New home needs curb appeal PLEASE HELP!!!
steve
June 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
just a new home its a ranch style with no curb appeal whatsoever. I was thinking about adding a front porch w stone and nice flower beds surrounding but not sure how pricey that would be?? will take any and all ideas into consideration thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sandra Norton
I would replace some of the evergreens with colorful plants. Don't know what zone you live in, but would consider some tree's such as the coral bark that give's beautiful coloring even in winter. The bark turns Red.It would be nice to have one on the outside of the garage to the left, and then one to the right side of the house. You could use the area between the drives for a flowerbed area with a small Japanese maple that stays small but adds lost of red color. I like your front porch idea. I think it would help to give the door some color and not match the shutter color. Break up the coloring. Just ideas???
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 6:24PM
mamavan
I don't know what your street is like but you could add the porch and also put some planters filled with small cedars or a wrought iron fence with planters that allow climbing vines, on the driveway to create a patio-like sitting area.cute house!
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 6:26PM
Sandra Norton
Coral Bark Tree (year around color) Small Saybrook Junipers.
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 6:44PM
steve
wow I like those trees a lot!! and in the photo the home currently looks like the first photo with out the slit driveway and bug evergreens. it was the only other pic I had with the garage included. I would like to do something with a porch maybe a lil a frame that will make the house look a lil bigger. Its located on a nice quite culdesac
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 6:50PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Certainly a roof over your front entry would be a plus. In fact, it's hard to tell where the front entry is since there are two of them at the front of the house. You would do well to point out the real front entry with big pots of flowering plants flanking the stairs to the door where you want people to enter.

It would be nice to tear out that little sidewalk that leads to the right hand front door, and to create a curving pathway from the driveway to that front door. Between the curve and the house you could plant a bed of shrubs and flowering plants. I think you could also go ahead and plant a tree in the front yard. The sooner you plant a tree or two or three, the sooner they'll start growing.

Eventually, you could add a more definitive front entrance such as you see below.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID

2 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 6:56PM
jds3
Carolyn...I want that house...beautiful
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 7:27PM