Ideas for this window
lluce
I'm trying to decide what would be the best window treatment for this bay window. I need it to pop! I'm thinking Roman blinds mounted outside and above window so as to not block any of the view from the window but still see the material of the blind. Either that or maybe a wide shirred valance with some kind of pull down blind mounted inside. I want a clear view out the windows but able to close or pull blind in the afternoon because this window faces the west and it gets quite hot in this breakfast nook in the afternoon. Any input?
Camille Moore Window Treatments & Custom Bedding
There are a few ways you could go with this. I've added a "Bay Window" Ideabook to my page. Here's the link:
This kitchen would look darling with a pale print or even woven wood blinds, though you might be trying to get away from introducing another brown. You have nice window depth, so a working shade (honeycomb shades are great for cutting out heat and glare during the sunny times) could be hidden completely when you don't need the heat protection. Boxed valances or Mock Romans would make a nice addition, keeping the kitchen visually "clean" yet cheerful. Let me know if you have any questions.
June 11, 2013 at 6:56PM     
lluce
I was thinking a print of some kind, maybe in the mock Romans? I'm not familiar with a lot of various blinds and their features, do honeycomb blinds come light filtering or completely light blocking? I would love to be able to block the heat and glare but still have even somewhat of a sheer effect so it's not completely "view blocking" when pulled down. Is there such a thing?? In the print material, I would love to bring up some of the Georgia clay color in the floors, with some moss green color which i have in the living area accent wall. This floor has a clay, brown, gray swirl in it . Also looking for the most cost effective way to do these windows. Blinds and mock Romans or just roman shades? Where to find mock Romans? Are they easy to make, I do sew. Thanks
June 12, 2013 at 5:46AM   
Honeycomb shades do come in light filtering. There's a Hunter Douglas one that has a wonderful linen-slubby look. The "combs" provide huge UV and heat reduction because of the layers. There are other brands too. I love the idea of bringing in a fun print at this window. I would just make sure to use a creamy background with space between the designs to keep it open and airy and cheerful. You would have to make your own or have a workroom make them for you. Or actually, a place like Noble & Smith sells Romans with fabric that you pick. I am a member of two national drapery workroom forums (can you believe there's such a thing as that) and if you need a good, reputable workroom, let me know what city you're in and I can search my group for you. But yes, you can make your own. Romans are trickier than some people think because they need to be perfectly square to operate properly. If you have a good, flat surface, you can mark it with blue tape to keep square. Or you could make your own mock Romans and then buy the Honeycombs.
June 12, 2013 at 7:23AM     
Blinds.com
We completely agree with @Camille. Cell shades give you serious insulation which is nice for a sunny bay window. They are available in light filtering and blackout fabrics, so if you want complete light blockage sometimes you might go with blackout but light filtering will probably give you the insulation you need without keeping out all the natural light. If you want some volume, a shirred valance is nice. (http://blnds.cm/17HdupY) Or a box pleat can give you a cleaner look. (http://blnds.cm/17HdvKH)

The top-down/bottom-up feature might be one to consider. It gives you more versatility, but will still give you insulation when you want it (http://blnds.cm/ZHqlRN). It also looks really nice in a roman shade. (http://blnds.cm/13xeyaK)
June 12, 2013 at 8:51AM     
anne dee
Debra Campbell Design
here's one idea
Classically Modern Kitchen
another; shutters
Turn of the Century Cottage
fabric roller shades
Kitchen
match stick not too sure if they'll be able to keep out the light sufficiently
inspiration pics for ideas for yr consideration
May I say one thing? Your overhanging light should be between 27 -36 inches form the surface of the table. In your pic the light fixture seems much higher.
June 12, 2013 at 9:09AM   
Shobha Bhushan
You can go with the toffee colored shade as you want to go with earthy tones,a box pleated look is good but a sheer curtain will still look good and light in the mornings feels nice once the blinds are raised,when it is not neede the blinds can be pulled down.The roman shade is also a good one
June 12, 2013 at 9:20AM   
Two Blind Guys
I completely agree that a cellular honeycomb shade would fit the criteria you are looking for. They will provide you with excellent energy efficiency, they are offered in a wide variety of fabrics, pleat sizes, and colors options, and when raised, are a very small stack. They will allow you to dress up the room when down but when you want them up and out of the way, your view can still be there. Check out Hunter Douglas Duette Architella Honeycomb shades. They are one of the best products on the market right now and even quality for a Federal Tax Credit through the end of the year due to the energy efficiency they provide.
June 12, 2013 at 11:40AM     
lluce
Thank you for all the recommendations. I think I'm going to check into the honeycomb shades since there is many colors, fabrics and sizes and will give me the I also like the idea of mock roman blinds in a nice print to add to the top area.
Camille- I was thinking I could make the mock Romans, not the roman shades. But I'm so tired from working 24/7 to get this house ready to completely move into by the 19th, I think I'd just like to find what I want and let someone else make it if reasonable. I live in the Maryville/ Knoxville, Tn area.
Anne dee- I know the picture makes the light fixture appear way too far above the table. It is 34 inches, but I want it lower and we just haven't gotten around to lowering it yet. :)
June 12, 2013 at 4:41PM     
No problem! I'll check with my "group" and give them your contact info here on Houzz. You will be in good hands! And how smart of you to check with experts to get advice before jumping in. I wish I had done that along the way!
June 12, 2013 at 4:57PM     
lluce
I only want to have to do this once.
June 12, 2013 at 5:02PM   
I have the numbers or email addresses for 3 local-to-you workrooms. All come highly recommended.
1) Sandy Cruz (865) 671- 0879
2) Sandy Patterson spatterson5@comcast.net. (865) 661-4393
3) Roberta Houston Roberta Houston is in Knoxville area: robertash41@msn.com
June 14, 2013 at 5:57AM     
lluce
Excuse my ignorance, but a local 'workroom' is what? Are they associated with a company that make custom window treatments or a person who sews? Are they generally pretty expensive? Thanks. :)
June 14, 2013 at 5:44PM   
Studio Boise, LLC
To make it pop, I would simply add white 4" trim around each window.
June 14, 2013 at 5:48PM   
lluce
That would look nice, but wouldn't help much for the sun and heat problem in the afternoon. Good idea though, thanks.
June 14, 2013 at 6:35PM   
Keitha
I like the Turn of the Century pic. That Anne Dee posted. It's simple but adds interest.
June 14, 2013 at 6:42PM     
Genevieve
June 14, 2013 at 7:01PM     
Yes, a workroom is the person who will design and sew the Faux Romans for you. When you said, "I think I'd just like to find what I want and let someone else make it if reasonable. I live in the Maryville/ Knoxville, Tn area", that's when I went on a hunt to find someone reputable for you. She will measure and tell you how much fabric you'll need etc. Or if you give her your dimensions, she could figure the yardage before she measures so you'll have it ready when she comes over. Or .. you can give her your measurements and bring your fabric to her shop. If YOU measure, print off a photo of your window and write the measurements for each place that she needs to know measurements for. You can even email the photo with measurements to make sure you've got everything covered. If she's like me, she'll want photos of exactly what you want so that you will be happy and get exactly what you want. (Houzz is THE PERFECT place to find your ideal Faux Roman design!) Or, if she's like me, she has lots of photos and ideas of her own and yall can come up with a great design. Expensive? Get prices on the front end, before you commit. I give prices all the time using photos of the windows and measurements and general design. Compared to a JCPenny Roman that won't fit properly, yeah, maybe more expensive. But you only want to do this once and working with people who know how to make your "window dreams come true" is always a relief more than anything. And you might want to take this important window area in stages. Get the honeycombs first and add the Faux Romans in a couple of months. Good luck and I know that your house will be beautiful! You're doing a lot of leg work on the front end and that is very wise and will save trouble later.
June 14, 2013 at 7:36PM     
lluce
Perfect info! Thanks so much. And that's what I was going to do, get the blinds first to get that heat and sun under control because 3 big pieces of cardboard being put up and down right now is just not very attractive! Lol!
We're moving in Sunday so I think some blinds are in order. :))
June 14, 2013 at 7:46PM     
Need help with window treatment ideas for lv rm window seat window
Hi, I am trying to give my living room a more polished,...
Idea(s) for my windows
Here was my dilemma! My living room and dinning room...
Need window treatment ideas for off center windows
Hi there, I am looking for window treatment ideas...
Need ideas for a bay window that has a heater under the window
We bought an Edwardian home in Melbourne, and would...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...
No natural light in kitchen
Any suggestions in what kind of updates I can do to...
Bookcases
I wanted to install custom made bookcases to fit either...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...