Design for Great Room

Eric BojonellJune 12, 2013
This room will eventually have a baby grand in it so I really want to create a baroque/Victorian style but still maintain a masculine feel. This is a new home so the furniture in the picture is going. It is 10 foot ceilings and 8 inch crown molding and well lit. I know what I like when I see it, but I have a hard time putting it together from scratch. And oh yeah, looking to be cost effective ;) Thanks
denisepeng
Hi, Eric. I am trying to find some curtains you may like. The color and style may match your furniture. Here are some pics for you. For more curtains, please visit: http://www.cheerycurtains.com/ We also do children curtains.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:31AM
Cheery Curtains
what about this design?
http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyb251dd.html
Yellow Small Plaids Grommet Cotton Curtains · More Info
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:06AM
Eric Bojonell
That furniture will not be staying, so I am basically starting from scratch, though I MAY keep the color and I may keep the crown molding as a stained wood.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:53AM
kailee622
I would paint with a lighter color first
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:57PM
Warren Mullins
Yeah the furniture really bothers me, the window and paint color should stay. For that window, I thought curtains or drapes such as these.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 2:05PM
Eric Bojonell
A lighter color eh? Any ideas for a total color scheme/design?
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 6:25PM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
If you want to keep the room masculine and rich looking consider silk drapery panels in the windows that go right to the top of the window alcove on a beautiful decorative rod. If you want to keep the existing wall colour they could be a deeper shade of the blue on the walls or a brown, or a brown and blue stripe or print. Also consider painting the ceiling a lighter shade of the blue on the wall. or a colour close to the carpet if you are keeping it.

Are you planning on keeping the existing carpet or changing it to hardwood? If you do hardwood keep it in tones that would compliment the wood stain on the crown moulding and use a beautiful area rug to bring all your colours together.

Then when you are ready to purchase your new furnishing you can choose furnishings that are more in keeping with the style you want. Consider a beautiful metal and crystal chandelier above the piano.

Good luck in your new home Eric.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:14PM
Eric Bojonell
So would the curtain rod be on the outside of the alcove then? Do you any examples of how that might look?

For now the carpet is staying. I kinda like the idea of making the ceiling a shade similar to the carpet or darker, just to add contrast and also help the crown molding stick out.

The crown molding was victim of people who didn't tape when they painted blue. You can't see in picture but there is blue on the bottom of the crown molding all the way around :(
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:23PM
No, keep the curtain on the inside of the alcove, but right to the ceiling of it.

If the crown moulding already has paint on it and it's too difficult to get it off you may want to consider painting it.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:28PM
check out this photo
Grand Westchester County Estate · More Info
but mount the draperies inside the alcove.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:31PM
nwduck
Eric, you can probably get the blue paint off without impacting the finished molding by using Goof-Off. My husband wanted to paint (once) and so later (when he was not home) I just went round the woodwork with Q-tips and Goof-Off. A little time consuming, but fixed it. And he's none the wiser.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:31PM
Eric Bojonell
Yeah, I hope that's not the case, but I'm sensing it might be.

Any ideas for decor to give it a creative, yet traditional classical feel? I want it to feel cozy via lighting, but still feel open, which I think the 10 foot feelings kinda provide regardless
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:32PM
nwduck
There is a discussion buried around page 11 titled "Wall color to use" that I saw earlier today. The photo is of fabric. The woman had some pretty colorful paisley drapes that are apparently from Pier 1 (budget friendly). There is a blue in there that might go with your wall color. While she's using them for a vacation home, I could see them fitting your "artistic" idea. Sorry for not linking it or whatever, but I am completely inept at that. Breathed in too much Goof-Off most likely.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:56PM
This is a very quick sketch of what I mean with the raised panel inside the window alcove. However this would be a bit costly if you have a professional do it. You can do it with mouldings. It also shows the ceiling a bit darker and blue and brown panels so you can see how it will feel and where the draperies should be mounted.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:06PM
Eric Bojonell
Nwduck- thanks, I was actually planning to check out Pier 1

Carolyn C - very nice! What program is that? I didn't even know you could buy those panels. I'm a newbie :)
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:10PM
The program is dream draper. I just downloaded a blue and brown baroque print from google images and put it on the drapes so you could see how things would look.

Eric, if you are planning on staying in your home and want to make good decisions it would be worth considering having a local decorator come in to help you pull everything together and help you make good sound decisions. This way your entire space, your personality, likes etc. will be taken into consideration. Once you have a plan you can take your time and purchase items as you can afford them.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:14PM
Eric Bojonell
Yeah that is my plan, my aunt does that, but I am just trying to get ideas on here
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:16PM
JWinteriors
Going Baroque/victorian is all about layering and attention to details. Wood molding added to the walls, then painted..gives a paneled look. Prevalent of mens clubs back in the era. Full, rich drapes that hang from crown to floor, pulled back with a big, fringed tie back. Crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling. Leather wing back chairs with foot stool and side table with Queen Anne legs. Thick gold ornate oil paintings. Umbrella stand holding walking canes.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:28PM
pab469
I would paint the molding white. Regardless of the color you paint the wall white would compliment the room and stand out more.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:50PM
Eric Bojonell
Yeah, I was thinking the same... I just hate ruining nice stained wood :)
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 5:14AM
Design Mode
For cost effective ways to have fun and create a masculine Victorian room, I would collect articles that represent that era, in a whimsical and classic way. Try to find a tufted sofa, carved wooden chair, and clean-lined contemporary lounge chairs in graphic/victorian patterns. Your lighting could be in industrial metals that are in style now, with Victorian shapes. Instead of taxidermed animal heads displayed around the room, you could find metal or ceramic deer heads for your wall. Instead of a huge dark oil painting of a horse, get a horse-themed conteporary piece - like the pic below. For a piano throw, you could have modern fabrics, and rather than a bust, create a funky Beethoven doing yoga statue.
I agree with JWinteriors that it's all about the layering and details. Just remember that eventually this over-stuffed feeling led to the rebellion of the clean-lined modern era!
Simply find an antique and apply contemporary fabric & paint, or use contemporary furnishings & collectibles with a Victorian flair.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 6:24AM
Eric Bojonell
Yeah I definitely like the feel of the room in the upper right. It still has Victorian character, but its not too busy. What are those moldings called that create that paneled look?
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 6:32AM
vacox
Fun discussion! Eric, I like Carolyn's drapery fabric a lot. And I do like the blue paint. Depending on the furniture plan, I might suggest mounting the curtains on the outside of the alcove, though. Are you planning to put the piano at that spot? Do you need to have privacy sheers or blinds at that window, or do you intend to have it open most of the time? Here are some photos of what I mean for drapery placement. Some use the short rods so the drapes are just framing, the one has the rod the whole way; either way can be nice. I think this makes the window look bigger and opens out the room. Can you give us some more pics? Nice room. And what color will the piano be?

Jupiter Real Estate · More Info

York Living Room · More Info

Campbleville Home · More Info
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:06AM
Eric Bojonell
I cant get more pics until we close and the owner is moved out =) We got some quick pictures during the home inspection. I kinda like the curtains on the inside of the alcove better, simply because it adds more depth to the room because of the visibility of the alcove sides.(though I really like that Campbleville Home) As far as privacy, probably not 100% private. I feel blinds kinda of add a little bit too much modern to a room intended to take you back a bit, but im not a designer, so I don't know what kind of blinds are out there. The piano probably would sit on an angle in front of that window with the keys facing you as you walk in the room...like a subtle invitation to come play. It will be a shiny black one. I have looked at brown natural wood, and despite that being more traditional, I just don't like them as much as that mirror like black finish. ALTHOUGH...a white one would look great against those curtains =) But probably much more pricey
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:12AM
vacox
Oh, and about piano placement: I wanted to move our grand piano to in front of a similar window space, but my husband rejected that because of drafts and sunlight (it was also closer to the front door), which would be bad for the piano. Our piano is in use a lot by all of us in the family, not just for show. If you're using yours, which I assume you are, think about its location also so that the side that opens faces the room (for sound and it also looks better). It seems like common sense but I managed to mess that up (fixed now thanks to people on Houzz--then my husband says "well of course!").... lol
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:13AM
Eric Bojonell
Well then...I guess there goes my piano placement Idea....however there are two large entrances into the room, so either angle and placement will work. That window is also facing east, so most of the strong sunlight and longest sunlight wont be hitting that window TOO much.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:15AM
vacox
Our comments crossed--sounds like you have the piano placement well thought out. And I think shiny black is good--I have a red mahogany and I wish it were black. My piano had been used for a concert, so i got it at a substantial discount from the piano store. The Steinway dealer provided new pianos for concerts, and then they were "used" so I got a good deal on the red one. Mine's a Boston, not a Steinway though. I think the curtains will look great inside the alcove too--just wanted to give an alternate idea. :-)
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:18AM
michigammemom
Eric, to keep the room masculine, I'd dial back on the highly embellished window treatments. I love the neutral but rich color scheme in this elegant room. A tufted Chesterfield sofa and generously proportioned chairs are perfect!
Brentwood · More Info
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:19AM
vacox
Mainly you want to avoid drafts; talk to the piano dealer about it, they'll know the best. I'm not sure why the sunlight was an issue, whether it's the heat or worry about fading. Now that I type that, it's probably the heat from the sunlight. Changes in temperature cause the instrument to go out of tune faster.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:21AM
vacox
Here's an informative article I should have read long ago.... argh. http://www.pianofinders.com/faqs/ownersfaq.htm
1 Like    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:28AM
Eric Bojonell
Mmm...decisions decisions. I like that Brentwood room for the overall sensibilities of it! I will probably stick to moderation with embellishments. I don't like TOO much, but I do like some. Wood floor with a throw is a nice touch too, but I still have the rest of the home to consider...HA, cant do it all at once.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:30AM
We are trying to design a Great Room and face the dilemma...
vikkiandharold
Floor design help for great room.
I would love to get some opinions on how to best arrange...
rivelu22
advice requested
Our question pertains to uniformity of design. Our...
mocarty
Designing a Small "Great Room"
It is not actually a great room, but shaped more like...
Laura Nagel
Help designing a giant great room/formal dining area
I need some help to try and figure out what to do with...
krystal ♥
New color cabinets
Custom cabinets or large manufacturer if you want painted...
murph1963
I'm almost scared to post this dilemma
There's a long backstory but it ends like this...the...
keirat
Tips please
I love decorating my house. Normally I redecorate one...
kazetem
What to do with this fireplace?
This fireplace is in the living room of our new-to-us...
Susan Taylor Brown