Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjs4

Living Room Seating Dilemma

T L
10 years ago
Hi! I've got a cottage styled house. My living room is spring green with punches of hot/light pink. Right now, I've got a long couch along the side wall and a loveseat in an L shape, with a little office space right in the corner of the "L" of the 2 couches. Right next to the armoire (to the right) is the hallway to the bedrooms. I like the living room -- it's comfortable -- but I'm afraid the seating doesn't fit the space.
Here's my questions - Do I get rid of the round coffee table and get two smaller stools to serve as a table/footstool?
Also, should I get rid of the loveseat and get 2 small chairs or perhaps a chaise lounge with a back 1/2 back (like on a sectional)? My fiancee and I enjoy lounging on the two couches/loveseat so I've been reluctant to do so...but I'm wondering if changing the seating would free up more room

Comments (77)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    OK if you eat at coffee table keep it. Can you remove bookcases?. They aren't doing anything except adding clutter. Remove and put desk there if cant go in bedrm. If you could move back another 5-6 ft would open up space so much.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Do you guys know of a way to keep the desk facing the TV and still open the room? I have a 2nd job where I work from home on the computer and typically watch TV from there...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Now that I see new pic. I thought br thing on FP was a mirror?. Remove it hang on gray wall. Add the art over FP. Place both those chairs on either side of FP. Remove all items from mantel. Incl fringe thing. We' ll handle that later, remove lamps etc. remove whatever is on floor. If must keep place out of sight next to armoire.
  • lmj091076
    10 years ago
    I had the same TV/ desk problem... I solved it by placing a good sized mirror over the desk and could watch the TV behind me : ) ...as long as there was no closed captioning it worked great!!
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Travis, which gray wall? The adjoining hallway (to left of fireplace) is gray but already has the white mirror on it. The brown thing is a mirror that used to be on a dresser. The three pics in between the windows are going away, as I got another set of curtains with the same colors/theme of cabbage roses. Here's another option I was considering instead of the current loveseat (whose back is facing the front door to make a makeshift entry/landing).
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I thought the chaise lounge, with its open back, might make the room feel bigger, as well as allowing for lounging/napping when the sofa was occupied...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    The only thing I can think of for desk. Is to get rid of armoire. Move firepl to that space. Place TV on top don't need to mount on wall. Put desk to left of fireplace. Still put daybed opposite FP. But pushed way back. So you have more rm for coffee table add just one comfy chair. If you want to keep two small chairs just put side by side on wall where FP was. Don't put anything on mantel. On window that look into home. At Home Depot or Lowes they sell a spray in a can that will frost your glass. Still lets light in but can't see in. Take your time to spray on. It wants to drip. So slow even spray.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I meant by bathroom wall. Put you could lose it doesn't match.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    If you lined up the desk and the TV against one wall you could get this look.
    East Village Studio · More Info
  • Melissa Gennello
    10 years ago
    I highly recommend Macy's Chloe metro sofas...my mother has the same problem and the smaller size makes the room have so much space...they also have a great replacement/ protection deal...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Chaise would work still want daybed? Might have lose big coffee table chaise take up a lot of room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Or just get a nice sectional not huge 2 seater with a chaise on both end. Float in room facing TV. Would work in small space will open up room too.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure if this helps but wanted to show other 2 walls - to right of FP is arch to dining room. I don't have one solid wall which makes it tough.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Could keep coffee table I think? might have to go smaller.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You can also see the window in the door - it's small, but we keep a little of the glass clear so we can see what's going on outside...
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    This is fun... You're probably overwhelmed by now. I'm new to Houzz and this is the first time I've chipped in my 2 cents. Anyway - more thoughts.

Have you considered nice folding chairs for company? They're not all dreadful (don't think school gym). You could store them away completely. The two you have kind of drag the fresh colour down but there's probably not much you can do about that at this time. A future consideration. I would take the two chairs away. About the desk, what about a table instead? You have control over the depth of such a worktop. If you are good at organizing, there are lots of very fresh and modern storage 'things' that would look nice on the shelves and keep the fresh colours going. You could even store UNDER the table. As for eating, there are simple tables that have bases that go under the couch (kind of a C shape) that can be moved around in front as needed. They don't take EXTRA space. You could also eat at the desk. The round table just seems too big and I'd still love to see the TV cabinet disappear. One focal point in the tiny room would suggest TV OR fireplace but putting them together frees up space for sure.
  • lmj091076
    10 years ago
    Questions: Is the fireplace moveable? Do you like/ use it in the living room? Is the bookcase full of stuff for your job? Does it have to be in proximity to the desk?
  • lmj091076
    10 years ago
    I'm having fun too! tjs4 is probably totally stressing by now : ) Your house is super cute and I want to see you able to pull it all together! Shoebunny and I will help you shove furniture around in Houzz-land...
  • deprazer
    10 years ago
    I'm confused as to why you have so much bedding in the room. It seems you need to decide if the room is for lounging or entertaining - this might help you decide on what you want in the room and how much space you need.
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    I had considered a chaise for MY living room because I sit sideways on the couch to watch TV and do my hand work. The chaise was really comfortable in the store BUT I decided against it due to the fact that I have company too. What's comfy for me by myself wouldn't work for having people sitting properly. Part of being comfortable also has to do with putting your feet up. You don't HAVE to have a couch to do that. You just need a coffee table. Maybe you can even get a coffee table with a couple of upholstered stools underneath it for extra seating. When it comes time to get new seating, remember that there are 'apartment-sized' couches. If you don't get pouffy arms and backs, you can seat more people.

I just got a swivel/glider on a very small scale (called Lucy, I think). It fits me (I'm short) and takes little room. The swivel works well for tighter places as well. I think it takes up about 3 feet/1 metre cubed. You can probably handle something larger if you don't keep the couch and streamline the fireplace/TV/coffee table issue.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think, ultimately, I might move the TV to on top of the FP and put one or two club chairs where the loveseat is, and replace the couch with a sectional/chaise lounge combo. That way we can still lounge but hopefully the room will look bigger and less cluttered. I also could move a bookshelf to the left of the FP to hold all of A/V equipment...
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    The fireplace doesn't move? If it did, you could still watch TV while you're working.
    I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we, the suggesters, did. Quite dizzying, I should think.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Shabby chic can easily slip into clutter gone overboard! I think that is what has happened here. That green table hovering over the rad would make a great TV table and the armoire could go. That would open up a lot of square footage. Why isn't the desk between the windows instead of between the sofas?
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    Neat idea. Room under the table for the various TV boxes. Desk between windows is good except for watching TV. How often do you actually look UP at the TV when you're working. I listen mostly and look up occasionally.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lol. I'm an avid multi-tasker. The screen of the TV is right in the line of sight of the laptop screen so I can pretty much do both!
  • lilladywhit21
    10 years ago
    Needs color
  • PRO
    Inside out design
    10 years ago
    Your couch s's. are too large! with even larger slip covers, I can see you care and sometimes we only have what we have to work with, If it were me and say I could not buy new furnishings, keep the cleanest best couch, work on fitting those slipcovers. Keep on the look out for a second hand find with a armed chair, (maybe a nice wooden dining chair with arms, with padded seat and back done in a weathered wood. This would add seating but not close the room off as the legs on the occasional chair would let floor space show. Then an ottoman (maybe on legs again. I have taken a end table and turned into an ottoman, you can cut the legs down or not, its like a bench seating, they work next to a couch too! If your going to have the shabby chic white look , it only works with putting mostly all white including the walls and window treatments, using only an little neutral beige here or there or color in a pillow or a painted floor, really with the other things you have in the room all that white just looks....like you need some help and you are totally awsome for asking for ideas.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    Okay, I am not a spokesperson for the Ekornes furniture company, but I have had the pleasure of experiencing their line of sectional and chairs, and with absolutely no doubt in my mind, I can tell you that they have designed the ULTIMATE in comfort, I kid you not! It has everything to do with the "ergonomic" design whether one is sitting up or reclining. Go to a showroom and sit in one for 30 minutes! Just sit there! Why am I telling you this? Because your cottage living room is too small a space for your "lounging" style and the other functions you require the space to provide. Barring suggesting you move your television to the bedroom, where you might then be spending a large portion of your time, or purchasing a double-wide chaise, eliminating the possibility of entertaining in your charming cottage all together!, I'm suggesting one Ekornes, 3 seat reclining sofa, and accessorize with other dual purpose table/seating units after. Granted, it's an investment, but for what you get it's one for all of the right reasons! http://vitalityweb.com/backstore/Ekornes-Sofas.htm
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    Here's their actual web site: http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-sofas
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately, I can't afford a brand new couch right now :( I'm planning a wedding so all of my money is going towards that, and I was hoping to find something off of craigslist that might work at a cheap price. I did find this for $200, maybe put it in the back corner if I put the TV on top of the fireplace?
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    A sectional?! Do you know the size of the area you have for seating--not counting the space you need to move around it? I always carry a measuring tape in my car, but do get the measurement of this sectional before you spend your $200; I'll bet it's far too big for your cottage! Good Luck! And Congratulations on your coming marriage!
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    I left this conversation about 17 hours ago and now my head is spinning!!! :) I can't believe all the furniture that has been moved in my absence!! someone is getting a workout!
  • joanbllt
    10 years ago
    This floor plan works, but it would require moving the bookcases out and also the armoire - which is way too big for your space. The tv would go over the fireplace - add two small ottomans or a rectangular coffee table - and a corner table - see the plan where corner is now empty - a table lamp there - The desk faces the wall but you would only have to turn sideways to see the tv. The other thing is to de clutter - easier said than done.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What color should the ottomans be? Tan or my accent color, hot pink?
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    The pink is very strong. Personally, I'd keep any accents in that colour small. The white coverings on the big pieces keeps the fresh look. You COULD do the ottomans a dark chocolate brown. Your floor's dark brown, isn't it? I have discovered that blue- purples look very pretty with that green. I didn't put much of the purple in my room either. I just have it picked out in a pattern on an accent cushion, flowers, and just little spots here and there. You could do that with your pink.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about something like this? It's from Wal-Mart, and it's a larger ottoman with a tray top and a smaller ottoman
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Or two of these in a brown suede material (not the black, as pictured)...
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    Hey! You're on to something. I was WONDERING if you'd find something with storage solutions. Yes, 2 in the brown. Then you guys can have your 'coffee table', still put your feet up, and have extra seating for friends, too. This is what small space furniture is all about. Find the one that's the right height for all of those uses and you've got it. You can always put them together and a tray on top for 'decorating' with a bowl of flowers or drinks.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the sectional I'm considering to fit in that back corner - it's light grey. Would that be an okay color in this room?
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And as a bonus, these pieces can come apart and move...
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    It's HUGE. You might as well keep the ones you have already and just shove them back.
    Colour-wise - you need to be able to take a swatch of one colour or the other TO the other when you're not certain. Do you still have green left that you could paint on a piece of paper or something? Then you can take it with you when you're looking at furniture. It's hard to tell in the photos.
  • Hailey Zehnder
    10 years ago
    I think if you ge rid of the loveseat and just get 1-2 smaller chairs it would look fantastic. Maybe an ottoman instead of the coffee table too?! Good luck!
  • PRO
    Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
    10 years ago
    sorry tj - this sectional requires a very large room. Because space is an issue in your space, this is not going to solve anything - in fact it could make situation worse.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about something like this? It's tan in color and is a lot smaller than the grey one. It's got three cushions down the other side, which will be in front of the windows. If I bring my rocking chair in or a club chair to where the loveseat is now, it should work...?
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    Better than the grey one. Where does your desk fit with this one? The sectionals are so HUGE. Guess they suit your lounging lifestyle.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm going to rotate my desk around and face it towards the wall. I think this will help to keep the room more open...
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Chaise sectionals are a pain. You have to live with whichever side you choose for the chaise and it is never the correct one when you want to change things. Maybe the two of you will be happier with one of those love/recliner two seaters for you and a plain two-seater for guests. Keep them apartment sized and very small scale or they'll eat your room like the current ones do.
  • shoebunny
    10 years ago
    Just do what makes you happy. Commenters have certainly given suggestions for less furniture and most have suggested to get rid of one of the couches. Now it's time for you to just digest it all, get out your measuring tape, move things out and around and go with your gut. It's YOUR house. I hope you two will be very happy together. Best of luck. 'Over and out' from ShoeBunny.
  • T L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all. I think, after some deep, deep meditation (okay maybe not so much) that I will simply put the TV on top of the fireplace, sell the armoire, and coffee table, move the loveseat to where the armoire was, and get the two cubes to replace the coffee table. I'll also turn the desk to the wall. Basically, what joanblltrecommended :) Pictures of the final product soon!!!!!! THANKS AGAIN!
  • joanbllt
    10 years ago
    looking forward to the results