Need help picking a grout color
Deb Runningamok-Entwistle
Small bathroom, bottom tile 3x 6 crackle bevel (gloss) biscuit subway, upper half matte biscuit herringbone, joints 3/16", grout close to the color of the tile or darker
Lighter grout colors are usually used for wall tiles.
June 12, 2013 at 6:52pm   
Genevieve
White
June 12, 2013 at 6:54pm   
Lord Designs
Keep it light , where it is a small space and a good amount of tile you need to have to grout that is subtle otherwise a dark grout would be too distracting for the eye in a small space.
June 12, 2013 at 7:03pm   
Deb Runningamok-Entwistle
Bright white is lightest (this is custom grout) or alabaster-the darkest of the whites, should I use the same grout color in the chair rails (these are artic white), I spend alot of money on the tile and labor for the herringbone, I want it to be the focal point
June 12, 2013 at 7:11pm   
Wendy Hamilton
I like the way it looks now, so I would say dark grey
June 12, 2013 at 7:28pm     
bluenan
These examples show that if you want the herringbone to stand out you'll need to go darker with the grout. Btw, I LOVE herringbone subway tile!
New Construction
Classic Transformation
June 12, 2013 at 8:07pm     
Portico Tile & Fixtures, Inc.
I agree with Wendy, a light to medium grey. You have obviously spent a lot of money and time on this layout, why make the patterns and sizes disappear with a light grout?
June 12, 2013 at 8:07pm   
Christine Thomas
I agree with a light gray. If you keep everything in those neutral colors redoing your accessories can change your colors when ever you feel the need for change.
June 13, 2013 at 5:56am   
I am with Genevieve- white.
June 13, 2013 at 6:00am   
restoredtreasurestoo
Why wouldn't you want it to match the bottom grout? I love the look of the dark, and I guess it would depend on the look your going for. From what I've seen, in very old homes, they used dark grout. But I have always loved that look:)
June 13, 2013 at 6:17am     
lou simmons
What's the floor going to be? Go grey! Too bad your shower valve wasn't a couple of inches higher.
June 13, 2013 at 6:22am   
Stoneshop
I would keep it light. Choose a color that matches the tile as closely as possible.
June 13, 2013 at 6:38am   
handymam
I think it could go either way, but what is the rest of your house like? If it is contemporary, you might like the light, but in a historical home, the grout was darker becuse that is what they used back then.

Great tiling job whatever you decide.
June 13, 2013 at 6:52am   
0825sam
I like the contrast. I think bluenan's photos have given you a good visual of the herringbone (LOVE) disappearing if you match the grout to the tile.
June 13, 2013 at 7:05am   
Marilyn Wilkie
I see two shades of white tile here. I would match the grout color to the tile below to tie them together. The upper tile is more of an ivory and the lower tile is a brighter white.
June 13, 2013 at 7:09am     
Restoring our 1890 Victorian
we did white for our subway tile...wanted to keep it bright. although, I do think dark contrast is very pretty.
Some photos of the finished bathroom:

June 13, 2013 at 7:13am   
winterriver
With biscuit colored tiles, I suggest you use almond or a very light tan. I'm thinking of something with just enough contrast to highlight the herringbone pattern and the shape of the lower tiles. If you go with a high contrast dark color, the grout lines would draw the eye too much and the beveled shape and crackling of the lower tiles wouldn't be the focus. White grout would make the biscuit tiles look off-color or dirty, and gray would clash with the warmth of the biscuit color.

My tiny bath has a warm (but not as warm as biscuit) white flat subway tile wainscot and shower. I tried lots of colors with it, and chose Spectralock Almond grout for the soft contrast. SpectraLock is an epoxy grout that is more expensive but it is stainproof and never need sealing -- worth it!

A sample board is key with any grout choice. You really can't tell exactly what it will look like with just a tiny grout piece.
June 13, 2013 at 7:23am     
Marilyn Wilkie
Restoring Our 1890 Victorian, your bathroom is absolutely beautiful!! I am just knocked out by your shower fixture! So elegant. And the register cover is perfect! We too are using white grout for our subway tiles in our kitchen.
June 13, 2013 at 7:24am     
Restoring our 1890 Victorian
@Marilyn- Thank you!! I was OBSESSED with that dial... It lived in my head for three years, before we even started the bath!!
June 13, 2013 at 7:33am     
Sarah
I love the tile work! We're going to redo our small master bath in a similar fashion. If you'd like a different take on grout, check out this Ideabook:

See especially the comment by Beth Bathe (it's quite a ways down in the comments). She chose a taupe grout for the white subway tile, which looks quite nice. Good luck!
June 13, 2013 at 8:27am   
Deb Runningamok-Entwistle
the shower and bathroom floor tile, have tons from a clearance sale, it leans towards the browns, having difficulty finding a grout with the slightest touch of almond, would say my style is traditional, do want the pattern to pop, like @bluenan picture #1
June 13, 2013 at 9:57pm   
Deb Runningamok-Entwistle
Sarah-thanks for the ideabook, ie Beth Bathe, have picked 3 grouts for trial run with extra tile, alabaster is one of them, shoutout to Joanie at Daltile in Phoenix for pattern design, i fell for the super expensive but gorgeous crackle bevel tile and she took it from there. Grout choice is tough, but crucial....im learning
June 13, 2013 at 10:32pm     
Deb Runningamok-Entwistle
tomorrow is d-day have to pick a grout color for the walls, here are my 3 options from dark to light, bone, antique white, alabaster, doesnt look this hard on TV ;)
June 16, 2013 at 11:54am   
Walter Casiano
Bone
June 16, 2013 at 3:07pm   
Close to color of grout.
June 16, 2013 at 3:08pm   
Walter Casiano
If you go dark eventually you're going to get tired of all the lines, :-/
June 16, 2013 at 3:09pm   
need help picking grout color for backsplash
Trying to decide on what color to do grout. A brownish...
Need help picking right color grout for ceramic tile floor
Building new 2 story Perry Home. Open floor plan. Bottom...
Need help picking grout color glass tiles
My backsplash is mirage glass linear tiles In marble...
Need help picking out a grout color
I am using bone white subway tile on my shower wall...
Need help picking out grout for Crema Marfil polished marble!
What colored grout goes best with Crema Marfil polished...
Trying to track down paint color!
Hi! My daughter would like to paint her room the color...
Pink trim or stop now?
I am decorating my 7 year old daughters 1st room as...
trim
What color should the quarter-round molding be when...
Update my foyer please!
Our home was built in 1900 and is a classic American...
Would you take down the front porch?
I don't think the front porch is original and would...