Will these hickory floors yellow as they age?
vtmom
June 11, 2013 in Photo Questions
I love the look of hickory but every sample I've seen after a year seems to have aged.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Magnus Anderson Hardwood Floors
All wood usually changes color a bit when it ages. The way to mitigate a yellowing would be to use a proper sealer and finish--one that's clear and doesn't yellow with age (like a poly finish). A clear sealer and waterbased finish would be best. The hickory floors we've installed, sanded and finished many years ago have not yellowed at all.
Hope that helps.
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 10:47AM
PRO
Oak & Broad
Very good advice. There are also water based finishes like you described that utilize UV inhibitors as well.
   June 11, 2013 at 12:17PM
vtmom
Thanks that does help. I wonder if I can find out what type of finish is used in the pre finished wood I've been looking at.
   June 11, 2013 at 4:30PM
PRO
The distributor or manufacturer should have product specifications that tell you what finish was applied to the hickory you are looking at.
   June 11, 2013 at 5:16PM
vtmom
Thank you! That helps a lot. I've been looking at so many hardwood floors lately and I keep coming back to hickory. I love the different colors of the grain. The only thing that was holding me back was when I would see a floor that was more light than dark that had yellowed. This helps a lot. We can't really do any of the reds because they just don't look good in our dining room which is what we are shopping for right now and I love Walnut but I think it's probably too soft for us since we have a dog and young kids. So this information is very helpful.
   June 11, 2013 at 5:43PM
PRO
I love hickory too. Another option to think about is getting white oak and staining it. Most hardwood flooring companies can mix different stains together or use a stock stain to get a color you might like. If you look at our website you'll see some examples of that. WWW.MagnusAndersonHardwood.com. Good luck with your project!
   June 12, 2013 at 6:09AM
My Crappy House
Hi there. You mentioned white oak. Does that have variation from board to board like hickory? I love walnut, but it's too soft. Hickory is too light and I hear it doesn't stain well. Perhaps what I want is white oak with a walnut stain?
   March 30, 2014 at 8:38PM
PRO
Oak & Broad
Thats a common stain and wood combination. Here are some Quarter Sawn White Oak planks 10" wide. You can see some variation but not as much as Hickory.
   March 31, 2014 at 5:45AM
My Crappy House
I see what you mean. Thanks so much for posting examples! I'm going with the 2 1/4" boards (I'm not on trend with the wide boards) so maybe that will introduce more variation. If only Walnut were a harder wood, my choice would be easy.
1 Like   March 31, 2014 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
4 inch granite backsplash to match countertop or not?
I am installing a new granite countertop in Bianco...
Help me match my sofa
I'm in the process of redesigning my studio. I don't...
What should I do with my great room fireplace wall?
We are currently in the middle of constructing our...
Bathroom, can I make this work??
I have these pieces, cabinet - sink - and faucet. Our...
where to buy a 48" wide dining table?
hi, looking for a dining table that is 48" to 50" wide,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™