Are china cabinets totally yesterday now?
Robin G
My husband does not like this piece I got from a family member. He did not grow up in houses with lit cabinets displaying china, but I am from the South (he is not), and everyone I know had one. So is this piece really "old-lady" looking? Or is my husband off base? He is not super design savvy and lets me do our homes, but I want to respect his opinion. Give me the truth, please!
ncreature
I would not call the china cabinet 'old lady-ish' or old fashioned even (the chair in the foreground is another story). They serve a purpose and that one could be a very nice focal point in your room, if you could pull it all together. The problem in that room is that none of the elements really play nicely together. The patterns all clash, the colors are sort of on the fringes of working together (I'm really not sure about that rug and it seems maybe a hair too large). Also looks like screen right there is the legs of a hutch or credenza that is of a third style and so the room is just a bit cluttered. I don't think the problem with the room is too old-lady like, so much as it is just needs to be edited and speak with a unified voice. Too many ideas going on.

If you keep the china cabinet then I think the rest of the room should be sympathetic to it. Right now the sort of Greek-Revival-ish (?) ladderback dining set is a clash with the rustic-chic of the cabinet (I can't place an era on it, but it does not work with the dining set and chairs). I think you have to choose whether you want a more formal lacquered look or a more informal rustic look (you can do both but its tricky if you're not used to properly juxtaposing elements). In any event the chandelier is just too modern for anything in that room and the blue chinoiserie urns don't relate to anything (you gotta think in terms of repetition so that things feel designed and deliberate and not like a collection of yard-sale antiques).
11 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:39PM
You have a lot of different styles going on in your room. Ribbon back chairs from the 40's, Duncan Fife table, animal print rug, Chinese blue pottery, paintings, fringe on the chairs.

You need to decide which of those is your favorite.

Were this my room, I would keep the rug and the hutch.
15 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:40PM
HERE Design and Architecture
These days, people hardly have china, so they don't need the cabinets. I like china and I say do what you want. The cabinet seems to suit the space and your things.
9 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:40PM
ReMax - Lisa
Some people say they are going out of style but they do serve as a very functional and pretty place to display and store your glassware and china. If it is a two piece cabinet, you could try just the lower piece on its own with a couple of buffet lamps etc. I think the lines of yours are very nice though and not too fussy so it looks modern enough. You could paint it too to give it a more modern look?
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:42PM
All About Interiors LLC
The hutch isn't your problem... I say keep it but the chinoiserie vases and the rug are not meshing with the rest of the space. There are a lot of elements but not a repeated common ground. I suggest hiring an interior designer for a consultation, they may be able to help pull things together.
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:46PM
Robin G
Thank you for all comments. This isn't my house anymore. We have always had to decorate with whatever hand me downs we were given from family members with very different tastes. I would love a new dining room table!!
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 6:53PM
vjs12
I would replace all the accessories and keep the furniture. I think the furniture would work with the right accessories and neutral paint on the walls. BTW I like the furniture and I like that chair.
6 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 7:00PM
Nancy Walton
I love your dining room table! Good furniture never goes out of style, in my book. I have a Duncan Phyfe coffee table I picked up at a consignment store for $150--on the bottom it's stamped MADE IN USA. Not too many accent/occasional tables for that price are still made here.
17 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 7:13PM
LB Interiors
What's wrong with yard sale antiques?
6 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 7:48PM
LB Interiors
What's wrong with chinoiserie vases, Duncan Phyfe style, fringe pillows?
9 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:30PM
LB Interiors
It requires a way to make it work if there is a need to update.
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:31PM
ncreature
@LB Interiors: nothing is wrong with any of those things. I wasn't trying to say that. I was trying to say that although all of those elements are interesting individually they do not, to me at least, work together well as a cohesive whole in this space that's all. I actually am a fan of Phyfe and I like the china cabinet (and I think there's much gold in yard sale antiques). Its just that some work needs to be done to pull all those things together that's all sorry if I came off as offensive.
9 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:35PM
LB Interiors
Your husband is right that there is a definate trend to remove the china hutch top and use the base as a buffet. It all depends how you feel about it. If you are looking to update with what you have: paint the walls to freshen in a color that you're gravitating to. Add a few transitional fabrics and colors. Maybe paint some of the furniture. Add accessories that you like and could already have.
4 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:35PM
LB Interiors
@ ncreature.I wasn't offended, just asking what's wrong with them. Sorry, if I offended you! It was meant to no one in particular and was a general statement ending in a question mark. I assume we have to be careful how we state our comments :))
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 8:38PM
LB Interiors
You can keep the hutch if you both decide you want it and decorate with it. It's in the choices made that can be added to the room to achieve the goal you want.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 8:42PM
HERE Design and Architecture
I'm with LB - the one thing I am not loving in that room, which I gather you do not own, is the leopard print rug.:)
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 9:04PM
LB Interiors
I'm liking the rug and felt that it was a good place to start an update. :)
6 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 9:06PM
JWinteriors
Remove all furniture out of this room with the exception to the hutch. Turn the rug to go the long way with the room. Place your table the long way on the rug. Place your chairs. I would suggest 2 upholstered parsons chairs at the ends of the table. Relocate extra chairs elsewhere in the house. Place blue urns on table with a white hydrangea floral between them. You may use the square fabric on the table, but bunch it up instead of spreading it out.change chandelier to one with crystals. You need period bling in this room. I would use a larger medallion for architectural interest on the ceiling. Do not put any side pieces in this room. You need the uncluttered feel to make this work. Change out the left picture with a set of gilded framed oils in rich colors.
18 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 9:24PM
Tres McKinney Design
First of all I would like to say that the South has it all over the rest of the country for great design and creating welcoming spaces people want to gather in. Some of the best examples of mixing old with new and creating exciting vibrant interiors is by Southern designers and homeowners. The wall color of your dining room is warm and unpredictable. You could enhance the wall color by painting the ceiling more of a cream color and keep the off white trim. The challenge I see is that the chair fabric looks weak next to the area rug. I would recover the seats in a bold taupe and off white stripe which would give the chairs a more crisp updated look and compliment the more contemporary animal print rug. Then I think the blue and white ginger jars would work. I would incorporate more blue and white china into the china cabinet to make more of a statement. Add another element between the two ginger jars if you leave them atop the china cabinet such as a plate in a plate stand or beautiful bowl. Alternatively put the two ginger jars on the dinng table when the table is not in use with a bowel of fruit between. If you have a buffet or side table in the room place a pair of large blue and white lamps at each end to add to the blue and white porcelain scheme. China cabnets don't need to always house china. You could store books, collecions or a mix of objects instead of china.
14 Likes   Thanked by Robin G    June 9, 2013 at 9:27PM
andyco98
I like buffets, but if you love it, change the peach wall color to something more neutral.
7 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 9:33PM
Sandy
I think you should keep the cabinet. If you like the rug, find a nice and earthy pale neutral to coordinate with it for your wall color. Am I seeing a greenish tone in the rug? Lose the jars I think. Next choose a fun fabric to reupholster the chairs. Dining chairs are an easy DIY and don't take a ton of fabric so you can often find remnants on sale at the stores. Try something bright and cheery and on trend or use your china as an inspiration. Then pull a great color out of the fabric and paint the interior back of the cabinet. Presto you are coordinated and updated!
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 9:38PM
cathylenny
So simple, just paint your walls a warm mocha, remove the blue vases, and replace your light fixture with
something a little more classic. See how you like it for awhile and then plan for a different rug, possibly a tapestry with colors to bring out your orange furniture.
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 10:03PM
hparks74
I'm actually looking for a nice hutch for my bath. It has to be just perfect. I want it for bath towels not tea pots. :)
3 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 11:04PM
nwduck
Some easy fixes, I think, to make the room feel more contemporary with the wonderful hutch, table and chairs: Remove the blue urns (really, that's the first thing I noticed in the picture). Replace the art with more modern pieces reflecting your color scheme. Take the cover off the table, and center a large low white bowl/vessel with objects in colors/textures you like. Turn the two "extra" chairs at an angle instead of flush against the wall.
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 11:35PM
Sue Potter
Ok, Change wall color , its getting lost with the wood...By changing to Colbalt Blue Benjamin Moore, Silver or pale yellow. The wood should POP, add a Rug either a colbalt Blue white contemporary design or a Oriental with BLUES, and yellows/shiny silver. OR "Bold Zebra black and white rug BIG" under table, Change Fabric on the chair cushions animal or blue small prints or silver stripe. Add Some Colbalt pieces and Plates on the china cabinet. OR Paint China Cabinet crisp White & chairs if you want too High gloss Pure white.,( if you want too) Silver can be incorporated with Candle Sticks in Chrome or any Type of Silver antique pieces,Leave the LARGE chandelier ( lower it a little if you can), Remove Paintings and add Large Octogon or a design prefer NOT square, Mirrors in Silver on either side.(look i resale shop or craigslist) Or something with More color.. PURE white (silk)Drapes that Puddle on the Floor, (Pull back with Silver ropes), Possibly a Thick Blue border on Edge of drape.....Keep chinoiserie vases and add More pieces and Solid Colbalt , and Sterling Silver Pieces. For Table a LARGE Colbalt Vase TALL with Huge white Flowers,Yellow, and greenery hangin ivy...And a Plant on top of hutch hanging plant like wondering Jew or some type of flowing, hanging plant..(silk) Simple but Gorgeoust!!
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:15AM
HERE Design and Architecture
I don't get it at all - this seems like a nice room to me! :)
6 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:18AM
ralamantia
Lose the Ming look jars.
4 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:21AM
jcwyman
What about painting your dining room table and chairs, along with reupholstering the chairs? That would tie in with your china cabinet - which I think is awesome! If you could figure out a way to mimic the painting technique of the china cabinet I think it would make a HUGE difference.
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:36AM
leelee
I like the Ming jars. China cabinets are passe, yes. Can you remove the top portion and just keep the base?
Then add jars back and add a big mirror and remove art on each side. I like the way you've mixed the rug with the mings. Consider recovering the chair seats. Zebra pattern (if you could find the right one) could be interesting.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:36AM
bailmur
If you have different styles of furniture in a room you want to pull together, refinish or paint pieces to fit your style
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 6:48AM
diyher
a bit off topic, but is that a Christopher Willet painting on the right? :)
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 7:03AM
Mark
I don't mind china cabinets, but I prefer to have just a buffet in the dining room. I think a well accessorised buffet with a beautiful mirror or artwork etc. above a buffet adds so much more visual appeal to a room. It's all a matter of personal preference.
4 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 7:35AM
bailmur
This is a little off the subject but to diyher - the painting in my photo is one of my moms. Back to the subject, you could take the top piece off (if possible) and use it as a nice buffet.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 8:40AM
Genevieve
Actually china cabinets never go out of style ,in time the design changes but the use and need for them is always there. Yours is a very nice one the only thing that i would do in the room is to add some intersting wallpaper in order to give this jewel support .

something like this one

Tea House Meridian Wallpaper, Blue
Alameda Royal Blue | Shop Ten 25
Paint Color SW6522 Sporty Blue - Sherwin-Williams

you already have the base

Blue & White Swallowtail Temple Ginger Jar
4 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 8:48AM
msmliss
Is that really an animal print rug? I thought I, too, saw green and imagined it to be a leaf pattern, which I love with the green in your hutch, which I also like. However, I get a strong sense that you lean toward the classical and timeless European mahogany and cherry Provenscal style/s. If so, and you don't want a change then I fear the hutch is "the problem," but replacing it with one that compliments your dining set won't please your husband anymore than the current one does, however, as hutches do serve a utilitarian purpose, and as you enjoy entertaining using your fine china, I'd have a hutch. I think you could easily pull your room together, if you replace this hutch, reupholster your dining cushions with a few blues to tie in your porcelain jars and the blues in your paintings, and bring your jars down to another surface it will be fine. In addition, I'd consider lowering the chandelier a bit more (is it centered?), and changing the shades. Conversely! LOL! If you're ready for something completely different, keep the hutch, update the dining set to suit the hutch, change the frames around your paintings, and the chandelier shades, use lots of green hues as accents colors, then stand back and decide if the jars should stay! If so, and either way really, add a 3rd blue and white porcelain piece, it doesn't have to be a jar. Looking forward to what you decide! : )
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 9:49AM
Robin G
Wow, I am really getting some great ideas! Thanks. I feel the color must be off in the photo for all of the blue suggestions. Those ginger jars can go anywhere. There is no other blue in the room. The hutch has greens in it, and the rug is a good wool leopard pattern with no green. The walls are Myrtle Beach by Benjamin Moore, a complex terracotta. In my new house, I have a bigger dining room and will put a more traditional oriental in the dining room and the leopard rug is going in the tv room.
6 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:33AM
Robin G
And I will spend the money on real window treatments in the next house so don't bother dissing my tiny silk panels found in the bargain bin at the Horchow outlet. : )
3 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:34AM
HERE Design and Architecture
I think the blue is good in relation to the terra cotta. They are opposites, which is nice - helps give the place a little spark. FWIW, I think your table is beautiful.
7 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:38AM
msmliss
I agree with HERE, blue is paired with orange on the color wheel. It's the green coming across on the screen, and the green in the hutch that was causing the conflict for me. Easy one, replace the hutch!
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:56AM
Then, Robin, keep the hutch and paint the walls where ever color in that green wash accenting it. Pain the ribbon backs the same color as your woodwork. Change the upholstery and get a new table.
Katie Rosenfeld Interiors
Pods Fabric by Victoria Larson Textiles
Majestic Green Rug
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 11:35AM
LB Interiors
@ RobinH, Can you clarify for us? The dilemma was about hutch or no hutch. The pic posted is NOT the room that the furniture will be going? The furniture will move to a NEW HOUSE? It's only a question about the hutch? correct? You will have a new dining room in a new house? Thanks

Love what you did in the old house, terra coitta etc. Beautiful job!
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 11:57AM
lilyred
Keep your hutch! You need it to display your lovely glass and china, family heirlooms, and collected pieces.

Keep your jars--try moving both to one side. The room feels a tad too symmetrical as is. I also liked trying them on the tabletop, as suggested in an earlier post.

Keep your paint! Keep your furniture--it's nice stuff! What the room lacks is either an item that "pops," or the recurrent use of a single color/pattern to move the eye through the landscape of the room. There are tons of good ideas among the previous comments to get you there.

The only item I question is the rug, and I'm guessing it's a big expense item to replace. Solving the other issues may make its importance in your plan fade (no old rug pun intended).

Good luck!
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:07PM
Love the way everyone jumped in on this, but Robin forgot to say up front that this isn't her house now. Seems like much ado about nothing. Let's all chime in again when she gets to the new house, if she's willing to hear some of the same things again!
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:17PM
leelee
She didn't ask for advise on decorating just wondered if china cabinets were "in" or "out". It would've been nice to know if this was her home but it wasn't really her question.
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:34PM
Hi Robin...I think some hutches do look "old ladyish" but it depends on the piece. I think your hutch looks classic and if the accessories, etc in the room complement it will look great. I love the animal print rug. :)
4 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:38PM
PS.. IMHO..when hutches are squeezed into a room that is really too small to accommodate a large piece to me makes it feel a bit "grannyish". IDk why. :)
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 12:40PM
LB Interiors
I love the animal rug and I feel it can definately stay in the new dining room. It will update and freshen your new choices with your existing furnishings or not. You can accessorize and paint with some fresh new colorways.

A thought, In the family room, that most likely will be used the most, you may want to opt for a rug that has more contrast and excitement with stronger colors. It would help camouflage soil.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:42PM
anne dee
I've seen this quite often where people forget to mention that this is not the actual space. Check out all the posts where Houzzers took time and consideration into their comments. Kinda like being trolled.
oops edit with smiley face :)
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:42PM
China cabinets like big cherry wood ones are so old lady. But the one you are showing is not so old lady. I like it with your style furn. It works. I don't like the small art on either side. I would add large tall candle scones, maybe with some crystal. On each side.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:54PM
Remove blue vases on top put on dining table instead . Get new chandelier, yours to small. need black and silver crystals 24" round. Hang 36" from table top. I would also go new area rug same size but, more plush with black, creams, some greens and yellows just a little.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:58PM
What's on windows? What's on other wall? More pics.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:59PM
Or just read comment. So this is not your room? Or you are moving? You need to say that in opening comments. People don't have time to read every comment. Most designer, just look at comment and room and start making suggestions. But a total waste of time. If this won't be your room.
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 1:03PM
Kitchen Bath Trends
It's not that China Cabinets are "old lady" but just like other pieces of furniture, over time the look may transform to become more modern. As many other people have suggested you can remove the top to make a buffet table style cabinet. Or you can also repaint or change the finish to make the china cabinet appear to be more modern and contemporary in style.
The picture I attached is a bold example, but it demonstrates how this homeowner was able to transform a china cabinet into a one of a kind focal point for the dining area and bring life into the space!

Hope this helps,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 1:12PM
I agree, anne dee. Hate it when Houzzers spend hours helping with a space only to find out it is an MLS and not the furniture belonging to the DD poster.
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
lilyred
People with lots of storage can say take away part of your hutch. People in old houses, like mine....every inch of storage/display....precious! :) Great discussion--love the ideas and photos.
3 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 2:49PM
LB Interiors
A note: this is NOT THE ROOM that 'RobinH will be using. She is asking about the 'HUTCH ONLY' :))
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 3:44PM
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
China Cabinets are neither old lady or passe'. They are classic. Period. THIS china cabinet is clean lined and transitional, lacking the carved detailing, veneering and mullions of the more common European styles of the 18th century which is when they came into vogue. It looks 19th century to me. Robin, I think you are wise to be replacing rug with a more conventional/classic oriental, which will address what is to my eye, the bigger problem here. You have wood finishes that are not very compatible and if you choose an oriental that has a range of reds and golds, this will help close that gap. It is also worth mentioning that the table and chairs are visually much more delicate than the china, which is visually heavier. I wouldn't do anything until you have found your rug. I also do not understand the repeated recommendations to add more of the blue in the temple jars. I do love your leopard rug, but do not see it in this mix and I am glad you are using it in your family room in the new space. It's a cool rug. If you like this china cabinet, perhaps it can be used in another space in the new home as a display cabinet. Please revisit with us when you get into the new space and have found your new rug. Good Luck.
5 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 5:52PM
risris
I love the cabinet! Here's the deal. Don't worry if a specific thing is passe or not. If you like it or it holds meaning for you, just keep it and style it for your space in such a way that it fits with your whole aesthetic.

I'm from the South too, but I've inherited the china and not the cabinet! I'm actually looking for a hutch now to display mine. I'm in my 20's, and I couldn't care less if the rest of the country thinks my decor choices are old-ladyish.
9 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:26PM
Robin G
This was my first post on Houzz, so I am sorry about the confusion. This WAS my house and I am bringing all these pieces with me to my new house, so all of everyone's insight was worth it, but yes, this post was whether or not the hutch would get placed in the dining room again or in another room. The rug I am using in the dining room is seen in the adjoining room in the subsequent pics. I have found value by thinking of less furniture in my new, bigger, dining room to make it feel even bigger. Thank you all. I will post pics of the new room after the furniture has arrived.
6 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:26PM
risris
I just reread your question. I don't care what everyone else thinks, but if my husband doesn't like something, ultimately it would go. But if I liked it a lot I'd put up a fight ;)
2 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:30PM
LB Interiors
My sentiments too, for your first comment, 'risris'
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 6:41PM
One of the important design elements to have in any room is height. A room is not at its best if all the pieces are only 3' high. So I say bravo for your china cabinet. I prefer the antique ones and the very modern ones, and some of the ones in between. I like yours and see a future for it. I would not remove the hutch top to use only the buffet. We have an antique English pine sideboard in our dining room, and we also have oodles of china.
5 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:46PM
aimran
The room looks fine to me and china cabinet too. You could paint it turquoise, that'll be great with your coral walls. Remove the table cloth.. That's old style.. Use a runner if you must. Place the blue pottery at eye level of lower. That is way too high..
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 6:56PM
Keitha
Think beyond the dining room!!! If it doesn't fit well into your new dining space what about the living room, bedroom..... It's a great piece with many possibilities!
1 Like   June 10, 2013 at 10:01PM
tampurnell
In my opinion, the hutch is old fashioned. Dining rooms are for celebrating and not for storage. However, I would keep it as a display for book and artwork in a study.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 10:14PM
traditionalguy467
Hi Robin,

I personally think you have some classic, beautiful pieces, that undoubtedly will go with you to your new home. The trend now, seems to be to paint everything white, red, turquoise, black, and everything in between. I personally am extremely tired of the industry telling me what I should have in my home. The generic guide to decorating, is the approach to design now. My kitchen has to have granite counters, and stainless steel appliances, or it needs a total redo. All brick should be painted white. All shutters removed! Does anyone remember Southwest design, and vertical blinds, they told me I needed those as well. I'll see the current trend and tastes in furniture and design, as well as the Southwest pieces at my local estate, flea and garage sale haunts in five years. I'll be the guy that picks up your quality mahogany, cherry, and every other fine wood piece that you sold, and or gave away to charitable organizations. These are classic pieces! If there outdated to you, okay. Tastes differ. Has anyone ever thought of changing fabrics, paint, or updating lighting in traditional design? I'm sorry, but this posting bothers me. I think that it is an unfortunate time in design right now. Everyone's home is beginning to look the same. Remember uniqueness? Remember when tile counters were in, and people actually picked tile and colors, based on their individual preferences? It's really quite boring, when design, whether interior, or exterior, has a universal theme. Very few people recognize quality pieces of furniture these days. Young people furnishing their homes these days, (risris exempt) enter with the idea of purchasing something cheap,(yes I fully understand funds are limited), and throwing it out in five years, and buying another cheap set of some type of furniture for replacement. These young people don't know, or care that they are not purchasing quality pieces, that will stand the test of time. They don't understand the concept of eight-way hand tied springs, or quality hardwood frames, after all they will be getting rid of it in a few years. Learn the names of quality pieces like Drexel, Harden, White of Mebane, Henredon, Thomasville, Pennsylvania House, older Ethan Allen pieces, Nichols and Stone, and Tell City. I'm taking a disclaimer on exact spellings! These quality manufacturers do make contemporary, modern pieces as well. Robin, to answer your question, no your china cabinet does not look old-lady. It almost appears to have an antiqued look to it. If only it were painted white, red, turquoise, black, or something else, it would be in style, lol! Would I make all the choices you have made in the decorating of the room, no, that is why it is so refreshing to see the way you have done it. Your unique style, and individual taste, is what I should feel when I walk through your front door. Your home looks welcoming, and a home that is actually lived in! The very best to you in your new home.
30 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 2:48AM
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
traditionalguy, I hope that one day you learn to express yourself and share your true feelings. ;-) In all seriousness, you make some very good points, the truest of which is that our homes should express our taste, not whatever trends dictate. This is always my goal when collaborating with clients.
15 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 6:16AM
Cindy Quinton
I just don't understand the difficulty with reading a thread; especially if one were to spend "hours helping with a space" and not bother to at least read the comments of the OP.
2 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 6:53AM
LB Interiors
Well said 'Daniel'
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 12:30PM
LB Interiors
TRADITIONALGUY ... OMG - THANK YOU for that!! I said many of those things in a post a very long time ago. You took my words and added so much more that I didn't post .SO TRUE. I'm tired of big business money and others dictating what is right and wrong!

Trend, industry dictating, homes with same designs and materials. Where is the classic, quality, uniqueness in design? I believe many posters have felt that they may not comfortably be able or dare to post what their true tastes are for fear of being ridiculed by all the commenters!!
11 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 12:42PM
andrewdesigninc
I agree, well said traditionalguy and Daniel!
3 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 12:51PM
Linda keys
You have lots of good idea's here, now for another consideration, I like the hutch paint it with ann slones chalk paint remove the top doors and have open shelving,date it with a wax, wall paper that wall with a colored print you love, recover the chairs to match in a solid, i think the rug might keep depending on your choises, remove the paintings. maybe a shadow box, or single painting you love. add a tree plant where one of the chairs are now.remove the vaces, add one low florl center peice. remember these are all just idea's, its your house pick and chose and have fun!
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 1:04PM
Coastal Home Design Studio
I like the hutch and would recommend swapping out the carpet and removing the vases at the top!
2 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 1:11PM
LB Interiors
Out of the loop here. I guess commenters are not reading the info. Not reading the thread, makes the poster have to keep clarifying the info previously posted. Too bad it's unnecessary and extends the thread to neverland.
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 1:30PM
Egoist Design
China cabinets are so in and I love them! The idea is to balance is off with the more contemporary pieces. I would replace the chairs, change wall color (to make the cabinet stand out) and update the area rug. I absolutely adore your china cabinet. You just need a little work with the rest of the room to make it a center piece. I would!
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 1:34PM
LB Interiors
Commenters are still Out of the Loop.
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 1:41PM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
As I read these comments I was appalled by the fact that the original question was not even addressed in some and many suggestions were made to make this room look like a "stepford room" i.e. like every other room. Why does this person need to remove everything from her room and start over? Why do all rooms need to be painted Gray? Why does everything have to be neutral? Why is it in bad traste to express ones ideas if neutral and gray and bland are not part of your taste palate. Rooms that look timeless or that are put together over time really look the best as in this room. Rooms dont always have to match or look like they were dropped out of a decorator heaven show room. While there are many shows on HGTV that teach us things, I think that overall it has dumbed down interior design with shows that make over a room over night or for $1000.00. Neurtal colors are good if you like them or you are going to sell a house because the industry feels it is easier to sell a home that has no personality. What a shame!
The room in this post is wonderful with real artwork rather than the reproduced digital ones often pushed on this site. How wonderful to have family pieces that havve stood the test of time. The chair fabric and walls go great together and the case piece which I think is a secretary bookcase rather than a china cabinet looks great in the room. The blue vases are a perfect accent with the coral color of the walls and I would add more of it. The rug shows some individuality. If there is any thing I dont like is the chandelier really does look out of place.
At the end of the day this room looks like old money and that does not mean old lady. it is ok to be traditional!! By the way I do like midcentury and very modern things as well when they are in correct proportion and style.
LPMenache
Masion Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
10 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 2:28PM
It turns out she is moving. So it's all moot. But her question was, are china cabinets out. As a designer I' m quick to want to fix a room. A old habit hard to break. But I did tell her I liked her china. Not the cherry wood giant things you still see today. Sorry should had just answered the question, and let the room go...
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 2:32PM
diyher
nwduck replace the artwork to something more modern? why does everything have to be modern. It seems some people are trying to get rid of things that are classic.
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 6:06PM
diyher
traditionalguy467... wow, I am so glad you said what was on your mind. Because I've been wanting to say that exact thing for the past few months after reading so many comments on many posts. I cringe when I go to the paint store and the woman next to me is buying gray to paint her walls. Most likely the ONLY reason why she is probably choosing gray, is because someone told her it was the "in color" I NEVER go with in colors, I DONT want to be like everyone else. I want to choose the color that makes me feel soothing, cheery and goes with the natural light I may have in that room.

The other thing you mentioned about cheap furniture. I recently found out the company I bought my dining room table and chairs back in 1995, Richardson Brothers, had gone out of business a couple years ago. The main reason was no one wanted to spend a lot of money on well made furniture that lasts. I think in 1995. spent close to $3,000 on a 112" 4 leaf geared 2 pedestal table, 6 chairs and 2 arm chairs done in the stain color I chose, and the seating covers made to order. It's in the same solid working order today as it was in 1995. Now you spend $1,000 for a couch, and the darn thing doesn't last past 4 years. I come here for suggestions, ideas and pick and choose what I like and don't feel I have to do something just because there is a higher percentage that says I should go with one thing over another if it's not my taste :)
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 6:28PM
nwduck
Please don't get me wrong, I think the furniture, the art and the room are lovely. I was reacting mainly to the OP's stated husband's concern about the hutch being "old lady". Many times people do react to classic traditional pieces and decor in that way. My suggestions were only meant to perhaps bring something more contemporary into the setting with the hutch (old home or new), and hopefully increase his appreciation for the fine pieces they have. It's somewhat like finding a vintage designer dress, but using more of today's accessories to set it off in a new way. Like the OP, I too have a husband who lets me purchase and decorate as I choose. On those rare occasions when he does voice an opinion, I try to accommodate. It is, after all, his house as well as mine. Again, apologies for not quite explaining as well as I would have wished.
0 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 6:37PM
aimran
Btw Robin H, your chairs have an interesting design. old but not too traditional a style.
0 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 9:51PM
traditionalguy467
Thank you for all the comments fellow Houzzers, I appreciate them! Particular thank you to Daniel Dionne Designs, LB Interiors, andrewdesigninc, and diyher. Interesting history on your dining room table diyher, definitely will do some research on Richardson Brothers. This Southern Californian is out for the night! Good evening Houzzers!
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 11:57PM
LB Interiors
I'm in So Cal too, Guess I should do the same :)
0 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 12:24AM
pearlmelba
pearlmelba
I looked on Houzz
To see what I could do!!!
Just some of the things that get asked
Should I paint my ceiling bright red,or lavender blue
The knobs on my kitchen cabinets don't match
What is this girl to do (or boy as I am not sexist )
Should I buy this chair
That lamp looks nice where oh where
Dilemmas.............
comments sometimes seem so unfair
I only asked what colour Curtains
You've Redesigned my whole house!!!!!
Don't move that I said.Move this !!!!
Oh heck I am so worn out
This dilemma lark keeps you fit
Post a picture!!!!Your nearly done
Is my room looking better. oh my god what have you done
To many people commenting do this no do that
This dilemma has gone on tooooooooo long
It's been a year since I last posted someone just left a comment
How is your room doing where have you gone you never posted a pic
Oh no this wallpaper makes me feel sick
Will DH like it .......
The designer told me to do it I said.I think his name was Fred !!!!!
(Or France's well I did say I am not sexist )
Room looks good.so it flipping should
To follow a dilemma through till the very end
SPOFFY that fireplace seemed just like a friend
You want to stick with him till the bitter end
To see his fate comments come thick and fast
People ask. .....Have you had your fix today
I shout YES I have been on Houzz nearly all day
So housework will have to wait I want to see SPOFFY'S fate
Should I be in therapy or locked away. Better ask my doctor to see what he has to say. They wanted to put me in a padded cell I said
I do hope it's not going to be the colour grey as I so love the colour Red

I sometimes pop up in the wrong dilemma
But red faced I am soon shown the right way
I type in wallpaper and up come 10,0000 more!!!!!
Who would have thought it
A little,No oh so big community.
How they fit inside my iPad
I will never know
Telling us what's best to do.well that's what i have been told designers do
Oh
No they nearly brought it.would have been that elephant
In their room.I told them not to do it
Would they listen
No they wouldn't listen.I am the joker in the pack
If I was being paid. I would have had the sack
I will never get on the top ten comments list

We should have done a poll on that
I got brave or scared and posted From this to that
Here I sat waiting to see the comments
No one really liked it

For us all to like the same that would never do
Think outside the designers box funky,fab,more to life then grey
Or drab
If your room makes you happy that's just what I say
My silly verse is near its end
Just one last thing I must do
Is thank you Houzz
And them that attend
So carry on doing what you do
Inspire help.call it what you will
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Well that was my mad verse hope you liked it

...... Hozz can be so helpful/funny at the same time !!!
With out knowing lol
This post was just that.So I just had to post my silly verse
AGAIN
Which I put on another post. A while ago......sorry its a little long
But people bravely post a pic and ask a
Question ????? Maybe not giving the whole picture.But the question
Was only asking about china cabinets after all
By which time their whole room has been reorganised
Yes people/designers have taken time to think and post
What they feel the OP should do in the hope that they are being helpful
To them

Just made me smile that's all so thanks Hozz !!!
BTW.......... China cabinets are in my eyes still fab i actually have one. I am by no means a designer @traditionalguy467..... Well said!!!!!!!!

Just post my thoughts be they silly funny I even have thumbs up for some comments
@ Robin H ....Good luck in your new home
Let us know who wins the china cabinet
Fight
But if you love it
Convince your DH to like it also
Good luck with that one
6 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 1:34AM
babbom
That was the best poem I've ever read! Thank you! It really reflects the fun we get from the Houzz community.
2 Likes   June 12, 2013 at 3:50PM
pearlmelba
@babbom..... Many thanks...... I always carry a pen and pad around with me
I enjoy doing them
I did this one in about 2mins
They just pop into my head
And I write them down
So glad you enjoyed it
And yes I think it's so Hozz.....
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 11:06AM
bevballew
Fascinating thread and great suggestions. Need to read all posts.
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 11:13AM
Rachel Ranosa
What your china cabinet needs is space and the right balance. Take everything out of your china cabinet to gain perspective on the design. When putting everything back in, keep symmetry in mind. Since you have plenty of big china, you can place the smaller and lighter objects on the top shelf then place the bigger ones lower. This will put all the visual weight at the bottom, making it easier on the eyes.

Keep everything light. Don't stuff your china cabinet with everything in your collection. Leave enough space in between china to give your collection some breathing room.
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 8:58PM
Nancy Walton
Robin, have you moved yet?
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 10:29PM
Robin G
I have moved, and the piece is in the living room where I am filling it more with antique books, though I have two sets of china still stored in the bottom. It isn't the type of piece you can split at the hutch.I kept my dining room much emptier, only my table with two leaves in it, a buffet with two tall buffet lamps. I hate to post photos until the rooms are painted and windows are dressed. Thank you all for your advice. It reminded me of a few key things: design that is timeless, and not trendy, will always be eclectic, and I always want to stuff too much furniture into a room : )
5 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 8:11PM
Sue Potter
I don't know really, I have a china cabinet and I recently saw it used on a TV show when they redid a new house, they had my set. I need the storge as I collect dinnerware/china. I also have two side cabinets that match in my dining room w/ table 6 chairs. In my living room but the entrance I have a Antique Hutch "pine from 1800's" in nearly mint condition a family piece and I must hold onto it and love it , the table & chairs are being stored. I used my formal set for dishes, and formal wear and the Pine hutch for crystal and candles, and my collection of bird houses and its in my living room. So far I enjoy it where it is.. IF I had known I wouldn't have purchased the formal set., Oh well, to late!! Now I need a bigger home :-)
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 9:37PM
7768
Looks pretty good to me, I like eclectic. I would move the two blue ginger jars to your dining room table and leave the top of the hutch empty. The chandelier doesn't really go with the period of the dining set, so would eventually change to more traditional one.
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 9:28AM
Sherman & Gosweiler Inc.,
This is a simple one: If you like the unit and your husband is not going to bug you to death about it if you decide to keep it, KEEP IT!! I've been building custom cabinets for 38 years and the "fashions" come and go, what counts is what makes YOU happy.
4 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 12:16PM
diyher
exactly, heck with the fashions :)) they come and go quicker than you can save up money for the next purchase lol
2 Likes   August 21, 2013 at 2:21PM
newlifewoman
I have just acquired a vintage never used china set that I plan on using but needed a hutch to store them. China cabinets are useful for those of us with china. Just use the china even if it is just the tea set for friends along with some nice refreshments.
I do agree that the table and hutch are 2 diff. Styles. Love the duncan phyfe. Maybe move the blue chinese pottery to another place in the house . They are 2 pretty not to display but do clash with the walls and the hutch color. I love the idea that someone mentioned earlier about moving your dining table sideways.
BTW I just acquired a Lexington Solid cherry breakfront china cabinet this afternoon. It is a solid piece of furniture that doesn' t need to be refiinished and will last. I admit it is a bit dated but the design of the china cabinet will go with what I have planned for tne room. I just need to rethink my plans for the new wall color to make sure it complements the cherry wood.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 12:31PM
newlifewoman
I also agree with updating the chandelier whenevermyou can. You need something nicer in there. Your present one is too sterile looking for a dining room.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 12:34PM
dkvhaus
I like your hutch. I wish that I had one. (IMO blue and white jars restrict a color palette.)

Personally, I detest animal print rugs. I'm not an activist; I just think they scream, "Twinkie to the main stage!"

On the other hand, if "colonial eclectic" is your thing- do it!!
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 4:46PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Robin H. Good luck with your new place. You have some lovely pieces. I actually don't think this is a china hutch but it is a great piece, good looking and very functional too. I think it would look lovely in a living room.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:10PM
newlifewoman
Just realized you moved. Your furniture is timeless and will go well no matter what house you are in.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:52PM
cliffordhome
I posted something similar not long ago as I have a lot of china and need the storage space... I also posted something earlier this evening asking for input on painting my china cabinet or not. I've been struggling with the same thoughts- are china cabs outdated? I like your china cabinet and think the room looks very nice (although I agree on not having the blue urns on top of it in your new room). I agree with most of the last responses- the furniture is classic and there's no need to go with the trends.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 6:16PM
Chad
Has anyone noticed the chandelier that is plain and modern? I think it makes the china cabinet look worse. Just pick a theme!
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 7:12PM
papoodles
I love being in a home where the furniture has a sense of history about it..as yours certainly does! Prefer it above all others.
Also love your sofa- reminds me of a George Smith piece?
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 7:22PM
chookchook2
Modern look could lacquer the chairs in the deepest blue from the Chinese jars. Can always repaint white when colour trend fades. Go to Pantone 2014 colour family for ideas. I would favour blue and white silk curtains and a Chandelier with clean lines. LB Interiors pics are good, esp patterned curtains. We had very similar/same rug to Alameda Royal Blue. My boy tipped a whole carton of soy milk onto it and we couldn't get all the stain out. Pattern all over would be better for dining room to hide stains. China cabinet good , do up the backboard to resemble a swish jeweller cabinet. Lacquer any inexpensive ornament to match chairs, if using books, make covers in that exact colour, with lettering. Since from the South, look at the hanging lamps made of tea cups and saucers, could use a group of asst blue and white at diff heights. Others will know the other hanging lights repurposed from cut lead crystal decanters, isn't the south famous for good spirits? Again hang in group of varying heights. Have sparkling silver and crystal on the table. The modern trend is repurposing, with a twist, and coordination.. Move out the traditional framed paintings or paint frames to match blue chairs. Half my picture frames are aqua blue at present! Easy to repaint later. Have you a painting or print of a gracious southern lady? Have fun.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 8:19PM
In Style Modern
Not at all, especially when styled well. It makes for a great beach house feel
2 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 6:27AM
mcvic3
Keep it, it's beautiful!
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 6:20AM
chookchook2
Hey, what did you end up doing, gracious southern lady?
1 Like   November 21, 2013 at 6:47AM
PirateFoxy
I don't actually care if a china cabinet is out of fashion or not - I need some kind of storage space for things, and if some of the things I have are pretty then I want to see them more often than just when they're in use! Though I find the display cabinet part awkward for dishes that are actually being used - you have to be careful about how you place things so it looks nice, and that can be quite fiddly if you're dealing with multiple place settings. So I tend to keep pieces like vases and particularly pretty serving bowls or platters in the display area - stuff where I'm only likely to take out a few pieces at a time so the cabinet doesn't look empty and I don't have to 're-stage' it every time I use anything.

(This also means that the china that gets used can go somewhere closer to where it gets washed for easier use and storage.)

I do try to keep a couple of pieces from my china pattern in the cabinet, so it all ties together when the table is set, but like I said I find if I use serving pieces and other accessories in the display, I rarely use all of them for a meal. (I might want the platter but not the serving bowls, or the teapot and creamer and sugar but not the platter, etc.)
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 11:28AM
Robin G
I did not put this piece in the new dining room. As someone else mentioned, it may actually be more of a hutch secretary. I have it in the living room with some china below and antique books and other things above, so everybody is happy.
5 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 3:50PM
Judiwithani
Glad you're keeping the hutch. My family has manufactured and worked in furniture for 40 years and I think I know a fine piece of furniture when I see. It's not out of style, it's a classic. I certainly would treasure it if it were mine.
To Traditionalguy. Well said. May I add one more name, Pearson, to that prestiged group of furniture lines.
3 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 4:12PM
Jean Worthy
@ Robin H, pictures please!
2 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 4:46PM
brickln
So glad you found a use for that wonderful piece. I love to see hutches used in non-traditional ways. Please do post a pic!
3 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 5:09PM
halfpint2
I love that hutch, so glad you kept it!!
2 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 5:22PM
Robin G
I will absolutely post pics but not before paint, sconces, and window treatments are done.
1 Like   December 3, 2013 at 1:21PM
Kathy Tobacco
I LOVE your room and your taste. In my opinion china cabinets are old fashioned but you make it work because your piece is painted and unexpected. I think the suites of matching furniture are the ones that really look dated. Please ignore all the stupid advice by amateur decorators who are telling you what "your problem" is. You have a beautiful space there. I think it looks up to date and unique. I love eclectic design and I love rooms that evolve and I love that your room reflects your upbringing in the South (I am Southern too). I also think you mix things up in an interesting way. There is no need to be all neoclassical or all modern as some of the advice here seems to indicate. Your stuff isn't clashing. It is gorgeous. Most people don't know anything about decorating and yet they have so much advice to offer and saddest of all is that people really don't know they are reacting to a photograph not a space.
2 Likes   Thanked by Robin G    March 21, 2014 at 9:18PM
pegjustpeg
This post started last summer-2013. She updated in Dec. saying she would post pics after painting etc! Actually, several very talented designers gave advice. It will be good to see how she executed it.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 9:41PM
chookchook2
Glad you kept it. Won't be regretted, I'm sure.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 12:23AM
roslyn2012
It is a lovely piece and nice to have from family. Honestly, I think it doesn't go with the peach wall colour. If you painted the wall colour perhaps a warm white, and changed the art on either side to something a little more contemporary/classic, it could take on a whole new look. Also, if you updated the seat cushions that would also make the room look younger, yet maintaining the elegant feel. Another thought is to paint or wallpaper the inside of the display cabinet. The leopard area rug, for me, doesn't really suite the feel of the room. In style modern has shown a great pic above- neutralize the background, update the soft furnishings and allow the beautiful furniture to stand out. Good luck and have fun
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 1:03AM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Being scolded because everyone jumped in on how to decorate and did not read the dilemma is really the dilemma .I like you hutch.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 1:46AM
chookchook2
What about Starsky?
3 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 2:00AM
Jean Worthy
My father looked like the captain... :-)
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 12:40PM
diyher
I like the hutch too, it serves a purpose. Just because one person doesn't need it for that purpose, does not make it "old fashioned" come on.. sheesh lol
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 12:41PM
jengregory
Back to the original question....I love my china cabinet, even though it is a big and cherry. I wanted to change it up, tho, so I took the china out (I never used it) and now only have crystal and cut glass pieces, all clear. It is so pretty and sparkly and is especially nice when I turn on the light inside the cabinet at night :)
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 3:24PM
Robin G
This thread is still getting some life, so I thought I would follow up and get advice on the home I am actually living in. : ) I am attaching pics of the new dining room in the new house. Please understand I just took these this morning, and didn't stage the room. I am a work at home mom to toddlers, so I don't have breakables out unless I am entertaining.

I am struggling with window treatments and the central chandelier. I would like to add something more modern and promote a more transitional, eclectic look to go with all of my hand me down furniture. I will recover the chairs once my kids aren't soaking them every night. (We eat in the dining room). I am not into fussy window treatments. The room is really bright and airy and I want to keep that. The wall and trim color is 50% Tranquility by Benjamin Moore.
4 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 8:58AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Love the cabinet. I would paint the dining set, it does look like grammas.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:02AM
Robin G
I would love to do this 34 inch wide oval drum pendant: http://www.stonegatedesigns.com/detail11_2.asp?ID=140&product_name=Classique
in what color though?
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:04AM
Nancy Walton
A nice window treatment would be just plain pinch-pleat draperies, either solid or a strip to pick up colors from your rug. A faux-silk would look lovely, and there is a site which has faux silk constructed the same way as real would be so they look just like the real thing. http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/striped-faux-silk-taffeta-curtains.html
1 Like   March 25, 2014 at 9:04AM
Robin G
The cabinet is in the living room more like a hutch. the room is not yet painted, so i am waiting to post.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:05AM
Nancy Walton
Again, for the lampshade, choose a color from your rug, or go with an off-white.
2 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:07AM
Robin G
Drapes are a challenge in this space, as the walls have no symmetry and one window is flush with the built in cabinet. I think it is better to go with a shade of some kind, because the single curtain look not one I am sure about.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:07AM
Robin G
I am updating the shades, too, or switching out for different lamps once the chandelier is up.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:08AM
newlifewoman
Love the dining room. It looks so elegant and classy blended with a touch of historical colonialism. Your room has charm and a soul.
4 Likes   Thanked by Robin G    March 25, 2014 at 9:10AM
marenal
What is your favorite hand-me down piece in the room? I think the pastel print on the door wall is a mismatch for the rest of the room. What if you move the botanical from between the windows to the pastel spot, and then you have room for simple hung drapes on the window wall.

I actually like naked windows a lot, but it seems most folks like drapes and I think you don't have room for that print there plus drapes.

Edited: just saw that you are doing shades instead. I think that works.
1 Like   March 25, 2014 at 9:15AM
Margaret B
Have you considered a relaxed roman shade with subtle pattern and then recovering your chairs in something to coordinate?
1 Like   March 25, 2014 at 9:25AM
eightpondfarm
i LOVE beautiful china. and crystal. and silver. and sometimes even silver-plate. i love old beautiful things. i especially love them if they've been handed-down to me. our rustic home offers very little opportunity to display such things, so we always must entertain in order to display. we actually use our lovely things. but if there ever is a new home in our future (????) i'm going to want some kind of platform to display and view all my lovely things now in pantries and storage bins in the shed. if you've got it, flaunt it! that's going to be my next motto :) so, for me, it's a big YESSS on the hutch if you have lovely things to display. but if you have to dig around and go out an procure stuff, then i'd say get rid of it…it's only just one more thing to dust.
1 Like   March 25, 2014 at 9:25AM
eightpondfarm
ie: function over fashion
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 9:26AM
LB Interiors
Thanks for the update. You've done a great job with the room transition. I love that you chose a light bright soft paint color.

I think you can have the best of both worlds. transitional/modern and traditional if the chandelier has a bronze finish. I think I'd like the richness of bronze used to work with the dark table and balance the richness that is in the room. The shade is modern.

I don't think you need the artwork on the wall at the left side of the buffet. I think a blank wall is fine. Without it, the mirror will stay focal. The eye will not get confused. I think a bit simpler.

I think all the art should be moved down. Center of art about 62" from the floor : )
2 Likes   Thanked by Robin G    March 25, 2014 at 11:52AM
icukirt
I love love love hutches...I keep colorful fiesta dishes in mine because I don't own china. I do however have a turqouise hutch to go with my rustic table and buffet. We live in the SW, but I am not a fan of SW design. I want my house to be warm and welcoming as it sounds like you do too, so I say if you love it keep it. The blue pots are quite bright in the picture and I would suggest turning your dining room table 45 degrees.
0 Likes   October 25, 2014 at 4:19PM
icukirt
Oh now I see the new room. What happened to the hutch. Love the buffet and carpet.
0 Likes   October 25, 2014 at 4:26PM
stewy2you
I think I would rethink the entire room and that chair with the pillow also. Your hubby is right on this one!
0 Likes   October 25, 2014 at 4:33PM
Monique Jacqueline Design
To answer your question, the China cabinet is not 'old lady-ish"!
0 Likes   October 25, 2014 at 4:36PM
Saw a Houzz photo yesterday (Sept 20); can't find it now: help!
I noticed an image yesterday, September 20th, as the...
kitchen design - need to order cabinets yesterday. ;)
Hi! I need a little help! We are putting in a new...
What can I put in a glass china cabinet/ hutch besides china. it is i
China cabinet, one door with glass and 2 side glass...
Wondering what the total square footage of this house is now?
Amazing plan and design. Love it! Super nice work KUBE!!...
POWERED BLUE SOFA AND LOVE SEAT IN OUR VACATION HOME
NEED HELP WITH PILLOW COLORS AND AND ACCENT COLORS...
PLease help me with MEdia Center Ideas
I have a 20x20 room with a 2 story ceiling.. My TV...
Please Help with the color of shower tile : cream or white for 2 baths
Hi, I need to decide shower tiles for 2 bathrooms...
Need Help: Raised Panel vs Shaker for White Kitchen Cabinet
I need to choose between Shaker vs Raised panell Styles...
need help with space planning!
We have a lovely 1950 ranch in Seattle area that we...