Should I do it?
califgrrrlJune 10, 2013
My kitchen is so sad. The house is a 1947 ranch style near the Gulf Coast. I have a retro/coastal theme in mind. My prototype design is kind of bold and I am looking for validation or suggestions. The first two attached pictures are of the south wall. The last two are the north wall.
Dominick Mezzapesa
NO NO NO I am sorry the designs you showed are from 1947 LOL I do not mean to make fun of your idea but DONT DO IT! Give me a few moments and let me see if I can design something more modern looking but will be bolder and more up to date as far as the look
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:29AM
gingerclaire
Can you post a plan view with an idea of which rooms lead off this area?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:29AM
califgrrrl
Ginger, the dining room is to the east and the den is to the south.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:36AM
gingerclaire
Can you sketch out a quick plan of where you are thinking of putting the units, cooker etc.?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:38AM
Dominick Mezzapesa
Give me 1 hour or so I will photoshop you an idea
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:40AM
Dominick Mezzapesa
Here is one idea...I am not thrilled with it. But I have others
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:20AM
Dominick Mezzapesa
The one thing that must be changed is the back splash
Niche for Design
Do you have a floor plan of the proposed layout? It does not seam very functional- but that may just be the views shown. Also, is that blue wainscotting shown in the rendering?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:24AM
Dominick Mezzapesa
another
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:36AM
msmliss
Never in my life have I ever seen a stove sharing the sink space! Can you not redesign the appliances? Is there going to be no dishwasher?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:40AM
sledzik
black worktop and tiled splashback could be nice+spotlights...and extractor
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:43AM
Love Dominick's first rendering. Take the counter material all the way up for the backsplash.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:24PM
califgrrrl
The countertop is going to have to go. Its delaminating around the sink. I want to do a retro formica with a metal edge. Niche, you are correct, it is not very functional. The stove is going to be moved to the south wall. The refrigerator will go where the stove is with a dishwasher beside it.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:42PM
califgrrrl
Thank you Dominic, I really hadn't considered green. It looks nice.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:44PM
Niche for Design
Glad to hear the layout isn't as it seemed. Sounds like you may be going for a mid-century feel with your formica and metal edge countertop. I must say- I have a soft spot for that particular style as well. You might enjoy my recent blog post on the topic: http://www.nichefordesign.com/#blog
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:54PM
califgrrrl
Here are the floorplans. The first is the current version with the adjacent rooms. The second is the remodel plan, with the exception of the dishwasher location. It will have to go by the fridge.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:38PM
I would paint all the oak baseboards and window and door trim white, plus any doors. Of course you could make a huge change by painting your cabinets, but I would not try for a retro look. I'm not clear on whether your remodel includes all new cabinets or whether you are reusing some of them.

I would also remove the backsplash which appears to be bead board and replace it with tile. If formica countertops are as far as the budget will extend, then fine, but otherwise, I'd go for quartz, granite, or butcher block.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:48PM
gingerclaire
OK, that makes more sense to me! Can I ask a few more questions? What do you like about your existing kitchen? What do you dislike? What annoys you about the layout when you are using the kitchen? Will you be replacing the units or reusing them? Would you consider changing your appliances?
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:21PM
Barnhart Gallery
calif, I'm a bit surprised that no one has more or less embraced your kitschy surfish aesthetic. Here are pages of inspiration on houzz -- not all of them hit the exact note you're going for, but several of them have elements I see in your drawings: http://www.houzz.com/kitsch-kitchen

And some possibilities (not all together, of course) for your unique look:
[houzz=Otomi Wallpaper, Almost White/Red]
[houzz=Mid Century Kitchen Remodel]
[houzz=Ridge Oak Residence]
[houzz=Bob Collins and Sons Red Chinese Lattice Wallpaper, Set of 2 Rolls]

[houzz=Barbara Hulanicki Ophelia Wallpaper, Red]
No more sad kitchen. Happy kitchen!
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 6:44PM
sstarr93
@Barnhart Gallery, if I could give you more thumbs up, I would! Go for it, paint it, @califgrrrl your idea is wonderful.
I adore the red and white wallpaper with the aqua lower wall!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 6:51PM
califgrrrl
Barnhart Gallery, thanks for the links! I like the Ridge Oak kitchen and that last wallpaper is perfect!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:01PM
califgrrrl
Carol, I am definitely going to paint the cabinets. They are stained reddish brown without any sealer. I am keeping the cabinets on the south wall and getting new ones for the north wall. The 'beadboard' I have now is just the fake sheet stuff. I want to put back the original V-board that was in there originally.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:07PM
califgrrrl
SStar, thanks. I like that color combo too, it makes me happy :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:08PM
califgrrrl
Hi Ginger, great questions. Just about everything annoys me about the kitchen, lol. I realize that I may have to live with some of it.
1. The front door of the house is too far away from the driveway so the kitchen is our main entrance. When you come in from outdoors you track dirt in.
2. The stove location. There is not enough counter space by it. That's why I want to move it to the north wall with 30" deep counter space on both sides and a vented microwave above it. I can put my toaster and toaster oven toward the back of the counters and still have some room. All the cooking stuff in the same area seems logical.
3. My side by side refrigerator is inconvenient. When you open the door it blocks the counter next to it so you can't just get things out and set them on the counter. If I move it to the south wall, that will help, however you still have go a few steps to get a drinking glass from the cupboard on the other side of the sink.
4. I do my prep on the left side of the sink, that's OK except the garbage can is behind me to my left.
5. Aesthetics. The cabinets are drab, ugly and streaky. At least they are real wood, in good condition. The green Formica countertop is hideous, deeply scratched and delaminating. The laminate floor is moisture damaged plus I hate laminate with a passion. Most of the house has oak hardwood. I'm thinking a light colored wide plank wood or linoleum with a pattern.
6. Layout. If I put a dishwasher by the fridge, it's several steps to the cabinet to put them away. I can't put it on the left side of the sink because as my husband pointed out, when you open it the door would block the standing room to the cabinet where the dishes are stored.
That's all I can think of for now. I appreciate any suggestions.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:28PM
gingerclaire
I like the colours and feel you are going for in your kitchen, and with minimal tweaking, I think you could reuse all of your existing cabinets, and only need to source a couple more matching doors from a local carpenter. I have sketched an idea for you.

My advice to you would be to think how you can streamline your space, and maybe have a look at European appliances. You are working with a more European size of kitchen, and I think they would be scaled better for your needs. I would also look for a combination microwave that can do your toasting/grilling and conventional functions as well as microwave. If you would be happy with a smaller refrigerator, there are some great smaller fridge freezers out there.

If you can avoid wall cabinets on the wall with the sink and cooker, I would. Although it's a bit of a pain to keep clean, open shelving would suit the new surfy style.

I think you could bring the aqua colour in with a fresh-looking backsplash (I have attached a picture of the sort of thing). I also like your lino floor idea - that would work with slightly different colours.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:03AM
OnePlan
Hello ! Just offering up a quick idea - very rough sketch ! Sorry ! But on my way out ! Think it's self explanatory !!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:24AM
gingerclaire
Something this sort of size would do the trick for you http://www.liebherr.us/HGH/en-GB/products_us-hg.wfw/id-582423-0_20939-0

They make some nice looking (and very energy efficient) fridges. I love mine (the very small fridge freezer pictured below)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:51AM
mefor
Love your color ideas!! Definitely go for that kitschy cool look, just make sure the layout of kitchen is functional, then make it "funk"tional!!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:13AM
gingerclaire
Sorry, mine is here
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:32AM
califgrrrl
Ginger, I love the idea of the micro-toaster oven. Great space saver! I would like to downsize the refridgerator also. It fit well in a previous home but it is out of scale in this kitchen. The aqua tile backsplash is a good idea to get my color without overdoing it.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:34AM
califgrrrl
mforr, 'funk-tional'... great word, I love it!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:36AM
califgrrrl
I really appreciate all the input. This is a great online community here on houzz. You all have been very generous with your time and effort. You gave me many useful ideas to incorporate into my project now. Thank you all so much!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:38AM
califgrrrl
Oneplan: that is a nice plan. Thank you for posting it :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:40AM
gingerclaire
All you have to do now is post all your pictures when you're done!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:25PM
changingwoman
Glad you decided against the retro countertop withthe metal edge! I grew up with that horrible stuff and believe me, you don't want to live with it. It is hard to clean, the metal edge collects dirt and grease and you cannot put a hot pan on it. The edge rarely goes on perfectly smooth and the nails pop over the years. It also dents and dings, leaving some sharp edges. Love the ideas everyone are coming up with. Do you want to keep the kitchen separate from the rest of the house, or is there a wall you could open up into a dining or family area that would give you more options? I love the open look myself, but hate smelling cooking odors in my bedroom hours later, so there is something to be said for being able to close the kitchen off! Have you considered adding a large garden window above the sink? It would visually open the room up and give you a place for plants, herbs and knick-knacks? We did that in a small kitchen in Houston many years ago. On the outside of the house, under the new bumped out window, we added a faucet (from through the wall to the kitchen plumbing so it was cheap) and boxed in the area under the window for storage for waterhose and garden tools. Anyway, I love the retro look you are going for and can't wait to see the photos!
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:56PM
changingwoman
Oh, some of the paint companies like Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams have apps on line that allow you to upload your room photos and add their colors so you can see what things will look like. I just realized your plan looks like you are moving into the den space to get more room? Can't wait to see the finished room!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:02PM
should i do wood columns? what else do i need?
need more advice on what to do with this old house
shanareed4
what should I do with this side of my kitchen ? should I take off thos cabinets ?
I think the hood doesn't fit right with those two cabinets....
Gianni Gasperin
I'm doing a Moroccan stencil on this wall. What color should I do?
Colors in the room are grey, green, wall is pismo dunes...
Stacy Dill
Layout of kitchen
Will take out old built in. Move sink below window....
222612
help with tiny kitchen
Paint cabinets? help with storage ideas, no room for...
kenricsyd
Desperately needing curb appeal help!
This is the front of our house. Lots of flagstone...
kwesselman
Need help deciding on new garage door
We are in the process of deciding on a new style for...
janetandmatthew
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie