OH have times changed

Crystal BrightJune 11, 2013
After doing a few years of textbook home design and staging houses for sale, I realized that just like everything else in the world, home staging has evolved in many ways from the textbooks ideas. I love how everything is always evolving including design, and Houzz is such a great way to keep me updated on trends. Technology makes a huge difference in how I choose to stage homes.

When families come into a new home for a showing, they want to be able to envision themselves there. So too much personalization can be off-putting, and turn buyers away. There are homes that are amazing in their design but may not be what that client wanted to imagine when envisioning that home as their next home. So things that we see in every home like wall paper and furniture and floorings need to be changed or altered to fit a generic but beautiful looking home that anyone could see themselves in.

Televisions are becoming common in staging for me because many times when someone is looking at a space they are mentally imagining where their television will be able to fit. Before I ventured on my own designing homes, I would say television in the home was a big no-no. Make the home seem as boring as possible and have the table set like dinner was about to be served. But thats not how the collective lives anymore.

Yes, of course we want to be able to picture our families together eating and communicating over dinner but realistically, coming from one home to looking to buy another, people don't want their lives to change too much or the showing can become overwhelming. Small changes like mounting or standing a flat screen television in a home for sell may make a world of difference.
Crystal Bright
these are the correct images
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 6:22AM
mousemaker
oh oh :) I am way outta the norm then :) because i can't visualize my own stuff if stuff is already there. And i am totally against TV's over the fireplace. What a beautiful room that could be without the tv there :)
i agree with what you posted though, for most people those things are true and times have changed. I do think the trend may be turning back a little towards families eating dinner together rather than in front of the TV, however.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:35AM
carabella
Nothing wrong with being different haha it is the new normal. I live near a military town and we have single soldiers and families coming in an in most homes they just take to the technology better than others. I love the tv over the fireplace it filled that area beautifully and is exactly where the family put theirs lol! If I were trying to design for a good picture I would use something like art or maybe a plant but to help them feel like they live there I knew a television would help.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 8:40AM
carabella
Lol I guess I had two accounts. I am crystal bright btw ;)
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 8:41AM
mousemaker
so you are "outré" ?:) how cool is that? :) my problem with TV's over the fireplace are too numerous to list, but one of them is the strain on the neck. I guess everyone has their own idea of what they want in their home. imagine that!
art? that's a whole other can of worms. I can't get anyone to agree with me there! :)
    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:40AM
My apologies to all home stagers, but I prefer to look at a completely empty place when I'm home shopping. That way I can see if what I already own will fit/work, or do I need to buy completely new stuff.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:55AM
Crystal Bright
no need to apologize for having a preference. lol its meant for showings and also some homes that arent vacant need the staging because the things they own just dont make the house look as nice as it could. the hardest jobs are hoarders as you can imagine!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:59AM
mousemaker
why is it (and please forgive me this question) that a home cannot show itself? why does it need to be enhanced?
is it because people need help with visualizing? or because it's just good realtorizing? :) :) What I really mean is, if a home is not designed well enough in the first place then there is the problem.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:15AM
Mouse, that's why we're here! People do have trouble visualizing!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:20AM
kimdee24
Mouse, I guess for the same reason that they decorate new showhomes... they are designed intentionally to make you imagine yourself living there.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:22AM
armygirl1987
Mouse, I was wondering the same thing as if people really live that way.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:22AM
kimdee24
When the marketing people for my builder were here taking photos they were telling me how they create a 'scenario' for their showhomes, ie: "John and Ann, young couple, with a new baby..." and they design the showhome for that particular 'fake' couple to target whatever market they're trying to attract.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:25AM
I can see that making sense, when you're young and just starting out and haven't developed your own decorating style yet. I remember my first apartment....but I don't want to!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:30AM
Crystal Bright
Exactly. And most of the time it's what real estate agents turn to when they have a home that hasn't sold. Staging always turns it around for them and just the fact that it always seems to make a difference is enough for me to have no need to understand why it works. But if you put expensive items in an ok home it actually makes it look nicer than it did before. I think it may even be an optical illusion sometimes but nevertheless people who have seen the home before it was staged can make a better decision if they look at it after a stager has been hired.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:34AM
mousemaker
I understand all that :) I am tough customer :) my answer to everything is NO :) or 42 :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:41AM
kimdee24
Agreed, it's hard to walk into a house that is cluttered and full of the owner's personal photos and knickknacks and envision your own stuff in the space. When I sold my last house, the first thing I did was take away all the stuff that made it 'mine' so that it could be 'anyone's...'. Sold the house in six days.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:42AM
42???
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:42AM
armygirl1987
For me it was the potential of the house that made me buy my house. Not the stage aspect of it. I took the whole kitchen out and redid all the floors. I saw that backyard and I was sold. Nothing they had done had impress me.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:48AM
Crystal Bright
Some homes really can just sell themselves but thankfully for the homes with less charm, stagers can enhance the best things about a space. Just like looking in any home you can always imagine it without anything in it but its always harder to imagine it with stuff when measurements and stuff are necessary. Seeing a love seat somewhere could be the perfect size for a little bookshelf or something. And it's always easier to be able to make comparisons like that when u have something there instead of a blank space cause its hard to compare visually empty space against empty space. If that makes sense lol.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:53AM
armygirl1987
I agree Chrystal on some aspect.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:55AM
Crystal Bright
Hey it's ok if not everyone sees it the same way I do though. If I were buying a home I would want it to be vacant but I have an eye for design and stuff that alot of people naturally have and some just would rather take the work out of it
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:57AM
mousemaker
I toured a lot of homes before I started looking seriously. I went to estate sales and open houses just to see what I liked and didn't like and what was available without having someone with me, you know? it was very informative.
I even went to some homes I just wanted to see because they were very old and I had always wanted to see the inside. You could not have paid me to buy a couple of them..rooms too small, they were money holes with all the repairs and upkeep they needed. As it turned out, the house we bought needed help too, but not as badly.
(furnace, roof, insulation--the usual) What sold us was the woodwork. It just swept us away. now I look at it and wish someone would dust :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:05AM
Crystal Bright
That's another reason people hire stagers we will patch up and paint and remove carpets and stuff like that if necessary. U hire us and we hire the rest to make the home look good. I remember a home that was beautiful but had awful red carpet and purple walls and changing that without them renting the furniture was enough to get the house sold.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:31AM
Crystal, I didn't know that! I remember looking at a house that was just unbelievable. Three families lived there, every wall was a different color, baseboards too, cluttered, over crowded. One guy was still asleep and one in the shower who came out wet and with a towel wrapped around him. Tortillas cooling everywhere. AND, we had an appointment!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:48AM
Crystal Bright
Omg I would be horrified! Lots of times people want to show their kids rooms with the pink and childish decorations to show a family setting but all of that's a little bit too homey for me haha
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:56AM
Our Realtor was horrified, and angry. It was a corner lot and I remember there were GIANT palm trees everywhere, which is completely atypical for this area. No palm trees anywhere else. And a huge pool, the only selling point. It was however algaed over and full of mosquito larva. I do believe their neighbors were happy to see them leave!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:10AM
Crystal Bright
It makes me sad seeing properties like that that still have residents. I have worked with some hoarders who only took my advice for one day and then the house got insane again and it just broke my heart. You get attached when working so hard to declutter with an entire family. I think they managed to sell after they left though.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:25AM
"After they left" being the key words!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:27AM
Persian Crafts
Check these rugs too. They are hand woven Persian rugs on sale with free shipment. For more information and receiving our catalogs mail us at:
thepersiancrafts@gmail.com
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:40AM
fjollpjoskan
@olldbobbi 42 is the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything." in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:59AM
armygirl1987
Crystal- your profile pic is very distracting. Was that your intention since we are talking about visualizing. I find myself turning the phone.?
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:17PM
Crystal Bright
I was lying down upside down when I took the picture. It's not my fb profile pic anymore so I thought it would change automatically
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:29PM
armygirl1987
No actually you have to change houzz separate. You look beautiful btw
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:35PM
First time user needs a change
90 yr old bungalow Living/dining/ front door area needs...
nefarmer
Mish-mash of family room, oh and it's HUGE!
OK, I promise I'm pretty decent at decorating but I'm...
reniecpa
OH NO! Can't use bamboo for floors! What to do now?
I just found out from a flooring company that bamboo...
touchadream
LR Paint, Rug & Window Treatment Suggestions... Time for a change!
Hi all! My husband and I bought our home about a year...
Nikki O
Need help in my living room
So I am in the process of decorating the great room/living...
bratliff1972
please help complete my lr/dr
just painted my dark lr/dr with a light color. Have...
waterloo481
Long narrow kitchen layout
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Question about refinishing wood floors.
Our house was built in 2000, with lots of golden oak...
andie77
I used semi gloss paint on my bedroom walls
One wall darker gray (BM Cobblestone Path) and other...
kimberjo68