Smoke damage from kitchen fire
christielausterJune 12, 2013
Grown daughter...fixing fried eggplant + hot oil = huge pan fire. Solution? Move pan outside with 4 foot flames...NOT! So the cleaners have been here, along with the insurance agent and we now need to replace 5 cabinets, lighting, flooring and paint 5 rooms, one of which I had just remodeled 3 months ago. We think now is the time to redesign the kitchen while we're at the fix up, but cost is a concern as this is not in this years budget. Insurance will go a long way towards overall costs, but my fear is we'll take the check, use it all in the kitchen and I'll end up painting sealer and two coats of paint in five very large rooms. And I am scheduled for hip replacement in August. Help me decide the right way to go, please!!
Barnhart Gallery
So sorry to hear all of this. From the photos it looks as though there's just a burnt spot on the floor and the rest of the kitchen is okay, but from reading your post, are you just showing us what's left of the kitchen that's salvageable? Five other rooms are singed/ruined/gone?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:56PM
Jocelyn wishlist
There is no greater stress than debt! Only replace and repair what the insurance covered. If you have saved money for a kitchen remodel, then certainly see what you can add to the project.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:03PM
Jenny Beaumont
Visit Ikea!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 6:54PM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Develop a master plan that includes a grouped list of all the spaces you plan to fix up. Determine your max total $ you can spend. Take off 10% to cover unknowns. Working back from that total, allocate $ to each space. Then shop around with pros to bounce your number off them to get a sense if you are in the right ball park. If you are running high, re-work what you plan to do in each space until you get to where you want to be, or pull out a space and agree to tackle it later. You just need to be disciplined about it.

If you are local to Los Angeles, we can help you do this for a few hours of consultation time. If not, you should be able to find a local pro that can. It's money well spent to plan it all out in advance.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:03PM
A Crew of Two
Make a list of what you can do yourself and what you have to hire pros for, then make a list of what you want, have to have and can live without......for instance granite counters vs laminate etc. Can you repurpose the cabinet boxes and just get new doors? Go to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and check out flooring- they always have tile for cheap. Check out craigslist for flooring- we found hardwood floors from a an old school 2000 sq ft. for $100.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:58PM
christielauster
Thanks to all for your help!
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:03PM
Fischer-Daniels Kitchen Designs
No offense to the IKEA crazed, Stay out of IKEA, that is NOT a fix..... that is only my opinion, and that is all it is, find someone like us, who takes what you want and need and make it happen. You need to be honest with what your budget is and then find someone who you like to work with and they WILL make it happen. Let me know if you need some help.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:21PM
Perhaps in the interim invest in a rug to cover the floor - and when you have the time and money - then attack the kitchen (after following the excellent suggestions above).

Your health (and hip replacement) is more important long term and for quality of life than worrying about this right now.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:23PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Good suggestions. Please take a look at some pictures I have and let me know if I can do anything to help you, Thank you.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:38PM
nwduck
If feasible, I'd do the kitchen with proceeds/available funds. I sort of think your daughter may owe you the 5-room paint job. You need to be in good shape for surgery--health first! I'm sure she would not want you to do it. As a short term solution and if the floor really bothers you, perhaps you can get a patch for the vinyl from under the stove.
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:26PM
sstarr93
I'm picking up that you will have very limited funds to do this repair work. You need a cost-effective plan to get through this period of time, especially since you are going to have surgery.
These are 80's cabinets, which were inexpensive when they were new, and a lino-type floor. You will need to replace both, or be stuck with the layout permanently. I think that once you know the dollar amount of the settlement, get several estimates for replacement, looking at low-end but attractive options.
I have personally installed an IKEA kitchen in a house, and it was terrific. There are other less-expensive lines, and they are worth investigating.
What happened to the paint in the other rooms? I'm surprised that this fire requires them to be repainted.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:51AM
apple_pie_order
@ReSquare Architecture: Good project management plan.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:07AM
Jayme H.
Kids never stop wrecking our stuff even when grown up!! LOL
I agree with doing a quick fix on kitchen for now and tackle large projects later on after u are back on your feet...(RN speaking here...).. Best Wishes on your upcoming procedure!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:06AM
celestepet12
how far have you gone with the insurance company? I would recommend hiring a 3rd party insurance adjuster to represent you. In my experience, you'll get a far better settlement from your company.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:46AM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
An idea for a quick fix on the flooring is to let the old flooring remain along the edges of the kitchen as a border to new flooring in the center. My instinct is a solid color that complements either the existing flooring (a darker grey) or the walls (a lighter red, with a saturation comparable to the floor). That'd be a quick cost-effective fix. Pay particular attention to where in the pattern you cut in the new inlay.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:19PM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Christie -- I put some ideas together for you, but my techxpert was here running scans on my computer and now my files are unable to attach or upload. I've sent him an SOS and will post when he restores access.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:35PM
lmj091076
I am a fire investigator... Cooking oil fires cause the oil to atomize and coat everything and everywhere the smoke extended to... And because it is an oil, it is not easily removed.

Do the painting as recommended by the fire restoration pros, you will surely regret it if you don't... Food fires are ALWAYS stinky, and a beautiful new kitchen will not be as enjoyable if the rest of your house smells like burnt oil six months from now (part of which you'll be on bed rest after surgery so you can really enjoy it!) Your insurance will pay you enough to have pros come in and do it... Focus on maximizing their effort so you will have an enjoyable home to relax in while you are recouperating... And during that time you can start designing the kitchen of your dreams!
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:36PM
Barnhart Gallery
I'll explain in a minute -- right now I'm checking to see if this will upload:
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:08AM
Barnhart Gallery
I really wanted to explain the above first so as not to offend, but my techxpert was here to see if my uploading problem was fixed...so, anyway...

IF you are the type of person for whom laughter is the best medicine for life's trials, then I might tenuously suggest taking inspiration for your new kitchen from...the beauty of an eggplant. (Cursor over pic to enlarge.)

I do hope that soon you find yourself walking unassisted and pain-free into the kitchen of your dreams.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:24AM
franplair
I would replace the lower cabinets and only replace the doors on the uppers and buy a thin layer of wood veneer or paint the sides of the uppers. The floor is something that can be as cheap as a can of paint and sealer until you get more money.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:30AM
Hi im looking for a 4 faced wood fire place to put in my new contemporary house.
Does anyone have an idea for me ? The fire place will...
peg49
Fire in the Kitchen!
We were hosting a Brunch on Mothers Day.... and had...
shawnalsr
Need specialist advice for seamless movement from family room to kitch
I am updating my newly purchased house. I want the...
Britt
We had a house fire & have a big job ahead to redo the house
We had a house fire that burned all of our garage and...
odiesmom
House Fires - Share your Experience
Have you ever experienced a fire in your home? What...
Kitchen??
Should we re stain the cabinets and get new doors,...
Aletha Walsh
How to hang a large mirror over a sofa
how to hang a large mirror over a sofa -
cynellsworth
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor
Help Placing my new Furniture
Tomorrow we are finally getting our furniture for our...
pauli12
Living Room Deco Ideas - How to add some color
Good morning, I bought a home a few months ago and...
Cheryl Wells