What to do with the top piece?

prettydarncuteJune 10, 2013
I purchased the bottom piece from a resale shop. I love the color. I need a top for it, and after hunting I found the top part at a baby store on clearance. I need to redo the top but I can't match the color and to be honest I have an eclectic look in my home so it doesn't have to be the same color. My colors are silver, grey, distressed woods. Any ideas what to do with the top so it blends in? I use it in the living area.
Do you think these two pieces really go together? What will be the purpose for this? I would have thought the bottom would do as a buffet, TV credenza, sofa table or other, but the top looks like a bookcase to me. I would separate them and let each one shine on its own with great art hanging above each of them.
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 2:59PM
prettydarncute
I had the bottom displayed alone for a couple of months but I could not find anything to fill the space above. We have a 12 ft. ceiling. Any suggestions?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:01PM
Casey Tomlinson
I would love to see the bottom cabinet at the other area of the house but not together. Their colors don't complement so let the top shelf stay there. decorate it with books, vases, photographs etc.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:02PM
rouxb
I think if you plan to use them stacked as shown, they have to have the same finish. If the top is finished differently it will look like a bookcase perched on a chest. I think you can make this combo work but the pieces cannot be mismatched.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:05PM
prettydarncute
As I stated in the original post I want to repaint the top part.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:05PM
prettydarncute
I agree rouxb. I hope that I can match that color.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:06PM
britgirl100
I would paint both pieces the same colour, the choice of colour depends on your living area, a distressed white?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:07PM
ralamantia
Paint all it black and investment money in great hardware.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:07PM
anne dee
It doesn't work. sorry
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:09PM
smdrovetto
Gee! I JUST saw a credenza and hutch that were distressed turquoise, with maroon trim, but it was painted. Let me searcn out that photo. Dont give up on your idea! You may have to a little something to both, to tie them together.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:10PM
rouxb
If you can't match the paint either redo both pieces in the new color or scrap this plan.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:13PM
LB Interiors
Love how you pieced them together. Great finds! How about a base coat of soft gray and glaze or weather the top color coat with a similar (doesn't have to be exact) color as close as you can. Add silver hardware. Top and bottom do not have to match, they just have to blend and work together.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:21PM
PDC - Look at chalk paint in duck egg green - I think it is pretty close - you could put one coat on the bottom and several on the top if you want to marry them. There is a question here of style because this could go two ways - if you like modern style or if you like eclectic / cottage style.

The bottom has such great midcentury lines, and so if your style is modern, please rethink. That style does not really lend itself to having an entire hutch - there are some midcentury pieces like that, but they tend to be asymetrical and have full doors on one side, shelves in a quarter square display, etc.

By adding the open shelves above, it tends to echo traditional cottage style - if that is your style / more eclectic/ more cottage then paint it a paler tone of the same shade or a creamy off-white) and it will work okay - then, I would recommend you hang it on the wall at least 18 - 24 inches above the piece/ fill in the bottom shelf and on each end set it on depth sized wooden brackets painted to match (see prowoodmarket.com) to make it taller on your wall. Then, stack fiesta ware in white and lime green or cobalt blue on the open shelves with some small graphic art elements.

That sideboard is a great piece - with 12' ceilings, if I wanted to help balance it in a room, and you do like modern style, my first instinct would be a large modern abstract art piece above it, possibly with flanking wall hung light sconces. Or, you could go higher by using one really long/tall columnar art element, and use floating art ledges - crate and barrel and pottery barn sell them - then, depending on your color scheme, you can put white or wood floating ledges above it in a random offset pattern that fits with the style of the mid century turquoise piece.

I got a sideboard once that came with a top but did not want to use them together and the shelving top (like yours but 6' wide) made a great headboard. So, don't worry if you really are modern and like some of these ideas better - it can be put to good use.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:22PM
LB Interiors
A large artwork above the buffet if you don't want use the two together. Width to stay within the buffet length. A few inches shorter each side.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:26PM
rouxb
You state you can't match the color. Did you take one of the drawers to a paint shop to have it matched? I really think you can make this work even though the style of hutch doesn't quite match the style of the base. In your eclectic home it probably won't be particularly noticeable once the shelves are decorated. You own both pieces so all you have to lose is time and a little paint. Don't be afraid to be unique!
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 3:58PM
smdrovetto
Hi PDC!

Here are a couple of ideas, I think there are many options, but you need to use some distressing,(sounds like you already know how to do this!) glazes, wax, wash....................and add the wood tone, except maybe "enhanced" to a maroon, with paint of glaze. and carry some of it on to the credenza. And maybe a third color accent. I think new hardware darker, would look good. Also, if you could find glass cabinet doors that fit it, that would be awesome! (Salvage yards, or Ikea and enhance them too.

Okay, I cant get files to attach. Maybe if they are from adds, they won't work....................I've aske Houzz. I'll get back to you!

I don't know if you like florals, but the basic paint colors and usage are great, and would work with your piece, but the floral would be fantastic. I wish I could get my hands on it!
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:05PM
Genevieve
I would use these two separate ,for the top one get a bottom piece added in order to create another shelf and mounted on the wall as a shelf or bookcase you can paint it if you like . For the bottom one I would paint it and change the
knobs on it .
Sligh Barton Creek Mt. Bonnell Bookcase · More Info

You can also use wallpaper to line the back of the open bookcase and create a totally different look

Marrakesh Honey Wallpaper · More Info
]
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:08PM
Cut it down; it is too high for the piece. Trim off some of the crown molding on the top to simplify the top.
Historic cottage renovation kitchen · More Info
    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:57PM
LB Interiors
If you think you might not like the trim compatibility as 'judyg' stated, add a similar narrower molding (2" - 2 1/2") (be sure it will allow drawer clearance) repeating the design flare of the apron part of the molding on the bookcase, that has a curve. Add it to the buffet top edge and paint it the same as the entire repainted bookcase unit. Now, they work very well together.
After - Hutch and Cabinet together but different styles · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 5:11PM
prettydarncute
I took a drawer in and had them match the color. I will post when finished. Thanks for all the help.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:26PM
grannythedecorator
If it was mine, I would paint both pieces and then antique them which suits our style but something else you could do would be to spray paint them a high gloss colour but just remember it's far better to put several thin coats of paint on instead of a few thick coats that will "run" which you don't want...have fun
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:39PM
Regarding post #2, high ceilings shouldn't be a problem since decor usually happens where you and your furniture live - 7-8' at the bottom of the room. You don't have to decorate above the door and window frames unless you have a giant piece of art that demands the space. Still think bookcase and credenza - 2 pieces of furniture - is the best use of these disparate pieces.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by prettydarncute    June 11, 2013 at 3:26PM
rouxb
The top is a hutch rather than a bookcase so would need some woodworking to convert it.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:14PM
LB Interiors
Sorry rouxb, what do you mean? to convert it and why? Just curious. I didn't understand what you mean.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:35PM
tennisanyone
LB, that was very clever.
    Bookmark   Thanked by prettydarncute    June 11, 2013 at 4:53PM
rouxb
@LBInteriors-responding to the post above mine by decoenthusiaste-the top piece is not a bookcase, it is a hutch (has no bottom). In order to use the pieces separately the hutch would need some woodworking-adding a bottom and trim-to use it as a bookcase. Claro?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:07PM
LB Interiors
'tennis' sorry not following you? What was clever?
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:07PM
LB Interiors
'rouxb' Well, it wasn't directed to and about 'deco' comment. It was directed to 'prettydamcute'. Claro?
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:10PM
Lkristine
Since you love the color, (I do too) I would paint the top as closely to the color to the bottom as you can. Then maybe paint the top moulding and the top surface of the original piece a dark color to blend it all together.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by prettydarncute    June 11, 2013 at 5:15PM
rouxb
LB Int-??? it was just a general comment...
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:20PM
tennisanyone
LB adding that trim piece but I also like Lkristine mockup.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:24PM
LB Interiors
Thanks 'tennis' I like the contrast color too.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:25PM
LB Interiors
Sorry, 'rouxb' but your general statement did not say using the pieces separately. 'Pretty' had stated above your comment that she was going to match the color and use it as one unit. You may have missed that.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:31PM
rouxb
LB I hate to belabor this but the post directly above mine was deco's, not pretty's. In any case, I will be more careful about using @ in the future. I am certainly not trying to create confusion : )
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:37PM
LB Interiors
Thanks, yes the post directly above is not 'pretty's but hers was two up from 'deco's. You must have missed which is easy to do. When we hit submit, other commenters have hit just before we finish our comment. It does make it confusing at times. It's done and over. Just needed a simple clarification. Sorry for the trouble!
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:44PM
rouxb
LB-Thanks! I did see pretty's comment about the matching. I hope it works out for her the way she envisions!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:51PM
smdrovetto
Hi PDC!

I found some pieces that were inspiring to me. I see some things in each that may provide ideas for your vision.

The little drawing LB Interiors did of a trim piece to visually connect the two pieces, is sort of represented in the cabinet with the hutch. I've seen her comments in other discussions, and she is very good!

I like the colors on the glass cabinet, with maybe the dark wood in a in a distressed maroon wash, and maybe some pattern, or trim done in similar ways, or an image on one of the small doors on your base piece................. the images are from a website called: belleescape.

P.S. Maybe some kind of bun foot, or something to bring it up from the floor?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:47PM
saltcitybabe
I think the top and bottom are great. I would probably paint to match. I have something similar, and I even put a wicker basket with a lid left openon top with a plant in it. Lots of good suggestions, but remember we haven't seen the rest of your stuff, but I bet most of us would like it.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:04PM
prettydarncute
Thank you so much. I am in the process of painting the top now. Will post when all finished
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:16PM
please help complete my lr/dr
just painted my dark lr/dr with a light color. Have...
waterloo481
Sink and faucet combination
I am considering a 31" wide Ronbow Kara sink,...
jenniferbishop1616
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
wickedwhite
Best solution for dog's bed in a small apartment
Ok people, our dog do not sleep in our bed. Sorry pet...
Jorge Aristizábal