Need help with flooring choice!
gingera
We are starting our remodel of the kitchen/living area next week. I am stuck between a lighter 16-inch travertine-look tile and a 6x24 walnut wood-look tile. I like the look of both, but I like the walnut wood-look a bit better. My concern is that it would be too dark for our home-- it's a 70s Spanish-looking ranch, 8-foot ceilings, and a long, retangular space we are dealing with. Natural light does come in the house, but not as much as I would like. My husband does not like light wood floors at all, and the mahogany seems too red for us.
The cabinetry in the kitchen will be a soft white (SW Ethereal White or Moderate White). I will pick countertops based on what I pick for the floor.
An old picture is attached (please forgive the bad photoshopping!)-- we've done quite a bit since then (there is no more paneling, etc.)
Any suggestions you have would be great, thank you!
msubreeze
I see the wood look everywhere lately and am surprised how few people realize it is tile. You could lay it on an angle or horizontal to the narrow direction in order to make the area appear wider. I think it is warm looking and gives contrast to the light cabinets. Both are nice looks though.
June 10, 2013 at 3:43am   
Sasha Retana
What do you plan to do for cabinets/furniture?
June 10, 2013 at 3:44am   
carolins
A walnut floor and keeping the furniture light... I'm sure that will look absolutely wonderful. Tiles are a reflective surface, so it will bounce a bit of light around. I hope you will add recessed can lights to the ceiling in stead of the ugly (sorry) fluorescent light fixtures that are there now.

Urban Living Room + Kitchen + Eating Area
Kitchen
June 10, 2013 at 3:51am   
gingera
@carolins- We are adding can lights, and yes, I cannot wait to make my ceiling look a little less like my 1980 elementary school. That lighting and those acoustic tiles are out the door! @Sasha - neutral sofa, medium wood tables, and the cabinets will be a similar color as they are now, but shaker style.
June 10, 2013 at 4:26am     
need help with flooring choice
I love the look of hard wood but worry it wont hold...
Need help for kichen floor wood choice?
We have a raised ranch and the family/living room and...
Need help with a choice for my basement floor
Is this finish very expensive? Roughly how much does...
Need help on floor choice.
Hi , We would like to know what flooring was used in...
I need help with a flooring choice for a heaily used sewing room.
The room is a LARGE loft. It is new construction....
Need advice on barstool wood color and kitchen cabinets/other furnitur
Hi We need some advice. We are looking for barstools...
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
Type of wood on this vanity?
We are planning to do a wood vanity. Does anyone know...
Master bath pls help
Brown tiles, brown wall color everything brown. Looks...
Dark dining room
I have a relatively small dining room with just one...