should I paint the house exterior brick white
Rocky HiramanJune 9, 2013
We love the color white. This house looks outdated with the bottom half brick and the top half cedar shingles. I was wondering if painting the brick white will update the exterior of the house. We have similar homes in the neighborhood none of them are all white. Please give me some suggest on this dilemma.
Thanks
The door, shutters and lighting is what looks out dated to me. I would remove the shutters and paint out the trim. New door (without oval glass)-new color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:30AM
jpp221
I think painting the brick would blandify (my word, use it freely) the house. The dark brick grounds a suburban idyllic house wonderfully.

The front door and shutters (which are too flimsy) are where I'd focus my efforts. Shutters should work (or look like they do)--big enough to cover the windows when turned in, and beefy (we all got fooled by these 3/4" vinyl sears Roebuck shutters nailed flat to a wall like perps in a lineup).
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:33AM
I am normally a "no paint brick" person. But I understand how you feel about the house.
I have a brick cottage that the previous owners painted antique white (I don't recommend that color) but it changed the whole look of the house…for the better. I know it was Ben Moore paint and it has a satin finish and it has held up well for many years.

I found a pix of a Colonial, brick painted BM White Dove. And as recommended above authentic shutters and a new door would really add to your home.

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Rocky Hiraman    June 9, 2013 at 9:43AM
Connie Cunningham Designs
I'm all for painting out that brick! And if you dont want to change out the shutters, paint them a color that is reinforced by the new front door color ( I agree that the oval is dated) and less dramatic, even a brown would be better than black..

Also ( landscape designer here) your landscape is doing nothing to showcase your house and to me, that is what is also aging the appearance and where Id put the bulk of the money.

ie: you do not have a gracious or welcoming entry. It's like a pinhole that you have to squeeze through visually. Widen your entry porch to the outsides of those shrubs you have, make it welcoming. Do a semi circle , that's where the brick belongs, and put some pots of colorful plants out there, and tie it into your walk to the driveway, a wide walk that 2 people an comfortably walk on together. so..... 5ft....And bring your plantings OUT into the yard.

This style - where everything is up against the house and the tiny entry stoop? Is too fussy to be warm.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Rocky Hiraman    June 9, 2013 at 9:53AM
planmaam
OMG, I know what I'd do here: Add a front porch by continuing the roofline of the garage all the way across the front of the house. Then add columns and widen the front walkway/entry as Connie has said. And I'd paint the brick, too. With the horizontal line of a front porch and roofline adding contrast, all white would work. If no front porch, I'd paint the brick, but not white. I'd paint it a neutral gray, taupe color to anchor it more.

Love your box bay windows, but they get lost. Agree about a new front door without the oval window.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:03AM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Landscaping would add a lot to the appeal of your lovely home. Here's a sketch of my ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Rocky Hiraman    June 9, 2013 at 12:57PM
bonnielynn75
I'd paint the shingles a darker colour (taupe or shade darker, something from the brick)and change the door colour to something complementary. Bigger/ bolder light fixtures and pull out the landscaping as suggested above.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Rocky Hiraman    June 9, 2013 at 1:04PM
J Wey
This home looks very similar to yours and I think this exterior makeover looks great! http://diycozyhome.com/52-ways-to-improve-your-homes-curb-appeal/
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 9:51PM
reggiesmall
I find this kind of structure, where the top portion juts out about 1-1.5' beyond the lower portion of the house, really imbalanced. It just seems too top-heavy and out of proportion (cozy thought it must be on the inside :)

I agree with J Wey and planmaam; my first thought was that it actually needs a full covered porch, with columns, across the entire front. Of course with a wider, more impressive entry with a new door and hefty columns that support a lovely small portico (that's what it's called, no? ).

I think you'd be fine with all white or the gray of the picture J Wey sent in looks beautiful..... Once you get the balance back, it'll be so much better. Shutters have to be addressed as well.

And yes, excellent hardscaping (appropriate paving, wide, elegant walkway leading to the more pronounced and established front entrance ) and beautiful landscaping and your lovely home will be magnificent.
    Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 10:21PM
Should I paint the exterior brick of my 1040's ranch?
I've been interested in painting my brick to a soft...
topofthepine
Paint the brick? Leave the brick? What to do on this bi level exterior.
The person we bought the house from put up beige (sand...
gennersb
Exterior color for our bland white brick house?
We're having a difficult time coming up with a color...
Mike Copenhafer
What bold color should I paint my door? (Cream house, white trim)
This is the house as it is, "before". It is a cream...
shaneandkatie
Help! What exterior color should I paint my 50's Ranch with a brick fireplace?
I would prefer not to paint over the brick as it is...
scenicroute
Please Help! What layout is best for my narrow living room?
Please help! I have lived here almost three years and...
kayleekristine
Master bathroom
Room is 10 by 12. How to lay out free standing tub...
bgrn424
Nursery wall art - how high to hang?!? Please help a first timer!
Hi all! - I'm hanging 8 different little animals in...
bonnieanneryan
Backsplash help!!!
Hi my kitchen is all done except backsplash and paint....
scooper25
Crap, now what?(Bathroom help!)
Hello Houzz family!! Here's what I need your expertise...
kimbolaya