18-inch dishwasher - any opinions?
sensei89
We're remodelling our small kitchen and want to get a double sink which requires a 36-inch cabinet. This means we'd have to sacrifice our standard size 24" dishwasher for an 18" model. we don't have enough room to put it anywhere else in the kitchen. There are 3 of us at home, soon to be 2, and we don't put everything in the dishwasher, certainly never pots and pans. We only fill it once or twice a week. Are we crazy to drop down to a smaller model? Does anyone have one of these, and if so, do you like it? Photo shows current layout. We're remodelling with a double sink and ikea cabinets.
0825sam
We had one in our old kitchen. It was fine - we ended up running it every day pretty much when we had baby bottles and all that - but if it was just the two of us it would have been fine. The only times I found it very inconvenient were big family dinners when you can't fit serving pieces.
June 10, 2013 at 10:36am     
sensei89
Thanks. Do you remember how many place settings it held? We don't have big family dinners very often, but I can see how that would be an issue.
June 10, 2013 at 10:50am   
bubblyjock
We had one, and I loved it (well, as much as one can love an appliance). It took just about as much as a regular 24" dishwasher. For dinner parties, I'd get it going with all the glasses and dishes from the starters, so it was ready to be emptied and re-filled in time for main and dessert dishes and glasses by the end of the meal. Dinner parties were for 8-10 guests.
June 10, 2013 at 10:58am   
OnePlan
hi ! no problemo ! std 450mm DW is great for you by the sound of it ... we have one ! it's great - use it pretty much everyday - only three of us living here - but at weekends can be up to 15 staying ! its just on more often those days ! it doesn't take my large charger size plates and I don't trust it with my large wine glasses - but have no real complaints !
June 10, 2013 at 11:12am   
0825sam
I don't remember place settings but it was more large pieces as opposed to plates, salad plates, etc. with just regular dishes it fit a lot - even my big square dinner plates.
June 10, 2013 at 11:14am   
0825sam
So for big dinner I would just run twice and do all the serving stuff separately
June 10, 2013 at 11:16am     
OnePlan
if you have a choice - go for the one that has the cutlery as a third tier on top for more room in the bottom and top rack - miele do a lovely one ! very quiet !!!!!
June 10, 2013 at 11:18am   
sensei89
You're all amazing ! Thanks for putting my mind at rest over thus issue !
June 10, 2013 at 11:32am     
Niche for Design
It may even be better to have a smaller one- especially if it is soon to be 2 in your home. I find with 2 people it sometimes takes TOO long to fill and we are having to wash dishes by hand when we need them. Perhaps I just need to invest in more dishes!
June 10, 2013 at 11:34am   
18" dishwashers - any opinions?
We're remodelling our small kitchen and want to put...
thermador panel freezer 18" create 2 18" inch pantry on either side
Using thermador freezer 18" and want to create two...
are 2 18" dishwashers side by side like having one really big one?
My husband wants 2 dishwashers, I want one. I was regretting...
Entry table or not?
Would it be better to add a narrow console in this...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...
Help choose color for kitchen cabinets
I am having a tough time deciding between rustoleum's...
Potlites
How many potlites should one put in a 15x20foot living...
Would you go for a striped wall?
Feature walls are big news, but what if you want to...