Need help fast!!

Sandra NortonJune 8, 2013
Going to put on a roof, can not decide Metal or 3 dem. shingle. What color. Then a paint colors that would look good. Any idea's anyone?
HERE Design and Architecture
Standing seam is more durable if you can afford it. The front of this house is a little hard- looking. I might consider installing a couple of decorative trusses under that roof to soften things up a little.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 8, 2013 at 8:05AM
msmliss
Can you afford to remodel the roof and front gable? I agree with adding trusses; in fact, I's do it in a craftsman style, with classic pillars and a banister-railed front porch, with a gorgeous hanging lantern. I realize your home is all brick, but it doesn't really have a distinctive architectural style; why not make one!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 8, 2013 at 9:09AM
llhillpharmd
Although more durable, standing seam doesn't really fit w style of house. I would go w good quality 3 dim shingles in cedar tones to mimic look of wood shingles. Like idea of msmiss to add some additional porch details
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 8, 2013 at 9:25AM
Dar Eckert
Yes, if you can remodel the portico go for it. If not, paint the ceiling a lighter color and a light color front door. Light color railing around and down steps.Maybe something more like this.
Ditch the shutters.
Fairway porch · More Info
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 8, 2013 at 9:39AM
msmliss
LOVE your example, Dar Eckert! Love the craftsman door too!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 9:58AM
Dar Eckert
Thanks. You made my day!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 9, 2013 at 7:17AM
Sandra Norton
I like that photo Dar very much!!
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:01AM
Sandra Norton
Another question, which homes sell better. Shingle or Metal roof?
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 2:04PM
bonnielynn75
I would say Burgundy is not the colour you want for the roof... too much colour!!. look for something lighter/more neutral in colour. ..Dark colours attract the heat in the summer...
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 2:47PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Re: which sells better - check with the National Association of Realtors.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 9, 2013 at 3:22PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Re: color - try using your rendering program to incorporate earthier colors - grey/brown/green - in the woodwork, shingles and roofing. I would personally also integrate the porch and stair railings with the posts.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 9, 2013 at 3:25PM
HERE Design and Architecture
I am pretty sure that standing seam will be much more durable. Not at all sure that the color you are talking about will look good with the brick, though.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 8:16PM
Sandra Norton
The color chart is above. If I must go metal due to the winds ect....What color do you suggest from that chart?. The contractor will be here tomorrow to talk with us. I would just like to have a mind made up of color for Metal, and a Color made of 3 dem. Shingles made up lol. I am horrible at this type of stuff.
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 8:50PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Sorry - I don't see any color chart?
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:00PM
Sandra Norton
I will post it again...........Here.
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:20PM
HERE Design and Architecture
I think I might try Taupe, Grey, Charcoal or Burnished Slate.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 9, 2013 at 9:37PM
Sandra Norton
Brick Color
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:59PM
Sandra Norton
Cedar Color
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:06PM
HERE Design and Architecture
The cedar looks nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:13PM
Sandra Norton
Dar Eckert, I will be asking the contractor tomorrow for a estimate to include updating the portico. I simply love that idea thank you!! I think it is exactly what the front needs. It is just too boring. Thanks for you help everyone!
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 11:10PM
Dar Eckert
I like the burnished slate or charcoal color for the roof. Be sure to post the final product.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    June 10, 2013 at 6:56AM
Sandra Norton
We finalized the contract this evening. We went with Burnished Slate. All 3 contractors agreed with the problem of winds in this area, and it's out in the country sitting that metal would be the best. The roof should be installed next week. Now we are trying to find someone for the portico. Then siding for the sides, back of the house and over hangs. Then we will do the window's if our budget allow's this fall. I will post photos as we do it. Thank you all for your help, absolutely love the Portico idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:50PM
Sandra Norton
We put on the roof. We went with Burnished Slate. I am having a problem finding anyone local that can help me with the Portico. I wanted to get your opinion on the colors that I have chosen for the rest of the house. I will post them shortly.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:30PM
Sandra Norton
This is the color's I am trying to decide on. This is the photo I found. I can not decide on the accent color of "City Arboretum" green, or the "Spanish Tile" red. The Portico columns I have decided to make the bottom stone just like in this photo, for not visible in this photo is a driveway with a basement entry that I will have stoned as well. The style of the Portico entry I will also include similar design for the door entry downstairs. I have not decided on what color of window's. I am thinking the burnished slate color as well?? I do not like the style of shutters on this house, thinking of either totally taking them off, or making those exactly that are in the photo on that house. What do you think? :)
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:56PM
decofriend
Where do you plan to use the red or green accents? Did I miss something?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 7:23PM
Sandra Norton
The Chef White color is the color of the shutters on this house, and the front columns. It was suggested to take that color under neath the porch and soffit. I like that idea. so I am going to go with that for sure. I just don't know if then I need to change the color of the door perhaps? or leave the shutter's with some color. Or just take the Soffit and Portico the same color removing the shutters. (leaning toward Barnished slate windows). I hope that explains myself better.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:19PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think the stone you picked will be very busy with the brick. If you want to go with a stone veneer, a limestone or ledger type to contrast with the brick would be better. Or go with the porch design suggested by Dar--likely would be cheaper too. Whatever you do, please add a beam above the posts--the span is too wide to look supported without it.

With the dark roof and dark brick, I would go with a lighter trim. Pure white may be a little too harsh--maybe an slight antique or oyster type white would work, or perhaps a light taupe. Overtones of olive green might be nice, and the porch could differ from the fascia and windows, perhaps repeated on the garage doors. It depends on the style and detailing you pick.

A clearer picture(s) of the whole house that isn't backlight (try a different time of day or an overcast day) would help. Then you could put it in an online viewer and experiment with paint colors (takes some patience though). Another option since the area is limited is to cut out the fascia (roof trim), door and the proposed porch (what about railings?) and put large paint chips behind to try out different colors. Use a sharp utility or Xacto knife--if you can spray glue it on a piece of cardstock or a file folder, that might make it easier to handle (but harder to cut.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    July 12, 2013 at 9:58PM
Dar Eckert
I think the green color would look great with your dark gray roof. I agree with Victorian bungalow that a cream trim would look better than white. I would also suggest a railing and new steps. Make the steps wider if you can. for the shutters I would replace them with wider trim.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    July 13, 2013 at 7:54AM
Sandra Norton
Ok, the steps are solid concrete. I would love to have them wider but for now not in the budget. As for the color Chef White is a creamy white (has a clay tone) (It is the color of the shutters on the house and the door to the current house) Thanks I will post more photos as we get it done.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 5:03PM
victorianbungalowranch
Wider wider trim isn't really an option with brick veneer. Not worth the hassle. Wider fascia and/or at least the barge board (trim on the pediment) would be worth it, along with the beam I suggested and perhaps some type of fill--open or closed-- The steps look like concrete, so that may be a bit expensive right now to replace, although I agree, wider steps would be nice.

Now that I can see the entrance clearly, the pillars aren't too bad--just not visually substantial enough for the width of the porch, and without base and capital blocks. Looks like they are a bit canted, esp. on the right, which indicates that they might not be sufficient to carry the load. Could be the camera angle.

I think you need a bit more roof overhang on the front of the porch to make it look right--ask the roofers if there is an easy way to do that. Just 4-6" would help. Not how Dar's pic the roof extends about a foot or so. I don't know--perhaps the sheathing could be cantilevered a bit with a 2x4 underneath to support it and a larger barge board.

Then undercut the stub beams over the pillars and add a beam all the way across and either add more pillars or replace with more substantial ones, or extend outward as pictured above by Dar. Personally, I would save the $$ from a stone veneer and keep the brick, with looks pretty nice, and invest the savings with quality materials and workmanship, and beefed up foundation and curb landscaping.

Eventually adding some sturdy ground cover, boulders or small retaining walls and something easy, like shubbery that doesn't need pruning, black-eye susan, daylilies and iris and sedum, would do a lot to dress up the slope, and save you the bother and difficulty of mowing it. Would also add some much needed color and texture with some planning.

I think you could go a variety of ways with this--traditional, craftsman or mid-century modern. You have to have railings and a better handrail for the steps to meet code and to make it look right. Adding a raised bed at the base could help, but be sure to make sure the pointing of the brick is good so moisture doesn't seep or wick in. Might be good to add a moisture barrier or air separation and splash bock first.

A new door and changing the light fixture (perhaps a ceiling fan and one to the right of the door) and some new address numbers would complement what you choose. If you do go more midcentury modern, I recommend Crestview doors. A simple Craftsman door could go with the more Craftsman options. Just paint would do a lot though, and the fancier you get, the more it needs to be measured and drawn out to scale. These renderings use your existing steps, but new ones could be better. Without measurements, it is hard to tell, but it looks to me that the left edge of the door is slightly off of center of the porch, but the steps extend beyond the center point, which could look a bit awkward with a center post.

Here are some renderings. I resized them, so you should be able to enlarge them.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    July 13, 2013 at 5:32PM
victorianbungalowranch
Here are some more radical versions--sort of mid-century and with cable railings.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 5:34PM
victorianbungalowranch
And finally something sort of Craftsman, with pedestals, possibly with slightly tapered square pillars, shallow brackets, simulated mortise and tendon joints, perhaps a bit more roof overhang and rafter tails. It has a bit of Japanese influence. This would be the most expensive I think, and probably the hardest to get the details right.. Widening the steps would help, along with possibly adding battered (tapered) piers with stone veneer, and a new Japanese maple or plum tree to rhe right.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sandra Norton    July 13, 2013 at 5:38PM
Sandra Norton
Wow such great ideas! Thank you the demonstrative photo's helps me so much to understand what you are telling me. I seen 2 here that I liked. Photo 4 of the first set, and then the last photo here.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 6:10PM
victorianbungalowranch
You pretty much have a blank slate, so there are lots of possibilities. I figured the middle ones were a little out there for you, but a similar idea could work with a more regular lattice arrangement, and/or softened with some vines trained on it. I do like the chartreuse door color though.

I kind of like photo 4 too and it avoids the possible awkwardness of a center post. I personally think going with a simple option like that is more workable with a limited budget--the Craftsman is going to take more measuring and refinement and perhaps 50-100% more budget to get right. Note the columns in the rear too for both plans--embedded columns would be the most proper probably, but separate ones set a little ways from the wall could be OK and would be cheaper and less likely to decay.

It is hard to see, but I also lightened the ceiling in the Craftsman pic, and doing so could do a lot to brighten the porch. I did it in dusty blue--maybe a few shades lighter than the door--although off white to gray could be nice, even a sort of carmel or tan to tie in with the lighter tones of the brick. It is in shadow, so it won't be as bright as you think to look at it from the street and could be a nice little touch. The right color could add a bit of spark.

Depending on the depth of the porch, you probably should put an additional post on the side by the front column or new post, especially if you keep the round column. You could also build a pedestal and put cluster columns on top, which is a Craftsman like detail--best if done with a recessed panel design and a sloped cap. The little square in the middle is a painted plate to secure the beams in the pediment. The color is repeated in the stub bracket for the roof or for a new cap for the column and in the railings. A new base would be nice too, and you could possibly cut down the existing column to do so, or just use a new square corner post.

BTW, I didn't put the bottom rails in for the railings to save time. They would actually be raised about 4 inches from the slab. If you are planning on using deck type railing, try turning it around so it looks more like a traditional railing, and use a proper handrail-type top. A flat 2x4, as with the front steps, will rot in no time. Ideally, top and bottom rails both should be shaped to shed water, as is every exposed horizontal surface.

Check the mortar in the window sills too and repoint with mortar, not cement. Holmes on Homes recommends using silicone caulk for the top joints to help keep the water out, but it takes a steady hand to do that. I wasn't sure, so I used removable clear calk to tide mine over until I have time to repoint properly. Held up for a year so far. Repointing is tricky to do right and looks awful if done wrong.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:01AM
Need Help Fast about Preparing a Floor for Travertine Tiles
This isn't a design question, but it's a dilemma nonetheless....
temuskia
Need help with my Family/Living room sofa and decor
We have no seperate living room. One room !0x19 ft....
larkspurlane
Fireplace makeover - NEED MAJOR HELP - AND FAST!
We recently bought a home that had good bones but had...
ann_marie93
Help! Need to pick out barn color FAST!!
We recently re-sided our yellow house (with dark brown...
dkconnor
Bedroom or office?
I have a third bedroom I need help to decide which...
judykarwisch
Pics for below paint color post
Please help me choose paint color that will go with...
amydolbert
Cherry cabinets with dark stain
We are building a home and have always wanted stained...
smkrauss
Foyer entrance - need help!
Hello houzz experts, My husband and I have been struggling...
npatodia
need a pop of turquoise
I painted the back of bookshelf turquoise but I'm not...
yattayatta03
Main Living Room
Hello, All, I'm still tweaking this room. It's my main...
leestep