Will these hickory floors yellow as they age?
vtmom
June 11, 2013 in Photo Questions
I love the look of hickory but every sample I've seen after a year seems to have aged.
Magnus Anderson Hardwood Floors
All wood usually changes color a bit when it ages. The way to mitigate a yellowing would be to use a proper sealer and finish--one that's clear and doesn't yellow with age (like a poly finish). A clear sealer and waterbased finish would be best. The hickory floors we've installed, sanded and finished many years ago have not yellowed at all.
Hope that helps.
1 Like   June 11, 2013 at 10:47AM
Oak & Broad
Very good advice. There are also water based finishes like you described that utilize UV inhibitors as well.
   June 11, 2013 at 12:17PM
vtmom
Thanks that does help. I wonder if I can find out what type of finish is used in the pre finished wood I've been looking at.
   June 11, 2013 at 4:30PM
Magnus Anderson Hardwood Floors
The distributor or manufacturer should have product specifications that tell you what finish was applied to the hickory you are looking at.
   June 11, 2013 at 5:16PM
vtmom
Thank you! That helps a lot. I've been looking at so many hardwood floors lately and I keep coming back to hickory. I love the different colors of the grain. The only thing that was holding me back was when I would see a floor that was more light than dark that had yellowed. This helps a lot. We can't really do any of the reds because they just don't look good in our dining room which is what we are shopping for right now and I love Walnut but I think it's probably too soft for us since we have a dog and young kids. So this information is very helpful.
   June 11, 2013 at 5:43PM
Magnus Anderson Hardwood Floors
I love hickory too. Another option to think about is getting white oak and staining it. Most hardwood flooring companies can mix different stains together or use a stock stain to get a color you might like. If you look at our website you'll see some examples of that. WWW.MagnusAndersonHardwood.com. Good luck with your project!
   June 12, 2013 at 6:09AM
My Crappy House
Hi there. You mentioned white oak. Does that have variation from board to board like hickory? I love walnut, but it's too soft. Hickory is too light and I hear it doesn't stain well. Perhaps what I want is white oak with a walnut stain?
   March 30, 2014 at 8:38PM
Oak & Broad
Thats a common stain and wood combination. Here are some Quarter Sawn White Oak planks 10" wide. You can see some variation but not as much as Hickory.
   March 31, 2014 at 5:45AM
My Crappy House
I see what you mean. Thanks so much for posting examples! I'm going with the 2 1/4" boards (I'm not on trend with the wide boards) so maybe that will introduce more variation. If only Walnut were a harder wood, my choice would be easy.
1 Like   March 31, 2014 at 8:34AM
4 inch granite backsplash to match countertop or not?
I am installing a new granite countertop in Bianco...
Help me match my sofa
I'm in the process of redesigning my studio. I don't...
What should I do with my great room fireplace wall?
We are currently in the middle of constructing our...
Bathroom, can I make this work??
I have these pieces, cabinet - sink - and faucet. Our...
where to buy a 48" wide dining table?
hi, looking for a dining table that is 48" to 50" wide,...