Fireplace Reno
marhop1
Our stucco fireplace is dated, to say the least. Other than the wall of windows it is the only wall in the open concept room. We are thinking of widening the fireplace to eliminate the side mantle, taking the hearth down to the floor, covering it with dry stack stone and hanging the TV above the fire box. Any suggestions for brand and color of stacked stone? Or, should we paint it out the same colour as the wall. Any and all suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
polkadot0405
As it is now, my attention is drawn towards the fireplace. Stones would be very nice and add a mantle if you want. If you need a temporary solution, I would paint it so that it blends in with your wall color, not necessarily the same color.
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 5:58AM
marhop1
Thank you. I hadn't thought of a blending colour!
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:08AM
leelee
Look up El Dorado stone. Very, very real looking with lots of different styles.
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 6:09AM
marhop1
Thank you leelee. Looking them up now.
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:22AM
leelee
Your home looks super but you could really change the feel with some paintings. Look on Esty.com. Here are some paintings I found there. Not saying these would all look right in your room but to give you an idea of the scope of what is offered.
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 6:23AM
leelee
another
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:43AM
leelee
one more
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:44AM
leelee
and finally
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:44AM
leelee
Also, recovering the two chairs would really update your room. Go with a pattern or a stripe. Now it's letting me add only one image at a time.
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:45AM
marhop1
I never thought about using Etsy. Thank you, leelee for the suggestion.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 2:44PM
Lkristine
I think getting rid of the side ledges would look wonderful. You could do stack stoned like you said, I think that would look really awesome. Or even just paint it. Either way, here is an image if you get rid of the side shelves and you could even add a mantel if you wanted also.
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 3:19PM
marhop1
Lkristine, thank you so much! The picture you made looks awesome. What a difference!! I love the new look, it brings the room into the 21st century! Thx !!!!
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 3:29PM
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
I don't think the white stucco is outdated. Before anyone starts completely re-doing a room & spending big money, I recommend they work with what they have first.

What isn't working is the art work on either side of fireplace and the bottles etc on either side of fireplace, as well as the artwork on the mantel. Remove all of that & take another look at it. When there is a fireplace in a room it is considered to be a focal point and this one is not being treated as such at the moment.

Strip away the wall art, the bottles & other decor & maybe you will see it in a new light?

The white is fresh looking & a rectangular piece of wall art incorporating some of the colour in the room would pull the look together.

Generally when there is a fireplace, we have some of the furniture facing the fireplace. Without seeing the full size & shape of this room, I can't see whether the sofa could be in another position?? Maybe away from the waIl, facing the fireplace or would like to see the chairs on right side of fireplace re-arranged so they don't look like they are crowding the fireplace.

A decorative firescreen would improve the look of F/P as well.
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 3:43PM
I'm in agreement with doing as in the photoshopped pic above and if you don't like it white, go a shade or two darker than your walls.
Agree the chairs need refreshing or replacing.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 4:26PM
Stone of any kind will make a beautiful statement in rm. stacked limestone, with some gray shading would work with walls.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 4:36PM
gogoellen
Wow! I love the chairs! I think the fabric is great on them!!!
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:57PM
marhop1
Sharon, thanks for your input. I am trying to load another pic which shows the layout! But my high speed in the country is LOW speed and is taking a long time. In the meantime the wall opposite the sofa is glass with a lake view. Behind the sofa is a half wall with stairs behind it, and opposite the fireplace is an entrance way into the room and another short half wall. It is a very awkward layout.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 6:06PM
marhop1
Thanks missdenny50. I liked the chair fabric too when I got them. They were for the cottage and I thought they looked "cottagey". Now we live at the cottage full time and maybe it's time for a change.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:10PM
marhop1
Here are two more pictures showing the room layout. Sharon I see what you mean about stripping back the items around and on the fireplace. These pics were taken when we first moved in and the fireplace was less cluttered then.....it looked better then than it does now.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 7:29PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
The fireplace is not the issue. Your paint job is. The ceiling because of its angle should be painted the same color as the walls or at least a mix to soften. If it were me, it would be all the same-a tinted white that makes the space open and airy and doesn't show that hard angles. The fireplace material can be changed. The Stucco can be sanded down to a smooth finish.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 7:33PM
marhop1
Thank you CMR. I had actually wondered about painting the ceiling the same color as the walls.....now I know. Thanks.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:02PM
janmckay
you had mentioned installing your TV above the firebox. . . It is more tiring to watch TV with an upward glance. Easier on the eye to look down. Been there, done that.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 8:07PM
marhop1
Yes, I may have to rethink the TV placement. Thanks Jan.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:17PM
Good additional pix. I leave paint colour comments to specialists in the area. I do see you have some opportunity to re-arrange the furniture which would open up the passage way to the staircase. Right now, the sofa is blocking passage & backed up against the wall. Would it fit on half wall between LR & DR & be facing fireplace & view? Place two print chairs on either side of French doors & place chair matching sofa beside fireplace? You were thinking about changing the fireplace....I am suggesting other changes which will freshen room up & create a different layout which I think will create more spacious & open looking room. The plaid cushions don't work too well on sofa, nor do they complement the print chairs. Cushions with some of the colours of sofa & chairs in print or plain colours may provide more of a statement?

I agree with jan re: placement of tv. I don't advise placing tv over fireplaces as they compete with one another - a fireplace is a source of ambiance & calm, whereas the TV..........if it can go elsewhere, that would be my recommendation.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 9:17PM
marhop1
Thanks Sharon. I really appreciate your comments. Seems the TV is the problem in furniture placement. At first I did in fact have the sofa on the half wall between the dining and living rooms, with the print chairs on the half wall where where the sofa currently sits, and the big chair/ottoman combo in the corner where the print chairs sit today. In my opinion it was much nicer and more open, but hubby wanted his comfy chair and ottoman to face the TV. And I couldn't think where else to put the TV except on the hearth. Not the best room design. Thanks so much for your help. I think I'll move the furniture to the positions you recommend and hubby will just have to settle on the sofa instead of his comfy chair and ottoman.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:03AM
Brown Bros. Masonry
Agree with LKristine earlier...shaping the fireplace even on both sides all the way to the top would dramatically change the room. Should you chose the stone route- contact a local stone supplier in your area for samples of both cultured and even natural stone available in your area. The color room you have is perfect, quite neutral to match with a lot of textures and tones.
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 8:25AM
marhop1
Thank you very much, Brown Bros. Appreciate your comments!!
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 8:55AM
North Star Stone
We offer a custom color selector where you can choose the layout, colors and design of the dry stack stone you want to use. It's nice because you can try out different color combos to see how they'll fit.
http://www.northstarstone.biz/stone-color-selector/

It's a great space and using a dry stack stone will help the fireplace pop and create a very nice focal point in the room. Will you be using a dry stack stone with mortar or without?
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 8:56AM
marhop1
P.S. and thanks too, for the pix!!q
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 8:56AM
marhop1
Thanks North Star Stone. We are exploring options now, but think we would prefer dry stack without mortar.
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 9:00AM
North Star Stone
That's a favorite of ours. You can see some of the other options here too if you want to explore a little more. We also ship stone and custom color stone, if you find one that you like. http://www.northstarstone.biz/stone-styles.htm Either way, we're excited to see the finished product!
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 9:02AM
COTTAGE RENO: What to do with this unfinished fireplace
Painting the room sea glass, need ideas on what to...
Fireplace reno...where should we put built ins?
Another question here....im not loving this oak. I...
Fireplace Reno
Found mold behind our fireplace. Had to tear the whole...
Need help with fireplace reno
The mantle is a dark brown wood. The insert stone will...
Need help with fireplace Reno
We are Replacing tile with stack stone. Question is...
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
Kitchen Backsplash - what color and material?
I'm almost finished with a total kitchen remodel and...
jetted tubs
wondering if anyone has any experience with SSWW tubs...
Help with garage/curb appeal
We have a 1955 ranch. We need help with the street-side...
I need help completing this space
I have begun to decorate my living room. The sofa...