Should I get new cabinets?
maggie422
We are completely remodeling this hall bath. New bath tile, getting rid of the light box, getting rid of the column, new countertop, but keeping the half wall and keeping the floor tile.
I was planning on getting new Shaker-style cabinets and having them painted white. The cabinets will be custom made since Home Depot doesn't sell this size (43.75") as a stock item. Now, I'm rethinking it because, the current style is not that different from white Shaker to begin with. What do you think? Should I keep what I have and just change out the hardware (to brushed nickel)? Any other ideas on how to freshen this up?
What I don't like about it is that the two side doors would have been great as drawers instead of shelves - they're narrow and deep. The side doors have a shelf in the middle. These are the original cabinets from 1982.
Also, I'd make them taller. The current height to the top of the counter is 31.5". Currently, my 7 yr old and 3 yr old use this bath. And, I'm seeing we'll be here for 10 years.
What I like about new cabinets is that I can make a drawer on the bottom of the center cabinet. I think center cabinets with one opening have so much wasted space.
Cost of new, unpainted cabinets, installed is $455.
Posting two pictures of the bathroom, a picture from a catalog showing a bottom drawer in the center, and a picture from Houzz of what I like.
Thanks everyone!
houssaon
Keep the cabinets and change the hardware, unless the functionality of the new cabinets is more important.
June 14, 2013 at 12:30AM   
Victoria
How about changing the hardware, filling the holes where the handle was on the side doors and switching it to the top? try a product like this to turn it into a pull out unit.

June 14, 2013 at 12:37AM   
Go for the new cabinet. $455 is a pretty good price for something custom, and if you don't do it now while you're remodeling anyway, you'll always have second thoughts about what you didn't do.
June 14, 2013 at 4:12AM     
Judy M
If you take down the half wall on left of vanity would you have space for a 45 inch wide vanity, you will gain storage drawers and have the new height vanity as well.
One of the other posters bowed a bathroom layout like tours without the wall on left.
June 14, 2013 at 4:37AM   
maggie422
@victoria That's what I was thinking, to get slide outs. But, I only have 6" clearance.
June 14, 2013 at 4:51AM   
maggie422
@judy m - I like the half wall for privacy, for putting stuff on. And if we take it out, we'd have to fix that part of the floor tile.
June 14, 2013 at 5:10AM   
Sarah Bernardy Design
Go for the new cabinet. A small price to pay for something you'll be completely happy with. Retrofitting the interior of your existing cabinet wouldn't take much, but once you spend the time, money and energy to make these changes are you still going to want what the new cabinet offers? All signs point to yes.
June 14, 2013 at 5:39AM     
Sarah, I totally agree!....Bobbi
June 14, 2013 at 5:40AM   
apple_pie_order
The more drawers, the more useful the vanity. Side drawers work well. A center drawer under the plumbing may get wet when there are leaks. And kids may pull it out to stand on.

On related remodelling: teen boys (and they will be teens eventually) need electric outlets to plug gadgets into. Shavers, hairdryers, Waterpiks. Put one electric outlet on each side to avoid disputes and avoid draping cords over the sink. Use the 4-plug kind, GFCI of course. Also, they need storage. Perhaps there is a medicine cabinet that will look good here.
June 14, 2013 at 6:52AM     
I need help picking the right granite for my kitchen
We have painted, put M marble down and now I'm having...
need simple accessory ideas for very high ledge in florida home
our remodeled florida kitchen/family room is almost...
Black (venetian) blinds: fabulous or folly?
I love the look of black venetian wood-painted blinds....
What color white with espresso
Love the mix of white and espresso cabinet look. Just...
Need help with cabinet colour and backsplash
We bought a beautiful house BUT the kitchen is not...