Paint Color Suggestions
Christina
Looking for suggestions on wall paint in this bathroom. Floor is slate---grays, browns and some gold. I think something more dramatic than the yellow would be nice. Metallic paint?
Lord Designs
becuase you have a slate floor if you want the room to look cohesive you should stick with slightly warmer tones a metallic is not so much. I would suggest looking at California Paint for a rich grey , try gray wolf. If this is too dark stardust. bright can be accomplished with the right tonal value. also California paint is produced right in Andover mass and they are only sold at small independent hardware stores in New England. If you have trouble locating call the main office in Andover Ma for help. Keeping it local"
June 13, 2013 at 4:30AM     
inkwitch
Search houzz for bathrooms with metallic walls. Note the flooring and fixtures. Personally (for what that's worth), I don't think a metallic will work, and trust me, it is the most difficult to achieve and look right! Easy to mess up, so I recommend a professional painter.

Personally (again, ??), I'd do chocolate or navy upper with white. Some interesting art and a wire basket of handtowels. Post a photo of finished room; we'd all love to see.
June 13, 2013 at 4:51AM     
michigammemom
I have a similar floor in my foyer and powder room. Take a look at Benjamin Moore Tyler Taupe for a richer, deeper gold.
June 13, 2013 at 5:00AM     
schylar
A lite or dark blue
June 13, 2013 at 5:03AM   
charliebeth
Not sure how you can get more "dramatic" than that bright and happy yellow, but I agree that another paint color is warranted. I love the taupe suggestion above, or something in a warm gray. Beautiful floor!
June 13, 2013 at 5:26AM   
I agree that the yellow isn't quite right, and the Tyler Taupe looks perfect. And thank you for closing the toilet seat lid before snapping your pic! Nice, clean bathroom, good job!
June 13, 2013 at 5:30AM     
If you are looking for drama, I would go with a dark chocolate! Add some blue accessories.
June 13, 2013 at 5:47AM   
How about a rusted orange with grey accents and then bronze fixtures. This would certainly be dramatic and pick up the colours of your lovely floor
June 13, 2013 at 5:50AM   
elklaker
I was thinking that chocolate would be perfect as well. I recently painted my powder room a yummy chocolate brown and I absolutely love it. Very dramatic.
June 13, 2013 at 5:52AM   
smdrovetto
Yes, I think the bright yellow is sort of too "primary" against a stone floor. I think your desire for a metallic finish is a sense of wanting to do something with some dimension. I think a paint effect would work well in the room, and compliment the texture, and richness of a real stone floor. Martha Stewart sells (at Home Depot) metallic glazes, and COOL stensils. (Not like ones you've seen. I did a bath cabinet that was medium oak, with McKloskey products, and use a formula card that required an orange brown paint undercoat, and a maroon glaze that was beautiful. Then I added a copper glaze, waxed it, and everybody commented on it. Check out different wall treatments that will give the dimension and richness you want.
June 13, 2013 at 7:29AM     
dianahb
I think a rich deep blue, as someone mentioned above, or a blue/gray mid tone would be beautiful with that floor and all the white. I have a bathroom with a black slate floor, and I actually had the room painted a deep gold color-- less yellow and more golden-- but the effect similar to yours-- and when the sheetrock needed some re-hanging/taping, I decided to change the wall color at that time, too. I changed it to Ben Moore's "Gossamer Blue," and I cannot tell you how much that change in paint color transformed this entire bath. So while my slate floor is black-- I still think blues or blue/grays would be beautiful against your slate floor and all the white surround. A deep blue would be dramatic and really nice, too, though.

Love the floor and - honestly-- I think finding a color that complements that-- really bringing out the beauty of the floor-- would be more effective than changing the focal point to a textured and/or metallic wall finish. Just my thought.
June 13, 2013 at 7:36AM   
carolins
Chocolate brown or the suggested taupe colour would be beautiful I think. A more dramatic mirror and perhaps a chandelier of some sort, if there's height enough. Or another dramatic light fixture.
June 13, 2013 at 7:38AM   
Genevieve
June 13, 2013 at 7:44AM     
Jody Sokol Design
I also think a lovely gray with some blue undertones in it would be quite striking!
June 13, 2013 at 7:47AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, per michigam. Sherwin-Williams SW 7508 Tavern Taupe --
June 13, 2013 at 9:31AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, per Geneveeve, SW 6127 Ivoire --
June 13, 2013 at 9:34AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, SW 7595 Sommelier --
June 13, 2013 at 9:41AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, per Carolins, SW 6110 Steady Brown --
June 13, 2013 at 9:45AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, SW 6096 Jute Brown --
June 13, 2013 at 9:48AM     
Summer Rose
Ed, how do you do that?
June 13, 2013 at 9:51AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, per inkwitch (chocolate-y) -- SW 6096 French Roast --
June 13, 2013 at 9:52AM     
Ed
Hi Summer Rose, both Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore have their little software at their websites for trying out paint colors --
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/#
June 13, 2013 at 9:53AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, I agree with CharlieBeth -- bright and happy yellow is already very dramatic. But let's try some other "dramatic" colors -- SW 6892 Carnival --
June 13, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Yes a metallic gold would work with floors.
June 13, 2013 at 9:58AM   
Ed
Hi TravisInteriors, do you happen to have a suggestion of a metallic gold from the SW palettes ?
June 13, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, another "dramatic" choice -- SW 6864 Cherry Tomato --
June 13, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, here's SW 6670 Gold Crest --
June 13, 2013 at 10:04AM   
anne dee
Powder Room
does this color count as "drama"? clic under pic for paint color

Lakeside Remodel
June 13, 2013 at 10:05AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, Anne Dee's Powder Room -- wall paint is Pratt & Lambert Dansburry Downs 33-22.
June 13, 2013 at 10:10AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, Anne Dee's Lakeside Remodel bathroom wall paint is SW 7046 Anonymous --
June 13, 2013 at 10:12AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, here's SW 6467 Kendal Green --
June 13, 2013 at 10:20AM   
Ed
Hi Christina, per schylar & DianaHB, SW 6510 Loyal Blue --
June 13, 2013 at 10:24AM   
sstarr
You could tile it with a large-format Italian metallic tile: Workshop by Mirage Granito Ceramico. Comes in shades of silver, copper, etc.
June 13, 2013 at 10:29AM   
anne dee
thanks Ed! ;)
June 13, 2013 at 11:03AM     
Ed
Hi Anne, you're welcome! :)
June 13, 2013 at 11:18AM     
smdrovetto
Looking at all the treatment examples, it struck me that the white wainscoting against the white fixtures, looks a little anemic next to the rich flooring. The darker colors on the walls looked the best (except "Fench Roast" looked a little too dark)

It's almost like the colors are too dark or too light, because the "white strip" in-between, kind of gets lost. I think the small bathroom in one of the photos that was dark gray looks fantastic. The example next to it was nice,too. They both look very sophisticated, and painting a small room a dark color can look really fantastic.

I don't know if the dark gray would be good with the floor, but maybe a transitional color for the wainscoting, like the first example..........................It is a small bathroom, and just paint. I would take a chance, and be as bold as you want to be. What did Erma Bombeck, the famous humorist and newspaper columnist, say when she was ill?.............I wish I'd chosen the white sofa I really loved, instead of the boring beige that wouldn't show the dirt............
June 13, 2013 at 3:35PM     
Keitha
I like this!
June 13, 2013 at 3:54PM     
Christina
You have all been so helpful! Thank you so very much for your suggestions! I really appreciate the advice and images.
June 14, 2013 at 6:45AM     
Ed
Hi Christina, you're very welcome! Please keep us updated with your new bathroom photos! :)
June 14, 2013 at 5:40PM   
smdrovetto
You're welcome! I think your bath is darling, and I know it is a lot of work. I'd love to see what you decide to do.
You've done a good job so far!
June 14, 2013 at 6:13PM   
kitchen/ laundry room color ideas
I'm painting some good quality cabinets in a second...
Master Bedroom redesign
I'm looking for suggestions on how to design this master...
What's in your fall garden?
Have you gotten started? Are you already knee deep...
Color
My couch is a smoke grey my wall is in the brown family...