Help with plain fireplace wall in living room!
jpmelan1
Hey everyone. Buying a house and need to change paint colors along with some other things. I have a wall with a fireplace centered and the cable and outlet wired to be mounted above the fireplace. I want to do something really cool with this wall. I was thinking about putting tile from the floor all the way to the crown about 5 ft wide (width of fireplace) and ripping out the crummy mantle. Other thoughts were to cover the entire wall making recessed paneling. Another was to find a cool acrylic tile or something light weight and cover the entire wall, or installing staggered wide plank wood strips across the entire wall. The wall is 15 ft. long and the fireplace is perfectly centered. What would have the largest impact for the money spent? Please post pictures if you have some! Thanks in advance for the help
Mark
A tiled fireplace to the ceiling would look awesome, but I would keep the wall color the same as the tile for a sleek and seamless look.
June 6, 2013 at 12:53pm     
Mark
Don't do small tiles though use large tile similar to that in the picture above.
June 6, 2013 at 12:54pm   
Mark
The fireplace in the picture is cast concrete tile.
June 6, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Jon Iberti
What about an over mantel? You could still clad the wall, but this would add a dimensional element to break that long plane.
June 6, 2013 at 1:09pm   
jpmelan1
I don't think the over mantle would work, as I am putting "the big screen" above the fireplace. Thank you Mark and Jon for the suggestions.
June 6, 2013 at 4:46pm     
Lila Hayes
I think white bookshelves on each side would look great. And they don't have to be really expensive ones either. Even Ikea shelves would look great and would still leave room for the TV above.
June 6, 2013 at 4:49pm   
Lila Hayes
Or, maybe since the fireplace doesn't stick out as much from the wall you could do a large rectangular frame on each side of the fireplace with molding and paint the inside a different color. I see electrical outlets on each side so if you moved the outlets higher you could even put sconces in the middle of the frame. Just make sure to get the scale of the frame and the sconces right.
June 6, 2013 at 4:53pm   
Lila Hayes
...or even some sort of cool wall covering inside the frame!
June 6, 2013 at 4:54pm   
Cancork Floor Inc.
Cork tiles = amazing product; light weight, easy to work with, come in +15 colours.
June 6, 2013 at 5:04pm   
hsharrington
Hi jpmelan 1! One of the biggest problems with tv's over fireplaces, other than sore necks from the height, is that it becomes one large black space stacked over another black space. Take a look at these photos that show the tv nicely integrated with the fireplace and surrounding walls. The style of this type of solution can be anything from super modern to traditional.
June 6, 2013 at 6:02pm     
rui234
You could do a Venetian plaster finish .
You could get a few different colours.Hope it helps
June 6, 2013 at 7:17pm   
Help for my Living Room!/Keeping room. too plain!
My living room/keeping room just off the kitchen has...
Help! Plain and awkward living room!
I bought a condo that I'm very excited about, BUT it...
Need advice on plain wall in living room...
Need to decide on what to do with the blank wall of...
Help with living room fireplace wall
Hello everyone. I need some help with our living room....
Support for overhang?
Our new kitchen island will be 72" long and have a...
Squeaky floor fixes?
Do you have any squeaky boards in your floor? Have...
Help with picking vanity when room is full of pine trim
What type of vanity would go with this wood in a powder...
Which Master Bedroom layout would you prefer?
Which layout of the master bedroom would you prefer?...
Need Help Landscaping Brick Ranch
We cannot stand the front landscaping - rocks/pebbles...