Can I do valences????
gogoellen
This is our dining room. Arts and crafts style DR set, light wood laminate on floor, white wooden blinds. I need to get something on the windows to help with the echoing in this house! Can I sew some valences or are valences too dated? I really use the blinds and I like them ( they are in our large breakfast nook too!). Thank you!
sondramartina
I vote NO for valances !
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 12, 2013 at 12:20PM
PH Interiors, LLC
Nothing outdated about valances but they use so little fabric they don't really help with the echo. Simple drapery panels at the sides of the windows would be much more effective. Plus they don't have to open/close so you can use less fabric. From your pics, it looks like panels that are one width (50" or so) should suffice. Hang the rod close to the ceiling too. Also, an area rug really dampens the sound.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 12, 2013 at 12:25PM
Elizabeth Hayden
The bay window is crying out for drapery panels between the windows and on each end.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 12, 2013 at 12:26PM
Mary Lou Littlejohn/Ethan Allen
I agree with PH. I would recommend doing 4 stationary drapery panels possibly in a linen texture. 2 on the outside of the windows and 2 framing the interior window. Elbow backets are pretty comon to connect the rods. An area rug with some rich earth tones will add drama to your medium to light brown wood tone. And, compliment your mission style furniture. Also, maybe stacking some artwork on either side of your china cabinet to incorporate more color and visual interest.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 12, 2013 at 12:30PM
gogoellen
That sounds great! The rod should connect, yes??? Gosh, I hadn't realized how plain the room looks without art on the walls until the pics were posted!
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:06PM
gogoellen
There is only nine inches between the right and left window and the wall. Enough room to stack?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:11PM
bluenan
A set of panels for each window so they are functional and don't look skimpy, you have room for each window to have its own pair. Hang them higher than the window, closer to the crown, and no valances!
Architecture and Interior Design
DPC Pacific Heights Residence
Traditional Bedroom
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 12, 2013 at 2:15PM
gogoellen
Thank you Bluenan for the pictures!!!!!! They all look great!!! Now I can show hubby what we need to do!!
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:29PM
bluenan
You're welcome!
    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 12, 2013 at 2:37PM
gogoellen
I will be trying to get the drapes and hardware this next week! I will post pictures! Thanks again for your help!
    Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:03AM
marthafish
I like valences, but you don't want to end up with a line, so you would need the side panels as well. Bluenan did give you some good ideas.
    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 22, 2013 at 10:09AM
Genevieve
I would add panels in between the windows .

like this

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 22, 2013 at 10:14AM
Adrianne
Maybe instead of making them functional just make them decorative so you don't have a bunch up a lot of material
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 22, 2013 at 10:17AM
gogoellen
If I hang them up next to the cornices I have going to have to HEM them! I only have 93 inches! Darn! I hope I can remember how to work my sewing machine!!
    Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:47AM
bluenan
You can do a blind hem by hand.
    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 22, 2013 at 12:34PM
cyn222
I'd go with drapery panels. More impact for the space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 22, 2013 at 12:35PM
gogoellen
Checked Home Goods tonight. They only have 84 inch panels! More shopping tomorrow!
    Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:40PM
Sigrid
I had an echoing dining room that looked like yours. I put in sill-length curtains and that was the end of the echoing. I'm a fan of curtains, i think they dress a window, but if you don't like them, you could try a rug and some tapestry-type cloth wall hangings.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:15PM
Jacquelyn Boyet
Try Target. You can order them in 96 inches. Though you would still have to hem. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:55PM
gogoellen
@Sigrid - I think a rug would be nice but my hubby hates moving a DR chair over a rug! @Jacquelyn - I will check Target! THanks!
    Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:03AM
Lots of fabric will cut down on some of the noise. And as suggested treat each window separately.

If space is a problem you could do this treatment.
Dining Area

You could do valances but put at least a to the floor panel at either end of the bay and keep the valance tailored. One valance for each window.
Family room
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    June 23, 2013 at 9:07AM
gogoellen
Sorry for the delay in following through....out of town and then got busy! From what I have learned on HOUZZ I should pick the rug first and then pick the drapes. I will do panels as suggested. I need an 8 X 10 under the table. What do you think of the attached pictures??? I would love some direction! We have lots of oriental rugs throughout the house!
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:44AM
Blinds Direct Canada
I agree I think that adding small 24'' panels to frame the windows will look amazing!
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    July 1, 2013 at 10:15AM
JMittman Designs
Echoing can be reduced by layering. If you get panels--you need lined, and preferably interlined panels. Also, note that if you are going for the looks posted above by bluenan and genevieve, you will NOT achieve that with one panel on each side of the windows. Those rooms--which are most likely custom curtains--have multiple widths of fabric in them--which is why they look so full and lush. One width of fabric is not going to give you that look.
    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    July 1, 2013 at 10:59AM
gogoellen
JMittman - what is the difference between lined and interlined panels??? I was thinking of doing a panel on each side of each window. So that will be six panels. Do you think that will be a sufficient number of panels? Any thoughts on the rugs? Thanks!
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:55AM
Interlining is a lining sandwiched between the fabric and what you normally consider a lining. It is usually a heavier material and helps with heft and insulating value of the drapes. I'm sure someone here will give you more info.
    Bookmark   Thanked by gogoellen    July 1, 2013 at 1:15PM
JMittman Designs
Deco explained interlining perfectly. It looks/feels like a heavy flannel. Really helps to create beautiful panels. I've seen interlining used in ready mades from Restoration Hardware, but most ready mades do not have interlining. Six panels sounds good.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:15PM
Trying to figure out if my valences work
I would like to use valences brought from my last home...
nodeerhere
I love this valence. Does it have a specific name?
Anyone in the Philadelphia, Bucks County area who can...
lgwclass
Curtains or Valence for Living Room windows?
Help! I don't know which way to go - valences or curtains...
Heather Spring
Need more decorating help in living room
I've posted about this room in the past but... This...
wallizgrl
Need help updating skip troweled walls
We have recently updated the majority of our home to...
decoratordebster
Need help picking out a backsplash for a wet bar.
There is a lot of color variation in the counter top,...
Sean Firlein
need help for my master bathroom layout
Walls for closet are partition walls and flexible to...
Shaynis Connor
Best Custom Cabinets for the Money
Had a hard time finding someone that has great quality...
Bill Oliver