa blue or aqua blue ceilings are a classic in the south for porches and sunrooms. They give a lovely illusion of sky above your head and add a touch of color that goes with everything. On outdoor porches it offers the added bonus of looking like "sky" to bugs, so they don't land on it and dirty it up.

Also, the floors appear to look nice as they are in the picture. I would caution against any dark color on the floor unless you are willing to clean it every day, as dark colors show everything. I would offer the following possibilities for consideration:

1) ceiling; pale aqua blue. Walls: light blue/green/gray such as Sherwin Williams Topsail or Rainwashed. Floor: porch paint in a mid-toned tan (or leave them as they are!) Then you can choose between a bright colorful palette, by bringing in colorful pillows and rugs and accents. Or a calmer palette by using tans, browns and grays with gray-blue accents.

2) ceiling: pale aqua blue. Walls: a soft creamy buttery yellow such as Benjamin Moore's Golden Straw. Floor left as is or painted with porch paint in a mid tan or mid toned blue-gray. Pillows and accents in a mix of blues and yellows.

3) white and tans on walls and floors. Room accents in neutral colors and natural fabrics.

In all of the above I would suggest natural elements such as sisal, grass lampshades and wicker or rattan. It's always effective in a sunroom.

This is a gorgeous room with so many possibilities!
June 6, 2013 at 11:30AM     
jolieblue
Oh no no no! Don't even think about covering those beautiful wood ceilings and walls with drywall! You have a treasure in this room which is full of character-capitalize upon it and bring out its beauty. Covering it up would be tragic.
June 6, 2013 at 11:34AM     
jolieblue
If you choose to go with a blue on the ceiling, be sure to make it very light and a warm blue rather than an icy blue. It needs to be lighter than you think and in tones of slightly greenish-blue toned down slightly with gray.
If you look on Pinterest there are many example of a color called Topsail by Sherwin Williams which is a good example of this. It will look bluer on the ceiling than it does on the paint chip.
June 6, 2013 at 11:39AM   
cashma1
Faced with similar issues we installed tongue in groove cedar boards in the ceiling plus and engineered floating hardwood floor - love it - see picture - room accented with yellowish paint and white trim
June 6, 2013 at 11:44AM   
tennischik
Oh love the idea by Housemamma of the floor. A distressed harlequin could be gorgeous.
June 6, 2013 at 11:45AM     
66marjorie
This is a beautiful sun room I found on Houzz
June 6, 2013 at 12:53PM     
msmliss
Beautiful potential in your room. It reminds me of designer Sarah Richardson's summer home. Take a look: http://www.hgtv.com/sarahs-summer-house/show/index.html
June 6, 2013 at 1:32PM   
Lynda Thomas Gibson
drop the ceiling fan down a little lower ... and get a nice palm leaf one ... brighten the floor with your liking and add colourful pillows accents , add some red in the room ... wow ... punch it up with accent colour !!!
June 6, 2013 at 1:41PM   
Environments by Design
I like the white. A coat of white paint will really give the space a fresh look. Add colorful accessories to your neutral furniture to add visual interest. Then you can change the accessories whenever you want for more or less color.
June 6, 2013 at 1:56PM     
aimran
ROOM INSPIRATION: Try and use these furniture arrangements in your room.. But firstly please take down all the items from the walls & keep em away in a boxes so that ypu get a blank palette. That will help you better imagine these arrangements in your room..

1) you can buy a new three-four piece of outdoor furniture from a sale etc.. (see joss&main, there is sale at overstock & hoemdecorators or bed&bath i think, i may be wrong) Delaware Avenue Residence Sunroom 2

2) Use pallets to make seatings under windows which are right across the living room door. place cushions/bolstered seats on them... and keep your table lying in the room in front of it using it as dining table.. Joni Spear Interior Design
June 6, 2013 at 10:28PM   
aimran
recommendation for COLOUR PALETTE/COMBOS: i-e neutral solids as well as geometrics.. & coloured patterns... Camilla Molders Design
OTHER colour combos for you: San Clemente Remodel Classic Hyannisport Residence Sun Room
June 6, 2013 at 10:33PM   
Lisa Cadorette Kendrick
Also.. Let me just say we have 3 active kids and a dog. This back porch leads to the backyard and the kids play grounds. It's high traffic and that's another reason why I want to change this to more color, because the white room is taking a beating.
June 7, 2013 at 3:47AM   
daveyola
Reverse dark trim would make it look stunning and BIG. For example, I just did a small room in all bm battenburg with perfect greige on all trim and it pops nicely
June 7, 2013 at 4:28AM   
jolieblue
Lisa, then you've got half the battle won already--you know what direction you want to go in. If you paint the walls a soft a soft creamy yellow, a dreamy aqua-gray, or a fresh pear green, then you're free to indulge in your favorite colors for all the accents in this lovely room. Browse the catalogues that are available at this time of year to see all the wonderful summery bright colors that are so popular. Close your eyes and envision your very favorite colors and pick 2-3, then start pulling things together in those colors. Decide whether you prefer a vibrant mix of multi colors or a monochromatic blend of similar ones. An additional color mix that I didn't mention above would be a nautical type mix of navy and royal blues and reds with a muted light warm blue-gray on the walls.

Get a quart of paint once you settle on a wall color, paint a poster board, then have fun arranging small colorful things on the board until you get a combination you're delighted with. If you use worn type distressed finishes on your hard surfaces, it will welcome any damage your kids and dogs can do. And for goodness sake, dont paint your floor white OR very dark. Dark Floors show every particle of dust that hits them. Varigated mixed tones will be your friend on the floor, whether you keep it as-is or use tile. Don't even think about carpet....

There's only one rule when you start buying, if you don't LOVE IT, don't buy it! Keep us updated on what you decide, I can't wait to see what you do in your beautiful room.
June 7, 2013 at 7:14AM     
June 7, 2013 at 7:47AM     
didi45
How about painting the floor in a large diamond pattern or another pattern you like. Use 2 colors that are pretty close to each other so there's not a lot of contrast. Paint the wood trim white. Either frame the windows w drapes or put woven wood blinds w top down bottom up feature. When you get your furniture place the sofa horizontally to break up the length.
June 7, 2013 at 7:59AM     
Lisa Cadorette Kendrick
So this is the furniture. Painting will begin soon.
June 11, 2013 at 12:23PM     
anne dee
That looks very nice. good luck with the painting!
June 11, 2013 at 12:34PM     
bubblyjock
I bet you're going to spend all day every day in there now, Lisa!

Farrow & Ball have some great pale blues - Borrowed Light, Skylight, etc.

How about painting the trim around the windows something blue-ish grey-ish such as, again F&B, Pavilion Gray.

Someone suggested you search Pinterest for recommended colours - I find you can do a good search right here on Houzz for colours, and more often than not the colours will be in spaces similar to the one you're seeking assistance with.

Such as, searching +Farrow +Ball +Borrowed +Light kicks out at least 19 images:
http://www.houzz.com/%2Bfarrow-%2Bball-%2Bborrowed-%2Blight
June 11, 2013 at 12:35PM   
jolieblue
Your furniture is great! The seating pieces look so inviting and cozy and I love the bold red (orange?) and beachy theme. I can't wait to see what colors you choose for paint. Having now seen your furniture choice, I'm wondering if you are open to a deeper wall color? I think a medium royal or nautical blue (SW Rainstorm) would be gorgeous against your neutral furniture and with your pillows. You could then put a very pale blue such as the SW Sea Salt (with a name like that it cant be wrong) on the ceiling. Your room has plenty enough natural light to support this deeper blue, and white trim around all those windows would be spectacular against the blue! Then you could bring in more accents in the red and even a little vivid yellow. If you do a search on Pinterest, you can see examples of the Sea Salt and Rainstorm paints used in rooms.
June 11, 2013 at 6:39PM     
anne dee
Don't forget to post pics after painting!
June 11, 2013 at 7:09PM     
aimran
it's already set! and looks great. can't wait for pics either. You don;t need window treatments at all unless fabric bleaching is an issue..
June 11, 2013 at 9:32PM   
Need help choosing a wall color in a bedroom
My 15 year old daughter is moving to a new bedroom...
ok where does evryone keep their vacuum cleaner?
I am looking at house plans and the laundry...
Best Light Gray Trim for Exterior
Any ideas on a light gray trim color for a Spanish...
Fireplace Help
As shown in the photos I have this beautiful large...
Nothing awful, nothing great Master bedroom
This is it... Nothing awful, nothing great or inviting....