What now?! Too much blue? The shelves have been empty for a year...
kac026
What should I put in these entertainment center shelves? I don't want them to look cluttered.

Regarding the rest of the room, where do I go from here? The whole space feels a bit dark.
tennisanyone
You can have organized clutter to make them look finished, books, collectibles and open space.
June 11, 2013 at 5:43PM     
1/3 books, 1/3 decor items (large scale ones,) and 1/3 open space. The hassock seems to be out of sinc with the style of the sofas, rug and built-in FP. Try a round glass and metal coffee table. The two walls flanking the sofa in pic #1 could use art hung with centers 60" above the floor. I'm guessing your hall needs some art and a table or credenza too. Lighter bar stools, would lighten your space and I'd remove the solid dark pillows.
June 11, 2013 at 5:49PM     
kac026
Decoenthusiaste, I love your ideas, especially about the lighter barrstools. Do you have any suggestions or example pics?
June 11, 2013 at 5:51PM   
jiangmeidesign
I think that corner between the two sofas can use some plants. Maybe an iron corner shelf with several different types of plants. I always find it hard to decide on artwork; but easy and cheaper on plants. You could always take your time to find the artwork that you love later. As to decorations on the shelves in the entertainment center, because the color of the furniture/built-in is so dark, I suggest use white /light blue vases, plates, etc. Limit your color choices here.
June 11, 2013 at 6:07PM     
Keitha
Would you consider painting the entertainment center white to match your woodwork? It would lighten up everything.
June 11, 2013 at 6:13PM     
Keitha
Consider taking one shelf out of each bookcase and space the shelves further apart. This would help eliminate a cramped and cluttered look and would require less decorating allowing you to use larger accessories with more impact.
June 11, 2013 at 6:17PM     
Keitha
Some inspiration!
June 11, 2013 at 6:19PM     
anne dee

inspiration pic change the green to blue to suit your decor. see entertainment centre for placing objects as per decoenthusiaste suggestions.
June 11, 2013 at 6:23PM     
kac026
Keitha, great suggestion about the shelving. Currently, there is only ten inches of space between each shelf, so I have been pretty limited.
June 11, 2013 at 6:24PM     
anne dee

you could add a pair of chairs as seen in the pic. You seem to have available space?
June 11, 2013 at 6:27PM     
kailee622
I would put some books, CDs (if you have any), DVDs, framed pictures etc. spread these items out and leave some empty space so the shelfs aren't cluttered.
Hope this helps!!
June 11, 2013 at 6:48PM     
kailee622
By the way you have a beautiful fireplace!! Maybe you could brighten up the space by get a big light fixture maybe even a chandelier...
June 11, 2013 at 6:50PM     
A Crew of Two
I think the blue pillows too closely match the pattern of your area rug.
June 6, 2014 at 2:26PM     
adivra
I don't see any lamps or side tables.
June 6, 2014 at 3:11PM   
decorideas523
I would paint the entertaiment center, if possible. Add end tables, lamps, add a pop of color with a change on a few pillows. The coffee table looks slightly awkward and dark. I would put a wood server/tray on the coffee table and add books, et. to distract the eye. Add a couple chairs on the opposite side, using pattern/color.
June 6, 2014 at 3:35PM   
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Tile grout color help please!
Who knows about grout color? Sheesh, having anxiety...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Living room kitchen combo arrangement
I posted a few days ago for accessory help and was...