help with my kitchen and windows
canadianjulz
Not sure what my best option is for curtains amd what else to do in here to make it look better without breaking the bank?
HERE Design and Architecture
Personally, I would start by painting the walls white and get some white shades.
June 9, 2013 at 9:34PM   
I think what is missing is pattern/color in the space. How about curtain panels and coordinating cafe curtains for above the sink? Inspiration photo...

June 9, 2013 at 10:02PM     
canadianjulz
I was thinking white walls too.
June 11, 2013 at 10:42AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Do you need window coverings? If the view is good and you do not feel they are necessary for security, you might want to take them down. Or do Roman shades that can be open at times. I would also do an area rug to add some visual interest. I stay away from the kitchen section though - too many roosters and grapes. I would look at indoor outdoor ones or just a low pile. I use a Hoover steam cleaner to clean mine - it is not washable; but I like the look.

I cannot tell what your countertops are; but granite really upgrades a look! Backsplashes do too - it looks like you do not have one from the picture. Also, if you take out the small cabinet above your stove you can put in a stainless range hood with a chimney that will really ratchet up the wow factor. Cavalier makes one and lots of others.
June 11, 2013 at 10:51AM   
canadianjulz
Yes I need window coverings as we have neighbors right behind us. Our backsplash is plain white so I was thinking of replacing and adding some color that way. The countertops are not granite just basic and dark. I am not sure if I can afford granite right now.
June 11, 2013 at 11:03AM   
Window World of Colorado
I think a very bright colored curtain would liven up the kitchen, You could also look into redoing the floor, it's super easy to do and can change the whole look of your kitchen.
June 11, 2013 at 12:33PM   
wakefielddona
I would do a continuous flat valance across the windows and door mounted at ceiling height to unify the three components. You could select a fabric that coordinates with your existing shades. This way, everything reads as one unit instead of three separate units. Mounting at ceiling height would also make the windows seem larger.
June 12, 2013 at 4:42AM     
0825sam
I agree with painting a lighter color and adding woven shades or roman shades. I would take anything down from above the cabinets.

June 12, 2013 at 5:19AM   
0825sam
Would you consider painting your chairs black? New light fixture.

June 12, 2013 at 5:21AM     
Kitchen Bath Trends
Hello,

I agree with painting the chairs black if you like the idea. Also, painting the trim around the windows black to match the chairs and appliances in the kitchen would help to update the look of the space.

Finding light and airy floor length curtains that are extending to the floor would be beautiful. Burlap curtains is a trending material this year and would work well with the wall color.

Hope this helps,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com
June 12, 2013 at 8:05AM   
Barn Light Electric Company
The layout of your dining room reminds me of one of our favorite blogger's homes--almost to a T! Here's a link: http://decorandthedog.blogspot.com/2012/08/house-tour-kitchen.html
If you're into country cottage chic, her space will inspire you.
June 12, 2013 at 8:07AM     
canadianjulz
Would paiting the wall with the windows through to the kitchen area white be the best idea? Or continue the blue all around? Or leave the color as is and just add the floor length curtains? Can't decide if curtains in white or curtains with color is best?
June 12, 2013 at 9:11AM   
Are you getting new dining? Light is modern yr furn is not. I would get a more updated dining set round dark wood. Leather chairs tall back in Teal. Pier One has them and table. On all windows go roman shades. Chocolate with small teal print. Teal is yrs accent color use it around room. Paint. Taupe, with gray undertones. Try on wall before buying. Paint whole area. Remove black iron from above window no need for anything. It's your windows and paint that is taking away from a pulled together room.
June 18, 2013 at 11:44AM   
If not in budget for new table. Paint it black. Get new chairs as posted. Window covers can be expensive but well worth the. Look they make. Get bids, haggle for best price.
June 18, 2013 at 11:46AM   
Do you have to have shoes in kitchen?
June 18, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Lamp should be lower. 36" from top of table.
June 18, 2013 at 11:48AM   
Judy M
Same table as yours. check out the curtains and wall color, doesn't have to be striped, you can choose similar color.

June 18, 2013 at 11:54AM     
canadianjulz
Unfortunately the design of this house is poor and we have to park in our back alley which it is convenient for us to use the back door as our main door, hence the shoes. Also, for some reason the builder has used both white baseboards/trim and oak colored so I find it challenging having both colors through out the house. My accent wall is a grey/blue color, not sure where teal is coming from. I know I need to do something with curtains but I am still at a standstill about what color that wall needs to be and trim around the windows.
June 18, 2013 at 1:12PM   
grannythedecorator
A plain fabric will make your kitchen look more contemporary....I'll include a pic of our bay window that went from a patterned topper to just an off white topper when we re-did it last year....we love the new look of it....it's plain and simple....oh and the house is also 168 yrs. old....our "new" lighting are simply antique mason jars that I had....I just switched them out with the dated globes....now they are blingy!
June 18, 2013 at 3:25PM     
If walls are a blue gray that is good. I would paint ALL, oak a white. Incl your table and chairs. Change light to a bronze bigger lower. On windows, roman shades in a soft gray. Door too. You can put 2-3" ,moulding to frame it out, in white. Put glass tiles as backsplash. In gray, black, aque or teal.
June 18, 2013 at 7:39PM   
PLC Interiors
I'd paint the walls medium gray which will bring out the gray of the tiles - I'm assuming there is some gray in that pattern - With rich, warm color walls, you can do white wood blinds (2" or 3"). Will really bring the space up to date.
June 18, 2013 at 7:48PM   
Merry McMahon
I think it would make a huge impact if you bring some color into the space with valances for the windows made out of some beautiful fabric.
June 18, 2013 at 8:22PM     
I like kitchen bath ideas.
June 19, 2013 at 11:32AM   
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
the window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
so far i have had custom wooden shutters installed...
I need help for my kitchen serving window
my kitchen window is 5ft by 4ft. I allowed such a big...
Need help with low cottage windows in my kitchen!
We have an old cottage with a gorgeous exposed stone...
Need help changing my kitchen window valances
Looking for ideas. House style is old world/Tuscan....
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
Hardwood flooring
Currently the main has dark hardwood and so does the...
Diagonal wood floors or straight?
I am putting new hardwood floors in my 1750 square...
Where to put microwave?
Originally it will be where in the first pic. Now...