Patio cover?
grewa002
The previous owners of our house had an ugly wall to wall outdoor carpet covering the patio. We removed it, and now it is concrete, which is also ugly. I would like to put something over the concrete, both in the patio and the pool area. We put bluestone on our front porch, but it would be too expensive to put in the back as well. The gate cannot go, because we have small children and we need it for the pool. Any ideas for something that would make the area look good but not be too expensive?
grewa002
Any ideas for the patio flooring? Thanks a lot,
Anna
June 8, 2013 at 6:16PM   
kath203
Check out the stamped concrete companies that put an overcoat on concrete
June 9, 2013 at 5:19AM   
DMH DESIGN
Slate is not too expensive. The labor to install it will be much greater than the cost of the material. Here is a shot of what it could look like around a pool deck (indoor pool). I hope that this helps you with the design process. Good Houzzing.
June 24, 2013 at 12:27PM   
Architectural Gardens, Inc
What climate zone are you in? That is important to know because concrete overlays will not last outside in places like Chicago which is in zones 5-6. Water works its way underneath the overlay which freezes/expands repeatedly over the course of a winter, which will cause the overlay to separate/chip over time.

If any concrete finishers have come across a product that will work in the upper Midwest let me know!
June 24, 2013 at 12:49PM   
DMH DESIGN
Grewa--Hopefully you aren't in Climate zone 5/6. It just says US on your profile. My guess is that even if so, this is a solvable problem, with GC input from that area. What about heat trace, like under stone paths and paver drives used during winter in that part of the country? A tarp and a little heat might just do the trick. These areas, if not under cover of roof, are seasonal use anyway, right?
June 24, 2013 at 1:54PM   
grewa002
Thanks for the replies!
I am in Massachusetts, so that places me in the 6 zone
June 24, 2013 at 2:20PM   
kadodi
Please watch this video on youtube
June 24, 2013 at 2:20PM   
Anne
June 24, 2013 at 2:31PM     
LB Interiors
Great paints for concrete are available. Can faux finish in 2 colors.
June 24, 2013 at 2:38PM   
DMH DESIGN
In terms of paint, would there be a concern of how slippery it gets around a pool deck? or does this coating contain any silica in the mix? Coefficient of friction should be part of the discussion when deciding what direction you choose to go. I believe fencing around an open pool is required now. I am not even sure that insurance is possible without it now.
June 24, 2013 at 6:20PM   
LB Interiors
There are paints available that have a grit or sand like texture.
June 24, 2013 at 9:23PM   
DMH DESIGN
Thanks LB, how does that impact their long term longevity? What is the mfr. recommendation for recoats? if it is every 7-10 years in an uncovered area, that is a decent product, but because it is a horiz. surface next to chlorinated water, if it is considerably less, it may not be that cost effective. Please edify me, I would be interested to know. I'm guessing this product behaves well in a covered or interior space, but outside?
June 24, 2013 at 10:53PM   
LB Interiors
June 24, 2013 at 11:58PM   
Granite/Quartzite for taupe walls, white cabinets
Having a heck of a time selecting a counter top for...
Our house was designed by a man, for a man.
Our bathroom is dark, boring and has cheap mirrors...
Need Suggestions, Please!
I am looking to purchase an area rug for this family...
Narrow Area in a Basement Bar
We just completed a basement bar renovation with granite...
How to clean off grout haze from tiles
Just finished tiling the entire house! used a plank...