Stumped for new window treatment in master bedroom
nicejuice
This window/door wall needs something I can open all the way for the view, close for privacy but leave the bottom middle open for ventilation. Right now the verticals do all but open for ventilation - they flap in the breeze and if I use the cord to contain them it looks dumb. NOTE: the door opens outward onto the deck.
Was thinking of shutters?
The entire area is 96 high by 104 wide. Each panel is 38 wide. The window is 31 high by 38 wide.

The townhouse is contemporary, my style is more transitional- any suggestions for us? Thanks Kathy
lewlew
Perhaps you could try roller shades for privacy. They come in different degrees of privacy. Some allow more sunlight through during the day or help to filter out as much sun as possible. Only draw back is at night when you have the lights on, people can see through, not clearly but depends if its application is for a bedroom or living room. Roller shades allow you to keep it up to whatever height you'd like to allow the breeze through your bottom window. If you add drapery panels with blackout liner you could get complete darkness. However, the draperies will still blow when the wind comes though your bottom window.
If draperies aren't your style you could try for each large vertical panel of windows a blind like hunter Douglas silhouette. It's a horizontal blind encased in sheer fabric so you see through the sheers to outside, filters light, gives some privacy throughout daylight and allows you to view outside ( though not the same as having no window treatment) and when dark falls to turn the blinds so they close just like any other horizontal blind.
Hope this helps.
June 8, 2013 at 11:26AM   
OnePlan
Hi Kathy - I think shutters might be your best bet too - anything else is going to flap about in the breeze ! There are some online places where you measure yourself and they make them to size - or some places that come out and measure - but they arnt cheap ! But in my honset opinion - they are a good investment as will last years ! John Lewis have some in most stores If you are UK based ?!? Best of luck with it all ! :-)
June 8, 2013 at 11:52AM   
JMittman Designs
Are you referring to the vent for ventilation? Or do you need to open the window for ventilation. Look at Averte sliding panels from Horizon Shades @ www.horizonshades.com. They slide on a track, like ripplefold curtains, but don't flop around. Stackback is minimal. I think there is a short video on that website demonstrating the use.
June 10, 2013 at 6:33AM   
nicejuice
Those Shades look interesting...but I am not sure if they would work in my situation. I probably need to treat each window panel separately . The door needs it own covering, the middle window needs to be open at bottom for the fresh air but I would like the top to be closed for privacy and the left window could be anything.
Would 3 silhouette blinds look dumb?
June 10, 2013 at 7:34AM   
Blindsgalore
A horizontal sheer shading would work there, even if you need to split them into 3 sections. I would definitely recommend the largest vane size available to help maintain the most of that great view that you can.
June 10, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Fenstermann LLC
There has been some good suggestions here. I think you should take what you have learned and have a professional help you with this situation. You have a lot going on with this. Where are you located?
June 10, 2013 at 9:28AM   
CellularWindowShades.com
Wahtever you choose, make sure you ask about cleanability. Some fabrics can be submerged, others cannot. Light Filtering cellular shades are washable, black out ones are not I always suggest fabric samples and don't be afraid to get them dirty and see what happens. http://cellularwindowshades.com/samples.html
June 10, 2013 at 1:19PM   
nicejuice
Thanks for all the comments - I think I will have a professional come to the house and get a few ideas/estimates. There are definitely pros and cons for all the choices and picking my priorities will be the key to my selection. I should have put another photo on the link - I have a non-working window that looks out into my living room. For 14 years I have not covered it - no need but recently I have been bothered by lights from the street shining in another window and streaming through into our bedroom. I think I would like to address this problem also.
June 10, 2013 at 8:45PM     
nicejuice
Just to make it clear - this window is on the wall right next to the door that opens out. Click on the photo to make it bigger
June 10, 2013 at 8:47PM   
Help with window treatments and accessorizing master bedroom
I'm looking for suggestions with drapes-especially...
Window treatment for master bedroom- 71" wide?
Help me decide on a good, room-darkening window treatment...
need help for proper window treatments in master bedroom
As you can see in the picture, the ceiling above our...
Need help with Master Bedroom- window treatments- ideas
need help with what style and color of window treatments...
Pacific Northwest beach cottage kitchen paint color dilemma
We inherited and restored a 2b/2/b cottage on Puget...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Ceramic tile color and grout color
What color and style ceramic floors are popular today...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Wood floor stain issue!
We are having our floors stained with Bona Jacobean...