LED cans vs Halogen cans, need to decide today!!
gusaroo
Our kitchen remodel has begun and we need to make a final decision about the ceiling cans...4" with dimmers)

LEDs ($200 each) are available in warm white now, and have obvious advantages in terms of replacing bulbs and energy use.
BUT, the halogens are $50 each. Their only virtue as far as I know. A friend has halogens that burn out really fast, so their spending a lot on bulbs.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Design Collaborative
Well i think you understand the crux of the issue. Energy savings and bulb costs. The future is LED, but there are a lot of changes happening everyday because it's new technology. If you go LED, which i would if it were my house, use a stable company like Cooper/Halo. Here is a model number on one of their products that might be appropriate. Remember you still need the light engine and trim. I see costs at $170 for the full package or so. Also be sure to check the dimmer against approved manufacturers with the LED company. Good luck. Halo H455RICAT120D.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 11:41AM
gusaroo
Thank you! That's very helpful.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 11:45AM
gusaroo
Actually, one dumb question. We are replacing all the lighting so the entire ceiling is open right now...don't need remodel housing then right?
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 11:50AM
Design Collaborative
That's correct, but venting the fixture is real important. The regular housing may not be IC rated (Insulation contact). If there's not insulation then you're fine. I was being safe.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 11:57AM
gusaroo
No insulation...there's a floor above. So would it be H455TUNVD010?
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:07PM
Design Collaborative
That looks like a good choice, be sure to check your dimmer controls...
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:15PM
gusaroo
Will do. Thanks for your input! Lee
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:28PM
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
You might want to check about some rebates if you go with LED. The ROI on LED is still pretty vague. Depending on where you are located, you can sometimes find some great rebates from the government or energy companies. I've heard that some fixtures, after rebate are almost free. The actual bulbs are the real killer. They are expensive.

My guess is in 3-5 years, LED will be more affordable and the standard. Right now, without a rebate, you will be paying a lot for the technology. 1 to 3 years is considered a good ROI to shoot for.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:34PM
gusaroo
Just got a local quote for $175 and the same supplier quoted $100 halogen cans. Does that sound right? At that price differential, LEDs are looking better! And thank you for the tip about rebates Chism Bros. I think our utility, PG&E, may have something available
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:47PM
Design Collaborative
Chrism Bros, makes a good point, but it's like computer's or phones, there's always a better, cheaper, faster model next year. $100 for a can must be a high quality version. You get what you pay for there. The $35 can is junk.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:01PM
Fred S
It is not like you have to make one decision and stick to it for the rest of your life. If your friend's halogens are burning out too quickly, the bulbs are probably too many watts for the fixture. You can retrofit a standard can for LED, or buy all-in-one LED bulbs later. My preference is to put in plenty of cans now. Every 24" for that size can. Use more switches so they don't have to be all on, dimmer, and lower wattage halogen. You can always change later without ripping into sheetrock.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:14PM
gusaroo
So we found 5 LED cans in stock for $140 each (We would have done halogen if we hadn't found them in stock.) They're 5", which is fine. Very happy that we got them!!

RE: my friend's halogens, she checked the wattage and made sure she was putting in the right bulbs. She also tried different brands of bulbs, but they still delaminate quite often. She used the same contractor and he's not sure why they're having the problem.

Thanks everyone! Ill post pictures at some point.
Lee
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:01PM
Fred S
Oh, you are talking about low voltage halogen. I would never use those. A PAR halogen in a standard can with the right trim is the only good way.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:12PM
gusaroo
I'll forward that on to my friend...she really hates those lights. And I just got off the phone with our utility and they'll rebate $25 per can. So that means they're $15 over the halogens. Mighty fine.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:27PM
Design Collaborative
Great job...
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:33PM
gusaroo
Here's what we got: http://www.junolightinggroup.com/product_detail.asp?ino=12220&Sel_Id=27016&brand=1
$140 less $25 utility rebate = $115.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:16PM
Fred S
Personally, I prefer around 4000K or whatever a halogen is because when you dim them they go down to normal bulb Kelvin. At least in appearance.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:38PM
gusaroo
Yeah, that makes sense. We do have three pendants over an island, plus 7 LEDs (2 over the sink will be added as remodel cans). Don't know if you can read this layout, but I think it'll be plenty of light?
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:48PM
Fred S
Can't see too much on this 3" screen, but buy eye instead of measurements, it looks like enough general light. There will be some dim spots in the room, but not where you are working. Would suggest some secondary lighting. You will have shadows on the counter especially when YOU are blocking the light. Cheap undercabinet rope light does wonders and looks cool. Can't read what everything is, but I would put a light in any pantry cabinet with a door switch if a light won't be directly in front.
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 5:06PM
gusaroo
Forgot to mention LED under-cabinet lights already in the plan! And a motion-sensor light in the walk-in pantry. Thanks for the feedback!
    Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 5:20PM
Need help with recessed lighting advice
Hi, we are currently doing a major remodel and we are...
lkb519
Warm LEDS vs. Cool LEDS
We have gutted our kitchen and installing new cabinets,...
lirpadl
Blinds vs curtain vs both?
Hi! I was hoping you guys could help me out on designing...
mica garci
Need to decide on a floor.
Please help. Stained concrete is my decision at the...
designideas4me
Kitchen Undercounter LED Strips Advice Needed
I have a series of old 2' fluorescent fixtures in my...
Rob O'Daniel
Need help with fireplace placement in living room
Hi There, We are building our new home and need...
parul_apan
craft room
like closed in storage have lots of stuff
barbara14352
need help with downstairs room with no windows
looking for ideas on what to use a room with no windows...
danandjulie
Help choosing a rug, lamps and coffee table, please
Howdy all. This is my current living room, pictured...
pennywurst
Need help with living room
Hello, I need some help with set up of living room....
lindangu1020