HATING my foyer Part 2 :erinbono
erinbono
OK, looking for more help!! I took great advice from here and purchased a bench today (clearance sale from Home Goods) and like is soo much better than what I had. carolins and mmfor, what do you think? I can rehang/center the mirror with bench under it and post pics (once I talk the hubs into it). Just put this Cat pic to the Left of the to give a better idea on the space...maybe a funky table with lamp in the open space there? Any feedback would be phenomonal. Thank you!!!! (Will post the "before" pics in a minute)
erinbono
Here are the before pictures!
June 8, 2013 at 4:22PM   
Shell W
Like the table and setting you have by the stairs in that open space now, I'd keep that. I would, as you mentioned center the bench and mirror on that wall and then maybe add something to the right-hand side (if you are looking directly at the bench standing in front of it) like a tall wicker basket or something with tall stems or floral sticks to add some height and give that wall some texture. This way it will compliment and balance the coat tree out too on the other side of the door opening with similar height. I would not put anything to the left of the bench (under where your cat pic is now), it might be too much since you already have the table by the stairs and it would narrow that walkway/entry into your other room. ABSOLUTELY love the bench, GREAT find, would love one for my foyer.
June 8, 2013 at 4:26PM     
erinbono
Michelle-I was so beyond psyched today. Had s much trouble finding something 60 inches long and this baby was on clearance sale for $199 with no damage! Tossed some pillows on there and am very happy with it. Once I center the mirror and the bench I'm afraid it will look a little lost....will post pics. Thanks so much!
June 8, 2013 at 4:30PM     
Shell W
You are definitely on the right track, love the bench choice, I'm sure you will pull it together and make it work.
June 8, 2013 at 4:39PM     
Nancy Walton
I like the before photo with the chairs--sorry for bursting your bubble.
June 8, 2013 at 4:40PM     
housemamma
Bench looks awesome! What a great find.
June 8, 2013 at 5:00PM     
mcbriec
I think the bench looks great and is much better than the chairs. However, IMO the mirror is far too large for the space and is larger than the bench below it. I believe the rule is that the object above a piece of furniture should be anywhere from 50% to 90% of the width of what's below. To my eye, a two-thirds ratio is ideal.
June 8, 2013 at 5:06PM     
tarapowell99
This is a beautiful foyer! The bench is awesome. I do agree however that the mirror is too large. Between the bench, mirror and painting the wall feels crowded. You could do the cat pic if you used a smaller mirror or several. just try to leave some wall space blank around it. Some vertical decor with height would really look nice. I actual liked the group of round mirors and square pics in your before pic. Maybe you can do a bunch of small mirrors of various shapes with the cat pic integrated in. Pull a couple colors from the painting to use as pillows. it will make a huge difference. Can't wait to see the final product!
June 8, 2013 at 5:40PM     
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Bench and mirror is perfect! Nice find! I agree you should remove the cat picture and center the bench and mirror. Sometimes less is more. You could put a unique metal tall cylinder container to hold umbrellas, that has character and charm, placed next to the bench.
June 8, 2013 at 5:49PM     
erinbono
Yup---mirror is too big. 65 inches and bench is 62.5 inches. Cant scrap the mirror right now. Going to have to work around it. Here's images of mirror centered on the wall.....unsure which I prefer. I am going to scrap the coat tree and work on getting a small half moon table to go to the right of the door (more Houzz advice :)
June 8, 2013 at 6:13PM   
erinbono
Dina and mffor--here's the latest. pics don't really do it justice....think I have to move back mirror because everything looks too "mashed" together near the stairs?
June 8, 2013 at 7:41PM     
mefor
Def move back to the right, loved the smaller multi arrangement you had on wall before, don't know what the pics were but the arrangement and sizes of frames looked good there. I don't think you need to add anything next to bench unless you really need light. Still would like to see small demilune or rectangular table next to front door on right side. Like to see a smaller mirror hung above that table if you get it, or even hung there if nothing goes under it. Maybe use larger mirror in another room, even as a leaner mirror. Then maybe a piece of art over bench, smaller than mirror, but still large. Whew!! Lots of typing!! :)
June 8, 2013 at 7:54PM     
mefor
BTW, LOVE the bench, awesome at any price-bonus for home goods price!!! You did really well
June 8, 2013 at 7:55PM     
mefor
One of my fave things is that you moved the little round table in and a quarter turn around, and not just because it was my idea, it looks so at home there
June 8, 2013 at 7:57PM     
mefor
Girlfriend, half round table was my advice. I think I'm very at home in your entry, lol :)
When carolins gets up tomorrow she's going to be laughing at me
June 8, 2013 at 7:59PM     
mefor
If you do get rid of coat tree, original idea of table behind door would be better.
June 8, 2013 at 8:00PM   
Dinska doo
I Really do like to bench! I think the original postion of the mirror and the group you had to the left of the mirror works better! Nice find on the bench and pillows Sil! My bros wallet has no reason to cry! LOL
June 8, 2013 at 8:01PM     
mefor
Scratch that, not enough room behind door. Wish I could think of all this and fit it into one post.
June 8, 2013 at 8:02PM     
erinbono
Thanks so much mforr--yup moving it back to the right...it just works better if you are in the room. And the round table does look so much better nestled more in the corner--never would have turned it that way on my own. Searching on line for the demilune....unsure of what color wood? Will post pics! SO happy you like the bench!! TY!
June 8, 2013 at 8:04PM     
erinbono
D; never got an anniversary/birthday present....mind you I have tons of over-time coming up so this is the only way his wallet is opened at all!! Ha! He is lying right next to me and says "tell my sister to get off the computer so you'll get off!! GN SIL
June 8, 2013 at 8:10PM     
Cat Rowe
Love love love the bench erin! For more foyer ideas fell free to see my Foyer idea book!
June 8, 2013 at 8:10PM     
mefor
Is bench espresso or black?
June 8, 2013 at 8:12PM   
mefor
How about this one? 4 colors, 2 drawers, not bad
June 8, 2013 at 8:19PM   
mefor
Like this one too
June 8, 2013 at 8:21PM   
mefor
Smaller but less expensive
June 8, 2013 at 8:24PM   
mefor
Sorry, couldn't see dimensions of second one, better pic
June 8, 2013 at 8:26PM   
anne dee

is there a possibility you can replace the mirror with a piece of art and reposition the mirror so that it rests against the opposite wall.pic submit for reference
June 8, 2013 at 8:31PM     
plantlady123
How about painting the mirror frame to match your wall trim? Then it will look more architectural and not so overbearing above the bench.
June 8, 2013 at 8:42PM     
anne dee
The mirror,as is, overpowers the bench.
June 8, 2013 at 8:49PM     
aceprofant
I would remove the table, hides the beautiful architecture of the wall. Put it to the left of the bench under the cat picture. Perhaps the coat stand could go across from the bench. Sometimes less is more and your woodwork is beautiful!
June 8, 2013 at 9:05PM     
I would have preferred to see your round foyer table take center stage in the space on the rug, under a stunning chandelier and topped with a gorgeous bouquet, all reflected in a vertical mirror with a gold frame. The floor mirror should move to an area where it reflects something beautiful or interesting. I think something 75% of the bench's width is the maximum for hanging above it. The bench is creating a waiting room feel for me. Would it work upstairs on a landing or in a hallway? Maybe it could work with a farm table to create a nice breakfast area.
Traditional Entry
Foyer
June 8, 2013 at 9:17PM     
carolins
Good morning everyone :-) I did have some chuckles over this conversation. And how funny that your SIL is here too.
That bench is a lovely find. I think it could have been a bit larger (with that I mean deeper), but then again... it's lovely!
I agree that it doesn't need to be centered on the wall and that the mirror is too large. Shouldn't put another table in there, apart from something near the front door. Turning the table under the stairs around was a genius idea of my friend mforr :-)
If you get a demilune, a smaller mirror (vertical) over that I think.

I found a red demilune at Joss&Main, 31.1" H x 34" W x 14" D for $ 187.95 (very short lived sale)
and a glass console table too, 30" H x 42" W x 14" D for $ 100.95 (also, not long to go I think)
June 9, 2013 at 1:14AM     
castellanol
How about trying the mirror vertically beside the bench. It definitely looks too big
June 9, 2013 at 2:39AM     
mefor
Love the red one, think maybe the glass might be too cold for erinbono's space, plus maybe better with closed storage. Junk drawers are awful, but we need them anyway! :)
Goedemorgen, carolins :• That's me yawning, I know, how rude of me, but it's early
June 9, 2013 at 3:07AM     
carolins
Found this one too at Joss&Main. 36" H x 36" W x 16" D for $ 272.95 (It's a little beauty, but perhaps a bit too expensive for you? The red one is a fun one too. You could put a red pillow on the bench, a red vase on the round table....)

And I just opened this thread again and that first photo really struck me this time. It looks so warm and welcoming and cozy now. Really lovely!
I hope you don't still hate your foyer?
June 9, 2013 at 4:52AM     
mefor
I love, love, love that one carolins! I wish I could find room for it at my house, it's really a little gem. I think you have some great options to choose from this morning erinbono. Have fun checking them all out.
June 9, 2013 at 4:58AM     
carolins
It's cute isn't it? It would be lovely anywhere, hall, bathroom, bedroom, living... I didn't want to sign up for the Joss&Main site first, but they have such lovely things and for really good prices. I'm glad I don't live anywhere near the States and I'm not going to check if they ship to the Netherlands ;-)
June 9, 2013 at 5:02AM     
mefor
I don't blame you, I'm sorry that I get all these updates from RH and PB and west elm and c&b and garnet hill and grandin road and ... . Are they trying to kill me me with great finds?
June 9, 2013 at 5:09AM     
sprieschl
I think the bench is much better than the original set up. Its too busy with the chairs and small table. However, I do think that if you leave the bench in the center, you should consider doing maybe a topiary tree on each side of the bench and replace the mirror with an art piece with color. If you have the bench off center, then maybe a topiary on one side to even out the space. If you keep the mirror above the bench, I think a throw pillow or 2 would be nice to incorporate color, but not ones with scripture. Maybe more of one color with a pattern on them. If you replace mirror with artwork than you don't need pillows but it you do want a pillow still, you could do a solid but maybe one made of a natural color.
June 9, 2013 at 5:17AM     
erinbono
So glad you like th ebench carolins...the seat is narrow but I thought that would be perfect as was planning to center it under the mirror and didn't want to block pathway. But Boo the bench doesn't work centered. The mirror is huge-- 65". Am stuck, once again. Love all the demilunes. Have to measure that space as it looks bigger in pics than it actually is. The red is my favorite--the bench is black with an oak distress and I def. need to get some color happening. DECOENTHUSIAST: Suprised you were the first one that mentioned having the table in the midde of the foyer! I bought the table for that reason but it just didn't work...the table was too big/too high and didn't have the funds to try it again :)
June 9, 2013 at 5:36AM     
carolins
But you said somewhere early on in your first post that you had tried all kinds of set-ups, table in the middle too, and nothing worked. Which is probably why no one else mentioned it. It was why I didn't mention it.
You know why centering the bench on the wall doesn't really work? Because of the table under the stairs. It's feeling a bit top heavy towards that end then.
Love the cat painting too by the way.

If you really like the red one and it fits the space, you need to get over to Joss&Main and subscribe to their daily mail. I think it's only available for another day or so.
June 9, 2013 at 5:49AM     
mefor
That's what I thought about the center of foyer table placement too. Thought you'd tried it and it didn't work. Definitely wouldn't work with bench on wall either. I think that's probably a better fit if foyer was more like 15' across. 12' is a lovely width foyer, but not if you need seating and walking space too. :)
June 9, 2013 at 5:58AM     
erinbono
Dont know how you guys do it.... decorate is exhausting, no? Think that is why so many people just give up! Talking to the husband about the Joss&Main table.....not feeling it's going to happen. WHY can't men see that having a lovely space is crucial to a woman? Sigh. SIL, a little help with Paul? LOL
June 9, 2013 at 6:22AM     
carolins
LOL
June 9, 2013 at 6:47AM     
mefor
Get together SIL's!!!! Show that man the WAY !!
June 9, 2013 at 6:50AM     
erinbono
What do I do with this light switch? And now worried that the red may clash? Pics of close up on table/rug may help you pros?
June 9, 2013 at 8:21AM   
erinbono
Whoops--two table pics instead of rug colors. Agree that the size and shape of pics to the Left of mirror kind of "work" but the colors are a little too drab. Any suggestions on colors that would pop in those size frames? Ha! I am keeping you two too busy on this beautiful Sunday morning!
June 9, 2013 at 8:27AM   
mefor
This is my office today
June 9, 2013 at 8:34AM     
mefor
Of course that means I can't see any of the colors in pictures, too bright out here. I don't know what to do about that darn light switch. Why do electricians think they need to showcase their work? I have a few like that too at beach house because I wasn't around for installs. Grrrrrrrr. If you can have it moved easily then that would be great , otherwise I think I'm looking for a round or oval mirror there.
June 9, 2013 at 8:38AM     
erinbono
I actually bought a round mirror for that spot but with that darn light switch it never looked right. The ironic part, my husband is an electrician!! Light switch placement was there when we moved in. Hubs says no where else will make sense. I will work on him while you Enjoy the sun!!!!!!!!
June 9, 2013 at 8:56AM     
mefor
Sending a bunch of pics of various mirror styles. Just to get an idea of what you might be drawn to. You work on him. And let him know he should always ask the lady of the house if a light switch will be in the way of decorating house, do it for all us gals!! Lol :))
And before he says anything, j know the light switch has to go in a good spot, just not in the prime spot!!
June 9, 2013 at 9:04AM     
samsamyd
Electricians bound by code ...not always what is best for the design. Not sure how much lattitude they have. You can buy lovely, very disguising electrica switch cover ups... and work that into a set of small pictures that blend it right into the group-- but it you hide it too well, it will be hard to find to switch on the light.

And if the bench needs more 'weight' to offset that mirror, a small cabinet, table, or box (painted same color as the bench) and about as hgh as the arm of the bench may help visually extend its presence
June 9, 2013 at 9:04AM     
mefor
Pics
June 9, 2013 at 9:05AM   
mefor
More
June 9, 2013 at 9:06AM   
mefor
More
June 9, 2013 at 9:07AM   
erinbono
Feel a trip to Home Goods coming on!! Still afraid to order on-line have no ability to "visualize" (sad, yes?) Drawn to the Freench Farmhouse and the Laraine mirror (at over $300 though, it's not gonna happen in my house). Will be posting more pics! And Samsamyd...that is what I am planning--to add something that adds weight below mirror but that is very low-key. Can't scrap the mirror and if I put it into another room, the decorating bug will extend to that room and it be the end of my marriage! HA! Thanks so much ladies!!
June 9, 2013 at 9:15AM     
erinbono
ooooh--The Cassidy!! And she's on sale!!
June 9, 2013 at 9:16AM   
haley52204
I think you need a lamp somewhere. Possible a small table top lamp in place of flower on small table. Also, I am not contemporary I am more traditional. I don't like the symmetry of the bench and mirror. I think a huge family photo or a beautiful framed picture. Your house looks absolutely amazing already though!
June 9, 2013 at 9:18AM     
haley52204
Or possible a tall lamp instead of table all together.
June 9, 2013 at 9:19AM   
carolins
If you're in doubt about the red, take a look at overstock.com. Search for console table. Lots and lots of lovely ones.
I sort of gambled that you had red in your rug. And I did see a reddish picture frame on your table. Which is why I thought that a red console could work. But it is always difficult to judge colours from photos on line, so you'll have to see for yourself if it will work or not. If in doubt... look for something that you're absolutely sure about. You can live without one ;-)

mffor, you've got it made! And you've selected lots of lovely mirrors too. Enjoy the lovely sunshine.
June 9, 2013 at 9:25AM     
mefor
Just went looking for shells, not many there today. But, aaaaaaaahhhhh, feels good here. Check back in later ladies! :)
June 9, 2013 at 9:31AM     
bumblebee728
Painting the light switch the same color as the wall will help it to go away some.
June 9, 2013 at 10:02AM     
Candace Adkins
I like your rug.
June 9, 2013 at 10:54AM     
silverscreenstar
I like brass switch plates, in a colonial style. Why try to hide them? Just make sure they go with the rest do the decor! Try Baldwin, if you are looking for a high-end brand. They are elegant and classy and are beautifully crafted.
June 9, 2013 at 11:07AM     
rashjeh
I feel the sofa needs a neutral-co loured seat cushion to sit on and brightening up with some more happy cushions and, possibly, a rug to create some drama. I have done a photo shopped image which may be too bright for you but will open your mind to possibilities. The space looks lovely though!
June 9, 2013 at 11:21AM     
rashjeh
Trying to send the image again.
June 9, 2013 at 11:26AM     
Hating my Foyer- Part 3
First image is my own "creative photo shop". Hung...
Hating my Foyer--Any help would be SO appreciated!
I am not a techie at all---can't even load pics! Hope...
I hate my foyer !
Could you please tell me where you purchased this beautiful...
2nd part of my livingroom......help help
Probably some of you already saw what I am doing in...
How to arrange my furniture in a formal living room part 2
Hi everyone, here is a better pic. I am selling the...
This house needs your attention please !!!!
Our house needs serious help , facelift , exterior...
Decorating an upstairs front patio
I am a snowbird in FL with an upstairs entrance patio....
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Insulation on an Earth Home (underground)
I was the other day having a bit of a debate with my...
12 mm laminate wood flooring vs. engineered wood flooring.
In a duplex we put 12 mm laminate "faux" wood flooring,...