Love the log color!
cdg4681
June 10, 2013 in Photo Questions
Hi - we purchased an old cabin to restore and love the look of how your interior logs turned out. Were the logs washed, blasted, stained etc, or just cleaned? Thank you!
Clark & Zook Architects, LLC
Thank you for your comment! These heart of pine logs were from a house built in 1820's so they are old. They were cleaned off, but not stained, or polished in any way. They were not blasted as that would ruin the patina. The original house was demolished in late 1990's, and the logs sat on a piece of property in Cartersville Georgia, about 50 miles away from where this house was built (or re-built). Many of the logs have the original nails and other holes from bugs,etc. I think before they were re-assembled, the contractor brushed the face with a stiff wire brush, to remove dirt/debris.
June 10, 2013 at 11:12AM   
Clark & Zook Architects, LLC
One other thing...you can read all about the house in Becky Harris' great article on houzz.com, which was written a few months back...

June 10, 2013 at 11:14AM   
cdg4681
Thank you! So just one more question - the front exterior log wall as well did not need any finish over the log?
June 10, 2013 at 11:15AM     
Clark & Zook Architects, LLC
Rather than expose the old logs to the weather the owners wanted to put natural siding over the logs. That siding is sometimes called "hog pen" siding, but I call it rough hewn "wavy" siding. It was specialty milled at a local saw mill in North Georgia. The sides of the house (where the stone chimneys are located) have the "wavy" siding, but the section under the porch has the exposed logs.
June 10, 2013 at 11:19AM   
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
HELP, my living room still needs something
Hi everyrone; My husband and I repainted our living...
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....
Exposed ceiling in dining room? Yay or nay ..
We are fixing up our 175 year old farm house and we...
delivery australia
do you deliver chandeliers to Tasmania, Australia please?...