Redesign of Master Bath and Closet

BenJune 12, 2013
We are building a new home, and can't decide on our master bath/closet layout. The photo is our current design, but would like suggestions on how to make the bath/closet better. Need a linen closet in the bath. Should we put the closet entrance in the bath? Appreciate the help!
WiFIVE architects
Having the closet door in the bathroom is entirely a matter of personal preference. If one of you gets up (or stays up) later than the other, then it allows you to get ready completely within one space, without having to go back and forth through the sleeping area. In this case, if you're open to moving the door into the bathroom, you can gain a small amount of hanging/ storage, but the overall layout is more efficiently laid out (more u-shaped, than galley). It's also less claustrophobic than walking into the closet with hanging and storage on both sides. In my proposed layout, you can still fit a decent sized linen cabinet in the bathroom and have the additional wall space in the sleeping area for art, pictures, etc.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:47AM
Ben
Thanks for the drawing. Will the linen closet and bathroom door be in the way of each other?
We've thought of a hallway to the bath with a his/hers closet on either side, but not sure if that will be enough space for the double sink.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:52PM
This is a very typical master ensuite and closet layout, which is very efficient in space organization.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:52PM
Ben
Should we place a wall between the vanity and the toilet?
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:55AM
WiFIVE architects
The only conflict between the Bathroom and Linen Closet doors is that they couldn't both be fully open at the same time (they couldn't in the original plan either though). Another option for linen storage would be to have a built-in shelf/ cabinet in the niche created by omitting the front (door) wall of the closet. I have done projects with a hallway leading into the Master Suite that had His/Hers closets on either side, but with the floor space you have to work with, I'd be hesitant to devote floor space solely to hallway. If you're open to a shorter vanity, you could add a half-wall between the vanity and the toilet. I think a full height wall might make the room feel smaller. A half wall is a nice way to add some privacy for the toilet without closing down the room. For a master bathroom I like to have a 32"-36" wide space for the toilet.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:15AM
Ben
Thanks WiFIVE! We didn't think about making the room seem smaller with a full wall between the toilet and vanity. We are also open to totally adjusting the whole design of the master bath/closet. Any thoughts?
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 6:10AM
WiFIVE architects
Given the space you have for the Master Suite, I'm not sure there is anything I would really suggest at this point. Good luck with your project.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:44AM
KARKELA CONSTRUCTION
Another sugestion would add a 2 foot wide linen cabinet to the end of the vanity , to the left of the sinks either 7 or 8 foot tall that would leave you around 6 feet for your two sinks. That would eliminate your linen closet in the bath and the doors swinging into each other, then I would move your walkin closet door over tight to the bathroom door, change the door swing then your bedroom door won't swing into your walkin closet door this will give you more room in your walkin closet. You can always add stackiing shelves in the wakin closet if you feel you need more for linens or the linen closet in the hallway next to the other bathroom would most likley be adequate.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:07AM
Ben
We are having a built-in linen cabinet in our main bath next to the vanity. Could do that in master as well.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:13AM
Ben
What are everyone's thoughts ( pros and cons ) of separate closet entrance or closet entrance from master bath?
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:14AM
KARKELA CONSTRUCTION
I would say that the closet entrance from the master bedroom would be more convenient, closer and if someone was using the bathroom that might cause a problem. I hope this helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 6:53AM
Ben
Thanks Karkela! Leaning toward a separate entrance to the master closet from the master bedroom instead of the bathroom. Our builder mentioned something about talking us into having the entrance from the bathroom. What are the pros and cons? Thanks for your advice!
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:06AM
Ben
Master closet entrance through the bath or from the bedroom? Which is more desirable?
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:26PM
sstarr93
@blgerken, we've had a few of these threads, and the general feeling has been that the humidity in the bathroom would be a negative for the items in the closet.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:50PM
Nicastro Contracting Services LLC
Personally I would leave the closet entrance from the bedroom, basically leave the layout per plan hut you still have a conflict with linens closet door and bathroom door. Consider changing the bathroom door to either a pocket door or a wall surface mounted sliding door. You can use this link to see a gallery of photos for the surface mounted sliding doors http://www.johnsonhardware.com/wmgal.htm. I will be installing the surface mounted door for a client's bathroom remodel for the same reason of door swing conflict and because of existing heating/ AC ductwork will not allow for a pocket door.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:17PM
Ben
Thanks Nicastro for the link to the sliding door. Never thought of a sliding door as a possibility, but they are very attractive.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:48AM
Nicastro Contracting Services LLC
You are welcome. Best wishes to you and your family in your new home.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 12:56PM
Walk in closet vs full master bath room
Do I go for a full master bathroom with a smaller walk...
zpret
Need help with master bath and closet!!
The shower in our bathroom is tiny. My husband can...
jab0824
Re-design and renovating a tiny en-suite bath.....
and I have to steal space from the closet and the guest...
Ann
Need help with Master Bath redesign
Hi, I need help to completely redesign Master bath...
olg123
Trying to completely redesign my moms master bath.
So i have come up with multiple designs but wanted...
chase1987
Household pests - What do you have?
We are currently under siege by ants at our house....
3/4" marble on metal sink legs?
I purchased the 2 leg Palmer sink legs with rear risers...
saralines
Above entertainment centers
Need feedback on the decor (items) I have above these...
ypimentel
Help me select paint colors and bedding for my bedroom
I need help in picking wall color and coordinating...
pracheeti
Help us decide which color stool to keep, please!
We ordered these counter stools in both colors, as...
dnamama
Sponsored Products
Lynk 441421 Roll Out Double Cabinet Drawer 14W x 21D x 17H in. - 441421
$89.00 | Hayneedle
Uttermost Fascination 3-Light Chandelier
Lamps Plus
St. Louis Cardinals Canvas Laundry Bag
$14.99 | zulily
Trademark Home Four Tier Drawer Trolly
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Huntington Basket
Serena & Lily
Rev-A-Shelf Closet Organization Small Drawer Peg System 4DPS-2421
$46.18 | Home Depot
John Louis Home Woodcrest 12 in. D Closet Shelf Kit - JLH-574
$72.00 | Hayneedle
Z-Lite Bronze Caged Glass 3-light Semi-flush Mount Fixture
Overstock.com