How do I make this a coastal kitchen?
mbb1006
The man who built/owned my new vacation home on the intracoastal didn't have a clue. How do I make this kitchen/living area fit in with its beachy surroundings?
sully721
Paint those cabinets white!! That will really help soften it up and add an airier feel :)
4 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:16PM
Start with the lighting and update all those ceiling mounted fixtures. Bring in some natural woven shades.
4 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:16PM
barbararothgeb
What about some white duck cushions on the chairs and white accessories on the countertops.
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:26PM
barbararothgeb
Perhaps even matchstick blinds on the windows.
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:28PM
mbb1006
We haven't closed yet, so everything here is his. New stools and window treatments definitely in order! Seems a crime to paint the cabinets, but I think it may have to happen.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:38PM
Jayme H.
Before painting cabinets, I would look at lighter wall color, natural textured blinds, new lighting, possibly new countertops.
6 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:45PM
LB Interiors
Any blue, aqua, teal and blue/green family of colors with white. a few choice accessories. Fabrics of linen, cotton and wovens. Bamboo, rattan. and natural woods. Organic materials.
Kingwood Township Kitchen & Renovation Williams Residence
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:59PM
LB Interiors
Sea glass, colored glass, seashells and coral. etc
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:04PM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
If you are going to keep the dark cabinets, I think some white bead board would help. I would change out those dark countertops, though. Profile, Water's Edge
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:06PM
LB Interiors
You've already got a good start. The chairs. and paint seem blue. Just keep building what you like. It will come together. Only repaint the cabinets if need but can work around them. Coastal doesn't always mean white cabinetry.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:07PM
LB Interiors
Add a few black touches to tie in the counters. Use black frames for art. A black vase with seaweed.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 6:09PM
Kim Walton
a few beach accessories on top of the cabinets with the recommended matchstick blinds, glass back splash, beach color walls and new bar stools will make a big difference. Consider a different ceiling fan and a sea grass rug and your wood tone cabinets may be fine..
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 7:06PM
tcufrog
If you want to keep the dark cabinets I would look to the West Indies or British colonial design for inspiration rather than Florida or California.
8 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 7:27PM
clubnev
If you change the countertops to a light granite, it will brighten up the kitchen. You could also use Pompeii stone (similar product to sile or Caesar stone). They have one with pieces of seashell in it. It's neutral, also and would pop against those cabinets. I attached a picture from a showroom that has dark cabinets with the Pompeii stone.
5 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:05PM
jabbott2012
My Florida neighbor did a West Indies look and it was fabulous! Made me want to redo my place.
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:13PM
Two Blind Guys
Congratulations on the new vacation home! Window treatments are definitely an affordable way to spruce up any room. I would recommend something like a Hunter Douglas Woven Wood Shade. They come in a variety of woven textures. Everything from grassy to bamboo materials and they will definitely give you that tropical feeling.
3 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 8:17AM
Nancy Hehmann
If you have a good view you might want to keep it on the windows and just use Roman shades in a white; but if not white shutters might help with the look. Love the cabinets.

Another way to get in the mood is by having coastal accessories! I would go to Etsy.com and use their search engine and input "coastal" , "beach", "nautical" and other terms to see what comes up.

Also, try photography to put you in the mood. It is very realistic and uplifting. I cannot tell what part of the country you are located; but, I have a photography shop on Etsy.com, nancyhehmann is the name and work with a nationally recognized photo lab. You can order any image in any size or on Canvas or metal by contacting me. I would determine the cost and do a custom listing for you. I will post some coastal images but have many more.
4 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 9:06AM
wolujewicz
I have a shore house as well, but not into the "shorey" decor. I think a light countertop would do the trick, along with painting the walls. This is a picture of my kitchen at the shore...
3 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 9:13AM
kath203
I definitely would keep cabinets as they are. I just painted my cabinets in shore home because cabinets were in desperate need. It is multi steps and a lot of work. White are hard to keep clean. Go with accessories to make coastal feel.
4 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 9:23AM
Granite Transformations
I like the recommendation of painting the kitchen and connected area an aqua. I think you should consider installing a backsplash. Our Pearl Subway tile would be perfect- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

I also think the coral patterned pillows and area rugs would be a great addition. You can play off the coral and starfish with your decorating and accessories.

Consider replacing the white drapes with something coral themed as well. All of these simple updates seem very cost-friendly.

Good luck!
2 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 10:01AM
momof5x
You don't have to change your cabinets if you don't want too, they are very nice.. just add touches or make minor changes to get the feel or the look of a coastal kitchen.

Coastal ideas from Houzz pages:

Kingwood Township Kitchen & Renovation ( decor ideas)

Profile ( work on the kitchen Island)

Beach House Style

Coastal Living 1
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 10:12AM
EOS Surfaces LLC
What about looking at our brightly colored GEOS Recycled Glass Surfaces? We even have two colors with shells in them!
5 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 8:41AM
barbararothgeb
The recycled glass above would be so gorgeous. From what I could see in the picture it looks like your countertops are a bit dated anyway.
0 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 10:17AM
collettec
I would go with sand colored walls and natural linen drapes as well as natural shades. For accent colors, deep corals and blues and greens.
4 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 12:44PM
Geraldine Lynch
lose those net curtains ..... lighting must go... lighten the cabinets with Annie Sloan paint... and have a good time.
0 Likes   July 7, 2014 at 4:51PM
DEAD THREAD - 6/12/13
1 Like   July 7, 2014 at 6:47PM
How do I make this small eating area look more Coastal?
I purchased this table and set of chairs before realizing...
I LOVE this! How do I do it? ( I live in coastal Oregon and am handy.)
This is so unusual and beautiful. Can you tell me...
How do I make this kitchen look aesthetically pleasing??
Hello, This is a fairly dark room because of little...
How do I make a white kitchen warmer?
I am nearing the end of the kitchen remodel from hell...
How do I make the living room blend with the kitchen?
This is an open concept kitchen/living room. All the...
Need help designing an open kitchen for a self professed slob
I am slowly renovating our prewar apartment that was...
Want to breath life into my living room!!
Hi- we just bought this house, my living room is narrow...
Urgent Please Help : Cream Tile or White Tile
I need to decide shower tile color and countertop color...
Dining room dilemma What do I do?
What is this room missing? Do I keep buffet lamps?...
Accessories and pillows for LR
I need help! We remodeled our house, and I love my...