Need help with our fireplace
shanleigh123
We just bought this house and would appreciate any ideas regarding the fireplace area. Should we change the tile, use different paint colors or replace the fireplace screen with a new one, etc.? Thank you for your help!
jbpnfl
I would definitely redo the fireplace. It's the main focal point of the room! The white tile looks more like bathroom floor tile epically the way it was laid. Also the brass screen is very dated. I would replace the tile with a stone and maybe even bring it all the way up to the ceiling. I'd put a more substantial mantle in maybe made of wood. It really depends on the look your trying to create. Good luck and happy remodeling!
1 Like   June 13, 2013 at 5:19PM
kath203
I would have a carpenter look at it and build around the fireplace to cover the tile up. Perhaps have a box built under the fire box as a raised hearth is so great for viewing the fire. Add a thick mantle.cover with air stone product for a stone fireplace for a casual look. Or if needing a more formal look, have wood trim with new tiles.
1 Like   June 13, 2013 at 6:30PM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Can you please give us an idea of your style. This would help you get suggestions more taylored to your style.
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 6:33PM
shanleigh123
Contemporary
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 7:36PM
shanleigh123
Thank you for the help!
0 Likes   June 14, 2013 at 8:11AM
felixgrantham
Definitely redo. If you want to keep a wood surround, you need a larger, more substantial one. You can probably just Krylon the brass surround. Try it, then use the FP a few time to see if the paint stays on.
0 Likes   Thanked by shanleigh123    June 14, 2013 at 8:26AM
Shanleigh123, this is just a quick rendering to show you how it would look done differently. There are many different possibilities. You can see that by taking panels to the ceiling along with the fireplace the room feels much taller.

It would be worth your while to have a local decorator or designer come in an help you define the look you want and come up with some drawings. Completely changing the fireplace would require a bit of an investment and you want to ensure that the scale and design are exactly what you want. Create an idea book of all the fireplaces you love so that if you do get professional help, or enlist the services of a contractor they are aware of what you would like the finished fireplace to look like.

Good luck.
0 Likes   Thanked by shanleigh123    June 14, 2013 at 7:15PM
Keitha
The actual fireplace opening just looks like its floating in space. The entire fireplace needs to be reworked and I would suggest a raised hearth to help with proportions.
0 Likes   Thanked by shanleigh123    June 14, 2013 at 7:40PM
Need help with our fireplace in our odd shaped living room!
We recently bought our first condo and would like to...
bisepourtoi
need help for our fireplace
We need to put something better on our mantle. The...
elainemeyers
Need help with our fireplace design!
Unusual stone fireplace in 1920's Mediterranean. We...
Andrea V
I need help designing a fireplace for our carpenter.
The fireplace and mantle will be centered in the family...
nicolecapone
Need help with where to mount lighted make up mirror
We are remodeling our master bathroom and don't know...
jimnancy1
13" RH benson pendants too big??
So I got a great deal on these 13"satin nickel benson...
timglidden
Kitchen Cabinets - Crown Molding- Yes or No?????
Well you guys have done an amazing job on my remodel....
klekas65
Need help with paint color for a very dark bedroom.
My 14 x 14 master bedroom is very dark. It has one...
homeinmontana