Need help how can I decorate this room to be less drab?
lloughery
What color accents should I use to brighten this dull room up
lonecouleeranch
What about orange/pumpkin/russet, Kelly green/lime green, blue-grey. What color do you have in your adjacent rooms? Add in with pillows, blankets, artwork, and rugs. Just a note you artwork looks rather high. Try lowering it. It's hard to see in the pictures, but why is the couch on the angle? What if it was straight on the wall, then with a couple of chairs facing the window.
June 10, 2013 at 3:25PM     
felixgrantham
You need color!

Replace the rug with a larger rug that has color & pattern, then get throw pillows to match. Be sure it has some color in it that is close to the wall color - it doesn't need a lot, just some of the wall color. The small table in the corner by the window next to the tall display cabinet looks out of place. Use it as a side table.

Agree w/ above - why is couch at an angle? Is it facing an angled fireplace? If not, place on the wall as suggested or float it facing the window. If so, scoot it to the right & squeeze in another chair by the corner.

More pics from other angles would be helpful. Also a close-up of the drape fabric.

Some new art that is less "officey/institution" and more colorful/engaging would help wonders too.
June 10, 2013 at 3:46PM     
lloughery
Okay. Does this look better? I rearranged the furniture and added orange
June 12, 2013 at 3:59PM     
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
You have a good starting point. Everything is at a small scale in a too tall room. Your art is hung too high. For a budget, I recommend buying (assuming 20 foot tall ceiling) 14 yards or 7 each side of a colorful fabric. Buy 28 yards to get a double width of fabric to fill in the whole wall between the glass and the corner. Gather it some at one end and staple to a board or mount short rods at each side of the window all the way at the ceiling. Once you've added the tall fake drapes, the room will start to feel more in proportion. You can leave the drapes you have now for privacy as long as the new tall panels work with the fabric colors. You need 4 framed posters rather than 2 for this wall. Bring the bottom 2 down so that the middle is more eye level. Then mount two above them. The 4 frames should have the same distance between them vertically and horizontally. You could also use fabric instead of poster art in the frames to add some POP. I think these two changes will make all the difference in SCALE.
June 12, 2013 at 4:32PM     
lonecouleeranch
Your new arrangement and the pop of color is coming along. Great job so far. I would still lower your artwork. What else do you have in mind for your room?
June 12, 2013 at 5:35PM     
Flooring dilemma
I really want to update our kitchen. It is almost...
Trim color help!!
Hello! We are moving forward with building a home,...
Blinds- should I return them or switch color?
New house, ordered custom made dark brown faux wood...
Awkward Entryway, Unused Room
Help! We moved into a small, 1950's home a few weeks...
Bright orange area rug
I purchased this rug for my casual living room. It...