Desperately needing curb appeal help!
kwesselman
This is the front of our house. Lots of flagstone and concrete. We don't know where to start, but we do know we want color. Any ideas welcome.
Barnhart Gallery
What a charmer! There are a number of ways you can go depending on your budget. And in either case, it's much more a matter of enhancing what you have rather than changing it. (Except for a bit of jackhammering on the high end to create planting beds.)
June 10, 2013 at 6:32am   
msmliss
I agree! Once the jackhammer work is finished you can bring in the living things and begin to relax and breathe! GORGEOUS! front door!
June 10, 2013 at 11:09am     
kwesselman
What part would you jackhammer?
June 10, 2013 at 5:07pm   
Lesli Richardson
Can you add pics so we can see what looks to be a garage?
June 10, 2013 at 5:42pm     
designsublime
If using the jackhammer and doing bedding isn't in the budget right now, I would play off of the red roof and use large cast concrete container with dark greenery and maybe some geraniums in front of the landing to give an illusion of hedge, paint the bench a complimentary shade close to the roof color and at the right corner use another large container with something tall and slender in a lighter green to soften that corner....It is a lovely home.
June 10, 2013 at 5:51pm     
handymam
Gorgeous stonework. This house would benefit from some greenery, jackhammered in or in very large pots.

Why is there a yellow line on the curb?
June 10, 2013 at 5:52pm     
I imagine the yellow line keeps people from tripping.

How about a few of these?
June 10, 2013 at 5:58pm     
zeitgast
If that is a driveway perhaps you could break it up with some green (climate permitting)
June 10, 2013 at 5:59pm     
handymam
I see your dilemma now. The garage door is on the left in the pic and is right up to the side of the stairs?

Definitely put plants in those pots by the chimney, and maybe a hayrack style window box on the railing. Plant flowers that will spill ove the side.
June 10, 2013 at 6:03pm     
Love Of Design
Just a little inspiration
June 10, 2013 at 6:20pm        Thanked by kwesselman
ganel
what about decorative finish on your concrete floor?
June 10, 2013 at 6:27pm        Thanked by kwesselman
Love Of Design
Some more idea's
June 10, 2013 at 6:28pm     
msmliss
Yes, I realize now, too, that that the garage entrance is right up against that gutter, however, I like zeigast's suggestion, and saw a house transformation on one of the television remodeling shows a while back where the new owner made his entire driveway like it, very large diamonds of concrete with a hardy grass inbetween and it was spectacular! If your budget affords, get some opinions of possibly sawing through that concrete. As for the yellow caution line! lol consider extending that step with an edge of stone like what's on the house, and stain the walk to set off the stone edge. Finally, I agree with purchasing large/tall CURVED terracotta-like urns and plant with drought tolerant, slow-growing, dramatic spear-like leafed plants suitable for your area, round shapes and tall open ones, the taller the better.
June 11, 2013 at 7:17am        Thanked by kwesselman
soberg
Charming house, the stonework and arches are really lovely and nicely done. The concrete is just a bit stark. If you have to have paving over that whole area for some reason, I would go for something more decorative: e.g. add stone or brick trim, stamped concrete, tinted or stained, pebbles embedded, etc,.
June 11, 2013 at 8:02am     
msmliss
Barring the expense of breaking up the drive, I like soberg's idea of considering faux stone stains!
June 11, 2013 at 8:05am     
Eric M Schiabor Artist and Residential Designer
I Would start out by balancing the home by covering the stone around the windows,with colored stucco ,a nice golden ,or a red rust color
than add a wooded trellis and some columns,Also I recommend a rendering and colored elevations of you home
to help in design
Eric M Schiabor Artist and residential designer
June 11, 2013 at 8:36am        Thanked by kwesselman
kwesselman
Wow, I'm very impressed with all of the suggestions. My husband and I agree about the yellow line. It was here when we moved in, but it is worthy of a chuckle. It was to keep people from tripping. I added more pics. One of the back of the house. Thank you all so much. I'm inspried.
June 11, 2013 at 4:41pm     
handymam
I think some weightyer railings up to the front door would add some charm as well.

Check the ideabooks for an arbor that would span the three garage doors. Perhaps you could add a vine at the far end to grow up and along the arbor to add some greenery and color.
June 11, 2013 at 5:55pm     
I would remove the bench and wall plant box and put in a wall fountain. Add some greenery on each side. I think if you stained the walkway entrance a brown color you could do away with the yellow line. It will define the step up.
June 11, 2013 at 6:01pm     
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
Change out the white soffit/facia/gutters/trim. Add a bolder railing, repaint/change the white garage doors, maybe even update the roof. Entry doors are nice, but a re-stain/paint could make them pop and work on the driveway and that step.
June 11, 2013 at 6:54pm     
jiangmeidesign
The size of the plants by the side of your front door and between the garage doors are too small. Changing to something larger/taller will add impact. I don't know what's in front of the driveway. I think if you do good lanscaping there, it will draw people's attention away from the driveway.
June 11, 2013 at 7:12pm     
printesa
If you want to keep the concrete yard, then use large pots to bring some green. Depending on your area, you can use plants that work. Here is an example
June 11, 2013 at 7:23pm        Thanked by kwesselman
handymam
printesa, that's nice!
June 12, 2013 at 8:06am     
Soothing Company
Our outdoor wall fountains are available in several finishes...
http://www.soothingwalls.com/outdoor-fountains/wall-outdoor-fountains.html
June 12, 2013 at 9:26am     
The Brothers that just do Gutters
The addition of Half Round Copper Gutters would add color and contrast. You could add custom copper leaders and downspouts to finish the job! Good luck :)
June 12, 2013 at 9:49am     
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I love stone but too much of one element can ruin it . You wanted color try this for color .
June 12, 2013 at 4:52pm        Thanked by kwesselman
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
For a starter budget, stain the concrete drive with a deep chocolate and rust color. Add copper flower boxes that hang from the top of the wrought iron railing. Google them. Plant colorful cascading vines in the flower boxes. You need light sconces that are twice the size of the existing ones. These are to small. Also a larger lantern from the ceiling. Paint the white soffits and fascia boards a deep brown color that looks like a natural dark brown wood color. Add large terra cotta or glazed blue, green and yellow flower pots by the fireplace. Add a tall wrought iron decorative piece that's about 3 feet wide by 6 feet tall to the wall up high on the chimney centered between the window. Many of the Homegoods type stores have them for under $50.00
June 12, 2013 at 5:06pm     
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
One more option a little less color stained concrete .
June 12, 2013 at 5:30pm      Thanked by kwesselman
rwpanek
If possible, paint soffit, fascia, downspouts and window frames/mullions taupe to brown/antique bronze. Then add some climbing ivy to grow on the chimney.
June 12, 2013 at 5:31pm     
soberg
I like the simplicity and dignity of the current look. The stone has a massive quality that should not be trifled with via futzy details, IMO. Any enhancements should keep this in mind.
June 14, 2013 at 9:43am     
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Something has to be done with that driveway, It throws everything off . In this drawing I added copper lighting, painted the gutters and fascia, toned down colors and less plants .
June 14, 2013 at 7:22pm        Thanked by kwesselman
Red Berm
I agree with the above poster that you should add grass strips but I also think you should change the entry stairs into a grander open look that half circles back to the house (albeit one sided half circle) then cut out the area next to the house for a planter. See below images for concepts.
June 14, 2013 at 7:33pm     
tcufrog
I would paint the gutters to match the stone so they fade into the house. I would also paint the trim around the windows a brownto coordinate with the front door. The white looks cheap on a rather high end looking house.
June 14, 2013 at 7:50pm     
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I'll modify the drawing tommorow to include the above mention colors and see about the steps any other suggestions please list .
June 14, 2013 at 8:03pm   
Cat Rowe
Oh dear EBHD!
June 14, 2013 at 8:19pm   
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
No need Rowe I am out all yours .
June 14, 2013 at 8:25pm   
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Because I keep to my word here are the modifications to the drawing .Last and final.
June 16, 2013 at 9:26am        Thanked by kwesselman
soberg
Re the yellow painted line to keep people from tripping: Great motivation, not so great execution. How about covering/replacing it with some bright decorative tiles that serve the same purpose but don't look so....governmental? Then tie the tiles in with color or pattern elsewhere.
June 22, 2013 at 9:09am        Thanked by kwesselman
Cat Rowe
Excellent on your last design EBHD! What did you do on the drive? Flagtone overlay or stain? I like how you changed the roof colour! It just warmed the whole design up! I would opt for a different bench, just a change from cement or stone.
June 24, 2013 at 6:05pm      Thanked by kwesselman
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
When I do a drawing for a client I have already spoken with them to find out there likes and dislikes.. I then can produce a realistic drawing of what we discussed . It's a bit challenging on houzz you don't always get the whole picture from the brief description we get hence I may miss the mark from time to time but eventually get the idea from your comments . To answer your question after looking at the house I realized it had a monochromatic feel . By changing the color of the roof , adding a Pensilvania veneer stone to the drive way the house came alive with warmth . I also added two suggestion from houzz members. One member said to make a wider entryway so I did another said make trim darker so I did . Can,t take all the credit but it works . just want to give houzz members and designers another way to express there visions .Take a look at my projects on houzz you will see much better drawings . Visit my site www. Ebtdesigns.com think you,ll like what you see.
June 24, 2013 at 7:02pm        Thanked by kwesselman
Suburan Designs
I would suggest a wall mounted arbor over the garage doors. See my Idea Book on Arbors.
June 30, 2013 at 8:26pm      Thanked by kwesselman
Desperate Need of Curb APPeal - new front walkway
Need privacy hedge or large tree to work off of single...
In desperate need of curb appeal...
We purchased this home about a year and a half ago....
We desperately need some 'Curb Appeal' !!!
This is an old house that an addition has been put...
Desperate need of some curb appeal!
This lovely 70s split level is in dire need of an exterior...
Exterior Design- in desperate need of curb appeal!
See picture. There is a slope right in front of the...
Help! Need to balance the room!
We'd like to completely redecorate & rearrange this...
Decorating dilemma: what to do with this space?
I don't know what to do with this area of my apartment....
Back Splash on unusual wall
I don't know if I should continue the stone behind...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...