Need help with our fireplace
shanleigh123
June 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this house and would appreciate any ideas regarding the fireplace area. Should we change the tile, use different paint colors or replace the fireplace screen with a new one, etc.? Thank you for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbpnfl
I would definitely redo the fireplace. It's the main focal point of the room! The white tile looks more like bathroom floor tile epically the way it was laid. Also the brass screen is very dated. I would replace the tile with a stone and maybe even bring it all the way up to the ceiling. I'd put a more substantial mantle in maybe made of wood. It really depends on the look your trying to create. Good luck and happy remodeling!
1 Like   June 13, 2013 at 5:19PM
kath203
I would have a carpenter look at it and build around the fireplace to cover the tile up. Perhaps have a box built under the fire box as a raised hearth is so great for viewing the fire. Add a thick mantle.cover with air stone product for a stone fireplace for a casual look. Or if needing a more formal look, have wood trim with new tiles.
1 Like   June 13, 2013 at 6:30PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Can you please give us an idea of your style. This would help you get suggestions more taylored to your style.
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 6:33PM
shanleigh123
Contemporary
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 7:36PM
shanleigh123
Thank you for the help!
0 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 8:11AM
felixgrantham
Definitely redo. If you want to keep a wood surround, you need a larger, more substantial one. You can probably just Krylon the brass surround. Try it, then use the FP a few time to see if the paint stays on.
0 Likes   Thanked by shanleigh123    June 14, 2013 at 8:26AM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Shanleigh123, this is just a quick rendering to show you how it would look done differently. There are many different possibilities. You can see that by taking panels to the ceiling along with the fireplace the room feels much taller.

It would be worth your while to have a local decorator or designer come in an help you define the look you want and come up with some drawings. Completely changing the fireplace would require a bit of an investment and you want to ensure that the scale and design are exactly what you want. Create an idea book of all the fireplaces you love so that if you do get professional help, or enlist the services of a contractor they are aware of what you would like the finished fireplace to look like.

Good luck.
0 Likes   Thanked by shanleigh123    June 14, 2013 at 7:15PM
Keitha
The actual fireplace opening just looks like its floating in space. The entire fireplace needs to be reworked and I would suggest a raised hearth to help with proportions.
0 Likes   Thanked by shanleigh123    June 14, 2013 at 7:40PM