Help! Who do I hire?
latteplease
June 9, 2013 in Other
This is my first Reno. Our home was built in 1941. We want to Reno the kitchen but take down a wall to make it open concept. Do I need to hire a designer? A contractor? How can I make it all work? Thanks for help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Riviera Construction, Inc.
There are number of contractors such as us, that are design build. They can help you from design thru construction. A kitchen designer would also work well. No matter what, hire a professional. This is very important in order for you to achieve your vision and to get the quality you're expecting. In order to find the right contractor, here are some tips that I recommend.

• Ask family, friends or coworkers for recommendations. Interview a few recommendations. Even if you like the first.
• Make sure the contractor has a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and
suppliers.
• Find out how long they have been in the building business. It usually takes three to five years to establish a financially sound business. You want to make sure they will be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties.
• Check out the company's rating and if there have been any complaints filed with your local Better Business Bureau.
• Make sure the contractor has sufficient workers compensation and general liability insurance. If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on your premises.
• Ask the contractor to provide you with names of previous customers. If they won't, beware. If they do, ask the customers if they would hire the builder/remodeler again.
• Ask if you can see the builder/remodelers work, both completed and in progress. Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
• Look for a contractor who places an emphasis on customer service. Your contractor should be friendly, professional and show enthusiasm.
• Do you feel you can easily communicate with the builder/remodeler? Remember you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and afterward as you live in your new home.
• Observe how the contractor interacts with their subcontractors. If there is respect between them, it will provide a clue as to how smooth your project will run.
• Make sure the contractor provides you with a complete and clearly written contract. The contract will benefit both of you.
• Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids. If the builder/remodeler is unable to pay for the materials and labor as the project proceeds, this may indicate a potential problem. Keep in mind that less expensive does not necessarily mean better! It usually means the opposite.
• Since you are planning to work in a pre-1978 home, verify that your contractor is an EPA Lead-Safe Certified Renovator. You can go here to gather further information. http://www2.epa.gov/lead/renovation-repair-and-painting-program
June 10, 2013 at 5:55am     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio
Good advice, Riviera Construction!
June 10, 2013 at 6:59am