Could a over the range kenmore that vents out the top be placed under a cabinet .
mom4herkiddosJune 12, 2013
The bottom vent is strictly for the stove and the actual vent for the microwave at the top behind the door.
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Most over the range microwave ovens are designed for venting at the top, the back, and recirculating. The default set up is to vent through the top, by simply turning the blower assembly it is easily converted to recirculating which blows air back into the room. A charcoal filter is available from the manufacturer for this application, standard grease filters are usually included.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:19PM
mom4herkiddos
Thanks norm so are you say I could do this? I believe it could be done as for the bottom
Will not be needed since the stove is not going to be a part of this operation. It is a kenmore and the microwave vent blows directly out the top right behind the door in the front.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 2:15AM
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Yes, but you can't block the bottom as that is the air intake.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:37AM
mom4herkiddos
Would 4 inches be enough or the top and bottom. This is in an island where at the back side an additional air vent could be added. Installation calls for 17 inches but that is for venting over a stove per the manual. We are not using a stove.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:51AM
mom4herkiddos
I really appreciate your input as this is going to end up in small claims.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:53AM
Fred S
Could you show the cabinet plan that was approved before ordering?
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:04PM
mom4herkiddos
Cabinet company didn't make cabinet big enough regardless. They never followed the dimensions of physicals microwave. They were told it was like a kenmore and assumed it was a kenmore elite built i microwave. The client requested several times before granite was set for them to come out to help figure how to install microwave. They kept saying tomorrow. Well granite came and then they decided to show up. Well they discovered that this microwave was not a built in and refuses to fix their mistake.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:34PM
mom4herkiddos
This is the model kenmore 72185033111
Manufacturer does not have a warning that I can find only that it needs 17 inch clearance over a stove. I'm using the stove. Sears says you can use it on the counter. So I don't see what the big deal is.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:38PM
Fred S
Why would someone use an over the range microwave under the counter top? This makes no sense. Did you suggest that the client do such an ill conceived thing? You did say client didn't you?
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:40PM
mom4herkiddos
I'm not using stove sorry that was typo.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:41PM
mom4herkiddos
It's was purchased by mistake and can't be returned and the client was me. When I speak as client we worked through contractor first and we ended the relationship negatively.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:44PM
Fred S
Oh, so the mistake was the microwave purchase and not the cabinet size?
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:49PM
mom4herkiddos
Ill conceived or not this microwave dimension is identical to the kenmore elite convection microwave built in combination. The problem was we were mislead by our contractor who we fired in the middle of $120000.00 remodel. and was purchased 6 months and kept in storage. The cabinet company didn't ask for a model number but for dimension. They were given the correct dimension but chose to make a box for a 27 inch built in kenmore.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:58PM
Fred S
But that is the size cabinet that is on the plan you approved when ordering cabinets, correct?
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 1:03PM
mom4herkiddos
They did not ask for model number only dimension. We gave them dimension and they made a to small of box. if I had the Right 30 inch built in kenmore convection micro combo it still wouldn't fit. I didn't really sign off it was all email and I wrote a check for half. The problem is they mid measured an upper and made it to large and fixed no problem but because the granite is installed they are saying tuff luck.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:16PM
mom4herkiddos
Thank you everyone for all your effort and advice. It will be amazing when I get this project done.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:12PM
mom4herkiddos
Fred S I want you to understand that 1. I didn't sign off on the cabinets. 2. I didn't give them a model number , I gave them dimensions regardless of my microwave being an ill fit, their box doesn't fit my dimensions I gave. So if I wanted to exchange for the elite microwave convection combo I can't because they made it to small. Now do you get it? Thanks but its not my fault, I don't build kitchens I buy them. Any person with 35 years experience gets a dimension of 30x16x16 should know that's not going to fit in a standard built in 30 in cabinet with a 28 in opening. Thank you.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:26PM
Over-The-Range Microwave with finished side
Does anyone know of an over-the-range microwave that...
mariob
Replacing over-the-range microwave leads to complete remodel?
Our 1997 over-the-range microwave died. We've searched...
stephmal
Love backsplash especially over range.
Could you tell me the color and kind? Also is counter...
s4newt
windows over cooking range and oven....
Can I put my kitchen range under counter level windows?...
lrress
Do you think I will like an OVER THE RANGE Microwave?
We are completely remodeling our small (is a 12 ft...
sarabeth2
Nursery wall art - how high to hang?!? Please help a first timer!
Hi all! - I'm hanging 8 different little animals in...
bonnieanneryan
side table advice
Hi there! I'm looking for side tables that would blend...
Sarah
What goes with this chair?
I need help figuring out what to out with my new chair!...
wapusk99
Need colour inspiration for updated living room
Last summer we put new laminate in, painted our walls,...
Brandy
Will a 30 inch wall oven fit in a 30 inch wide cabinet?
I would like to purchase the new 30 inch professional...
gharris8