Laminate Stairs / stair nose dilemma
tanniemoJune 12, 2013
I am planning for a remodel in a new home and plan on putting down Laminate Flooring on the main level. I would like to Laminate the stairs and second floor landing but our local laminate dealer only has overlapping stairnose which I think is the ugliest thing ever!

I need help either finding flush mounted stair nose in laminate, or finding a way to match a flush mounted hardwood/engineered hardwood stairnose to our interlocking Laminate. We are using Kentwood's Evoke brand Laminate flooring ( Anders - yellow Birch ) - apparently they make stairnose, but a google search finds no such product.

Also - is it possible to do stairs in laminate and not leave the standard gap between the floor and wall? We basically want it to look like a hard wood stair tread - no goofy laminate overlapping stairnose, no quarterround to hide gaps...

Attached is an example of the overlapping ( ugly!) stairnose, and flush stairnose. We would like our stairs to look similar to the second image attached ( painted riser, wood tread ).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Jeannie Nguyen
Hello! Did you ever get started on this project? Any updates?
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:31PM
NK Woodworking
Most any talented woodworker / stair builder could help you. I would find a local stair builder or woodworker to you. The SMA (stairway manufacturing association is a great resource). If your in the Seattle / Northwest area look us up.

We do everything custom from scratch, so I don't personally know of any off the shelf stuff that will work for you.

If you cant find what you want prefabbed, someone can always make it for you. Attached are some photos of our work.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 6:42PM
WoodStairs
If you are planning to DIY or are looking for a source then we sell the exact Stair Treads you've shown in your 2nd picture and we can customize them so that they only require a little work to make them fit precisely. http://www.woodstairs.com/stair-treads-risers/solid-stair-treads
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 4:09PM
Tread Wrap
Tread Wrap may be the answer for you. The company takes existing flooring and builds noses and rises to match. No more bulky noses that don't match. Perfection every time.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2014 at 7:51PM
harrycage
We had the same dilemma with our stairs long ago, we asked from our stair builder (it's called Allstairs) for help and they really did a great job.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2014 at 10:52PM
Dilemma on selecting laminate colour....please advise :)
I have narrowed my laminate selection to 3 options....
Bfrantic
Help transforming my carpeted floating stairs to a modern wood look
Hi. I am in a contemporary 1970's townhouse that has...
whatsgdp
Need help with stairs and wood color!
We purchased a contemporary home. blue slate entrance,...
karoom
Stairs
We have tile on stairs with a wooden edge with rug...
Yvonne Oborowsky
Laminate floors don't have matching stairnose!
We purchased our flooring. The guy asked if I wanted...
Abby Mawyer Fernandez
Sitting room lighting
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for lighting for our sitting...
brynna2112
Looking for curtains
Hi there! I am absolutely helpless with design, as...
darlinkaty
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
How to dress the Buffet?
Hello Houzzers! I need some pro help here. I just cannot...
meddr101
Need help designing a window seat.
I own a 1910 craftsman home with a beautiful 10-foot...
karencuresky