Our remodel
cljakl
June 12, 2013 in Before & After
Not finished yet, but here are some in progress pictures. We are adding approx 900 sq ft plus reconfiguring entire downstairs and part of upstairs. And yes, we are living here...
Looking forward to the ' final' pictures.
June 13, 2013 at 7:53pm   
anteportas
looks like a lot of work, greetings from germany
June 14, 2013 at 1:21am   
cljakl
It isn't an old, old house, but was a "less expensive" house built in the early 70's. so it had aluminum wiring and the plumbing was no longer covered by insurance for leaks. The front of the house was remodeled about 20 yrs ago so is well insillated but there was none any where else. Plus, there was a major beam which had twisted and was effecting floors on the second floor. We are having all the wiring replaced, the beam was replaced
(and that was a little scary to watch!) and all new plumbing (no in slab left). When it is done, we will have a library, upstairs laundry room, open concept great room/kitchen/ dining room, billiard room (fancy name for an adult game area), "California" room (otherwise known as a covered patio) and an amazing new master bath/closet. The powder room had been next to the kitchen, which I always thought was stupid, has moved
to the other side of the house with a door to the outside. The amount of destruction has been a little frighting, areas that weren't supposed to have any or very little work done, have had walls cut into for new ducting (also getting new heating and air conditioning) and wiring. We are also having an elevator put in, for health reasons. This will be my forever home!!
June 14, 2013 at 5:03am   
There's a line from the movie The Money Pit - "Are you testing missiles here"! Is it difficult to live there with all the work going on? I think that would be the hardest part for me!
June 14, 2013 at 5:20am   
cljakl
We had looked around for something new in our area, and for what we will end up with would cost well over $2 million!! Not in our budget! Everything today is built on postage stamp lots and even with the addition we could still put in a large pool if we wanted. Living here has not been easy, but we knew that going in. We have three birds and a dog and it just wouldn't have been possible to board them for the period of time necessary. It is surprising what you can cook in a toaster oven.
June 14, 2013 at 6:01am     
Toaster oven! I had a friend a long time ago, a toaster oven was all she knew! Funny :))
June 14, 2013 at 6:33am   
suzyq101
My husband and I lived for a year and a half with nothing but a microwave and an electric fryingpan, not even a fridge.crazy at the time but something to smile about now.gotta love renovating, not for the faint of heart.
June 14, 2013 at 8:21am     
cljakl
We at least have a fridge, to go with a microwave and hot plate! The grill will come out as soon as the weather improves. Our remodel is suppose to take 5 months... Definately not for the faint if heart if you chose to live in the house...but, we knew that. I think our contractor is surprised at how well we are doing.
June 14, 2013 at 9:01am     
cljakl
Oh lordy, it us going to be wild today...TWO drywall crews, plus roofers, and crew preparing to wrap exterior. Contractor wants drywall and path inspection end of this week or early next week.
June 19, 2013 at 7:35am   
cljakl
Well, mostly done, just waiting for few details (like the tub filler!) to be completed. Actually came in in less time than originally scheduled! Still working on unpacking, replacing some furniture and finding places for things. Love these four rooms!
August 28, 2013 at 1:20pm   
cljakl
The great room is very comfortable. Have to unpack the rest of the pottery for the entry way. The powder room needs a mirror, just haven't found the right one. Overall, super happy with results. Not sure to anyone else's taste, but fits us perfectly.
August 28, 2013 at 1:28pm   
Our First Home- and our first extensive remodel
Spent five months making it livable, and have continuously...
Looking for ideas to remodel our shower.
What is the size of this particular shower?
How much would it cost to remodel our whole house like tear it down
We are thinking about tearing down the whole house....
need to expand and remodel our master bedroom and bath
Just bought a house bulilt in 1969. Working on how...
liven up my entryway
Any suggestions to make the entryway more inviting...
Need help with furniture placement
I need help with furniture placement, I have a small living...
skylights or solar tubes?
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me decide...
Need Help With Deciding on Window Coverings for Master Bedroom
I have 3 windows side by side in my master bedroom,...