English Tudor Lighting: Enlighten me please!
kleagsand
I'm renovating the first floor of my fraternity house, it's English Tudor style but right now the interior needs quite a bit of work. I've done a little research on my own but I'd like to hear outside opinions of what hanging light fixtures would look well in this two rooms. Please note that the flooring is going to be a dark wood, similar to the ceiling beams and that the wood paneling is no longer on the walls. Paint for the walls will be a light blue-gray, furniture will be variants of charcoal. The fireplace is also going to have a modular, ashland limestone facade. Any feedback or particularly good places to look for appropriate style lighting is much appreciated!!
Great project! What about something like this?

4 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:28AM
kleagsand
Hi thanks a bunch for the suggestion! Is this a similar kind of style as well?
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 8:21AM
Genevieve
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 8:36AM
What about microfibre to imitate velvet and some large old tall chairs. Also you need something heavy like a felt or a heavy cotton for the curtains. Some lovely rugs would work and the cushions would need some fun embellishments such as the stars or swords on the cushions. I would avoid using too much of the the blue on the crest (but certainly go for indigo) and go for yellows and golds but give them a good background base such as a limewash
2 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 8:41AM
kleagsand
Hi everybody, thanks a bunch for all your help, the suggestions are much appreciated!

Genevieve- to answer your question, we have a budget of $50,000.00 and have so far spent ~9,000 on this flooring (it's a bit darker in real life) http://www.southshoreflooring.com/vinyl-flooring/engage/metroflor-engage-luxury-vinyl-plank-5129-canyon-city-walnut.html. We're also spending somewhere between 10,000-15,000 on a new stone fireplace and and another 10,000 on furniture.

ASVInteriors- I like the old tall chairs idea, I think those would look great near the bay window!

I was also wondering, what kind of fabric would look good for the window treatments? The walls will be either a light blue or a light beige
0 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 6:16AM
Genevieve
This sounds great :) for the widows I was thinking of a striped fabric it will not only give the windows hight but formality as well ,if you could post a photo of the window/s I could get a better idea of what to look for ,for now here is one idea

1 Like   June 14, 2013 at 6:37AM
Design Mode
Fabrics for your windows should be something rich looking, dark colours, and small geometric picture. It would be great if you could find swords or stars as a border, and a tapestry for a wall hanging. Leather, or fuzzy sheepskin would also be appropriate for pillows on your new sofas. If you are doing a large rug - order nylon sisal look carpeting (like 15x12) and have it bound it in the same colour.
Your mantle could be stained darker too. And you could find some pewter-looking platters, big drinking goblets, and a stag-head in pewter for the mantle. Or, for an inexpensive idea, find over-sized chess pieces.
Since the tv is part of your life, can you frame the walls behind in inexpensive tudor trim, and paint the wall a dark colour?
2 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 7:04AM
mefor
Velvet drapes, doesn't have to be too dark, could find a blue grey too work with walls, you don't want to make it too dark in room. You need something to let all the other stuff stand out. Think more updated Tudor, not a total replica. Sounds like a really cool project, enjoy!! :)
1 Like   June 14, 2013 at 7:11AM
mefor
Perhaps you could do pull down blinds with your crest printed on them, to pull down for room darkening for tv watching
2 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 7:13AM
mefor
Love the idea of paneling or faux paneling the wall behind tv, the whole wall, would be great with the paint color on all the other walls
1 Like   June 14, 2013 at 7:14AM
If you're going for some authenticity, here are some lights for the TV room. Think about putting a window seat in the bay with a couple of chess tables for those who like to play offline. You could hang one of the smaller lights above over each of the chess tables.
Antique Tudor Lighting 1
Antique Tudor Lighting 2
Tudor Revival
South Charlotte House Family Room
2 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 7:45AM
Genevieve
I was thinking of stained glass

3 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 8:04AM
Whispar Design
This sounds like a fun project!!
The Cambridge Series might be an option to consider for lighting. They have discreet halogen bulbs to provide functional down-lighting over the tables.
2 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 8:31AM
mefor
Great idea, I'm sure when you fraternity brothers want to "tidy up" you'd like a little more light. Lol
But, seriously, a great idea, you don't always want a moody, medieval look in the room, a little more light at times is very helpful. :)
2 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 8:35AM
Barnhart Gallery
Fraternity parties was one of my majors in sKoOL, so if I can assist, I think I must. I'm very impressed with your resourcefulness and honestly how tidy it is.

A pair of swords securely fastened over the fire: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=pair+swords&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Topped by three architectural stars: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pair+swords&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=architectural+star&_sacat=0

And a genie lamp: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=architectural+star&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0&_nkw=genie+lamp&_sacat=0

would reference your crest. And as an update to heavy tudor lighting, I'd add cans inset into the ceiling if at all possible, wherever possible -- on a dimmer of course, plus this slick, clean-lined chandelier, a modern version of the tudor candelabra: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/et2-circolo-31-inch-wide-12-light-chrome-pendant-light__v1488.html
3 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 9:40AM
mefor
Nicely done, Barnhart Gallery
1 Like   June 14, 2013 at 9:47AM
Barnhart Gallery
And if you're updating the very short tab top curtains, these are on sale -- buy them long and hang them high so that they just skim the floor: http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/winter-blue-textured-silk-curtains---drapes.html

(Can't believe I'm recommending silk to a frat house! But I'm so impressed with the care you're all taking with your space, I think you can handle it.) And I also really liked mforr's idea of blinds with your logo.

What are you studying -- architecture/design, we hope?
1 Like   June 14, 2013 at 10:22PM
kleagsand
Hi everybody! First off thanks for all of your suggestions, I've got a lot of great ideas to work with! I will say the only bummer about going with curtains and rugs is that we can't do longer curtains because under the majority of our windows we still have radiators (those are going next summer hopefully) and as fraternity gentlemen, we are a prone to liquid accidents :P so I think we were going along more of the idea that we'd do upholstered box treatments above all the windows and then do white wood-composite blinds. Any suggestions on the fabric material are more than welcome and I wanna say you guys have already gone above and beyond with suggestions.

A couple updates, we have our quotes in for flooring and fireplace, flooring is now ~8,500.00, lights are ~4,100.00, and fireplace ~6,000.00, We were really stoked to be saving A TON on the fireplace and with a lot more leftover, we're looking into maybe having a banister redone.

Attached is a fireplace concept, we're looking to keep the weird sculpture head as it holds meaning to us. We're looking to update the fireplace, make it look like it's original to the house but at the same time preserve and possibly incorporate the plaster face.

Design Mode- I like the trim idea, that'd definitely look pretty cool, we also have cable boxes above the TV that are mounted on the white particle board shelves. What would be a good way to hide these?

mforr- blue gray would definitely look nice, one of the big things we want to do is make these room appear that they are separate from the rest of the house. Should we do something with the arches?

decoenthusiaste- The use of the bay window is definitely a sweet idea!

Barnhart Gallery- That's tight!! I like that the crest would be a physical manifestation. We were thinking about having it professionally repainted on canvas and then hung above the fireplace but this absolutely kills it. Something I'm definitely looking forward to bringing up. Also I appreciate the "tidy" comment, I took the pictures on a wednesday, farthest day sequentially away from Thursday, Friday, and Saturday :P and to answer your question I'm studying Biochemistry, I just like to get away from the lab every once in awhile
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:37AM
mefor
If you could possibly paint a faux moulding around and inside the arch, it would really make a feature of the pair of them. I wouldn't suggest any fabric hangings, even though that would look really good, same reason as above with liquids ;). Don't paint only inside the arch though, it would look very spindly and insubstantial. Still want to push for roller blinds (not cheap, crappy ones) under the valance or cornices, with the crest screen printed or embroidered on them.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:46AM
mefor
Which school, if its not too intrusive?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:47AM
mefor
If there's enough money for it, they do kits for arches in wood. Might be an option, if not something faux painted in color to match other trim in room looking like any of these
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 7:52AM
Barnhart Gallery
I did not notice the very cool dude face in the FP -- yes, he must be preserved! I also like your sketch for how he'll fit in. D'ya call him Kappy?

Now would be the time to consider the options of encasing him in a glass shadowbox incorporated into the stone, and possibly wiring it so that he'll glow with LED strip lighting that could go from white to your PKP blue. Kappy rocks.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:45AM
kleagsand
mforr- really digging those wood kits, I think that'd be sweet. Where do you find those? And you're not being intrusive, I go to Purdue

Barnhart- Haha his name's Brother Eustis, he used to have a beard too! I didn't think about encasing him, that might be way easier than taking him off and putting him back on

Thanks for the help!!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 9:29AM
Design Mode
Something I learned from Star Trek was that a solution often lies in turning a disadvantage into an advantage. You have a limited budget, and a modern box near a tv that needs to look Tudor. Scrounge around for salvaged corbels to use as brackets for a cable box shelf. Or there may be plaster imitations you can stain to match your panelled wall, and the shelf can be the width of the tv.
Your rads could be enclosed too. A place to rest your meade & other liquid beverages!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 9:31AM
Barnhart Gallery
LOL Brother Eustis -- he eusta have a beard, and I thought I was the only one home brewing meade -- or spelling it with an "e" on the end.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:01AM
mefor
Kleagsand, not American are you? See your posts elsewhere today, no mums here :) . How do you like Purdue?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:11AM
mefor
Here's a couple sites, the second one, elegant, is sold through Lowes also. Just google "arched moulding kits" there's a bunch! Good luck
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:15AM
mefor
Sites
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:16AM
kleagsand
Haha no I am, I'm from southern Indiana, just one of those things I picked up awhile ago. I love Purdue and I'm super bummed out this is gonna be my last year here. Did you go anywhere?

Also thanks for the sites, I'm definitely going to give these a look see!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:27AM
What can I do to the back of my house?
We bought the place for a awesome price. Corner lot,...
chiseled granite kitchen countertops
Should the chiseled portion only be on the sides or...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Windows for Midwest Mid-Century Modern House
I have a mid-century modern house in the mid-west where...
Tiny formal dining room
Hello Houzzers, This is my dining room with my table...