Master bedroom help!
n3wyawk
We just built a house so it's a blank canvas. I fell in love with this pottery barn duvet (lucianna medallion) and pretty much painted around that! The headboard I made myself ()...no it's decorating I'm having trouble with! I was thinking a creamy sheer curtain? Just because the walls are dark. A chandelier? A vinyl quote over the headboard? I think I may replace the hardware on the dressers to something less contemporary/modern...
Patricia Kent
Creamy sheers would be way boring! Introduce another warmer color with more pillows and valance/drapes. Definately more interesting hardware on the dressers. Everything in the room is so square, add a round mirror or soft curves.
June 13, 2013 at 5:27pm     
June 13, 2013 at 5:40pm     
printesa
I would do sheers that are either blue like your walls or white. I can't really tell how dark the walls are, but a light gray-blue would go well.
June 13, 2013 at 5:45pm     
anne dee

another for new ideas!
June 13, 2013 at 6:18pm     
Mark
Love this bedroom. White linen drapes, with woven or matchstick blinds. A nice rod iron chandelier. Sunburst mirror above the bed.
June 14, 2013 at 4:35am     
carolins
Don't you have nightstands? Bedside tables with lamps on them(pref. not matching ones) , Roman shades (Pottery Barn)...
June 14, 2013 at 4:51am     
Sheers aren't going to block much light, I like the Roman shades carolins suggests.
June 14, 2013 at 5:02am     
andrewdesigninc
Nice job on the headboard. I do like the idea of long curtains on your window/windows though since the window is such a nice size for a bedroom it deserves a more formal look of drapes and a nice drapery rod and the matchstick blind mark suggested would add some nice texture to your room as well. I'm not fond of quotes on walls period so a mirror or a grouping of pictures above the bed would be nice
June 14, 2013 at 5:16am     
You could actually do both the sheers and the Roman shades, that would be a very pretty look.
June 14, 2013 at 5:18am     
carolins
Or Roman shades with curtains. Very luxurious!
June 14, 2013 at 5:21am     
Carolins - Roman shades and linen curtains! I love that!....Bobbi
June 14, 2013 at 5:24am     
Sarah Bernardy Design
I would start with a privacy shade first that blocks out light, this could be a fabric shade like a Roman or for a less expensive option a roller shade. Then layer with sheer panels or solid panels in an accent color that you can work onto the bed in pillows. It all depends on the look you are going for, light and airy or rich and dramatic. Not certain of the colors you have exactly, but a deeper eggplant that helps pull in the deep wood color of your dresser would add some warmth to the bed. Add night stands, a pair of lamps and the wall decorations will fall into place once you have selected these items.
June 14, 2013 at 5:25am     
n3wyawk
@carolins...the X table is what I want!!! But it's sold out! Where did you find it? Overstock?
June 14, 2013 at 6:09am   
June 14, 2013 at 6:43am     
n3wyawk
Wow same EXACT table (except it was Ethan Allen) was on overstock for months before we moved in for $159/each! Thanks for the link!
June 14, 2013 at 6:51am     
Mark
Nice table choice carolins !
June 14, 2013 at 7:05am     
Color Zen
You are really close! I was thinking of accents just like Mark's suggestions/photo. You need a mirror above the bed to reflect light, a shiny glass chandelier of some sort, artwork, and simple curtain panels in white or gray (if you work in gray). It should turn out very nicely with a few touches. Good luck!
June 14, 2013 at 7:21am     
carolins
n3wyawk, I did find it at Pottery Barn. Online only :-)
June 14, 2013 at 7:26am     
carolins
Thanks Mark :-)
June 14, 2013 at 7:27am     
skintypeunique
Add pictures on the wall also some decor
June 14, 2013 at 7:30am     
rtpatel83
I like the color on the wall. Can u tell me the name please?
June 14, 2013 at 7:43am     
n3wyawk
Thanks! Sherwin Williams Steely Gray in a satin finish...the pics I posted don't do it any justice. I love it!
June 14, 2013 at 8:05am   
n3wyawk
The suggestions I've received are awesome! I'm going on an decor hunt today!
June 14, 2013 at 8:07am   
Eric M Schiabor Artist and Residential Designer
I Think adding a painting would be nice
June 14, 2013 at 8:22am     
n3wyawk
Any thoughts on plum linen grommet panels? I just found 6 of them on sale!
June 14, 2013 at 10:56am   
carolins
Hmm... I can see why you like them, but they don't relate to other colours in your room now. So if you get them, you'll need to introduce more plum around your room.
Don't be tempted to buy things just because you like them and they are on sale. Keep the bigger picture in mind. Plum, greenish/blue (I believe your bedding is sort of greenish/blue?) and grey look good together, but you also have beige carpet. So I'd rather keep the colours in your bedroom to the bedding colour, grey and beige.

But they will go with what you have already, IF you find more plum items to go with it. Personally I would rather keep it to the green/blue, grey and beige.

Also, think about keeping the same colour scheme in your bathroom too.
June 14, 2013 at 11:36am     
n3wyawk
I have a few purple accents in both the bedroom and master. I was thinking if I did buy the plum panels, to add a light plum bed sheet or a throw pillow?
June 14, 2013 at 11:38am     
carolins
On the other hand, having looked at the pics of your room again, what colour are the tiles in your bathroom? And am I correct on the colour of your bedding? If that is the same as your wall colour.... plum will be your third colour?
June 14, 2013 at 11:38am   
carolins
Yep, (comments crossed there) I think that would work!
June 14, 2013 at 11:39am     
n3wyawk
The tiles have the greys, beiges and plum colors in it. So I guess my 3 colors would be grey, plum and beige
June 14, 2013 at 11:39am     
carolins
Perfect!
June 14, 2013 at 11:41am   
carolins
tadaa
June 14, 2013 at 11:43am     
n3wyawk
Awesome! Thanks!
June 14, 2013 at 11:44am   
anne dee
May I comment? You have a traditional feel to your bedroom and the plum is a more contemporary color. I think it may get complicated to achieve your vision.
June 14, 2013 at 11:52am     
carolins
Anne Dee has got a point here perhaps.
June 14, 2013 at 11:57am     
carolins
hmm.... not really chic
June 14, 2013 at 12:00pm     
n3wyawk
I haven't purchased end tables yet so I can definitely go another route with those. I did just buy the plum but am next door at pier 1 and can return ASAP. So maybe beige panels instead?
June 14, 2013 at 12:06pm     
anne dee
@carolins I noticed mix media in this room. traditional bed ( grey tones?) contemporary espresso furniture, beige wall to wall. gray walls, en suite floor tile not sure.
I think she needs to put a story board together and work from there. I get that she's probably excited about putting the room together but buying off the cuff without a plan is asking for disaster.
Well...IMHO:)
June 14, 2013 at 12:08pm     
carolins
Think you're better off with what my first reaction was (I have to remember that I should always trust my gut-feeling), keep it to the colours you already have. You'll have a wonderful, calm and chic bedroom.
June 14, 2013 at 12:08pm     
carolins
Anne Dee; you're right :-)
June 14, 2013 at 12:09pm   
andrewdesigninc
I really like the inspiration rooms that anne dee and Mark posted for you. Love the simplicity of those rooms. Best of luck!
June 14, 2013 at 12:32pm     
n3wyawk
Here's a closer look at my duvet...it's more of an ivory or cream. Would white panels still work? Never realized how designed challenged I am!!
June 14, 2013 at 12:42pm   
n3wyawk
Haha just saw the x accent table in the pottery barn picture I just posted!
June 14, 2013 at 12:43pm     
carolins
Will you be doing blinds with panels? if you choose fabric blinds, you need to take them into consideration with the panels. They have to look good together.
Wouldn't worry too much about the duvet. And different whites work together. And when you see them folded in a plastic package, they will look different than when they hang and the light shines through them.

Look at the curtains in the PB photo. Ivory? Or white?
Nice bedside table ;-)
June 14, 2013 at 1:10pm   
Mark
Just a suggestion but you might want to think of mirrored nightstands that have a bit of wood trim on them that will tie in with your dressers. If you get wood nightstands they might clash with your dressers.
June 14, 2013 at 1:14pm     
n3wyawk
We already had white wooden blinds hung...
June 14, 2013 at 1:20pm   
carolins
Oh, white wooden blinds are good. I like Mark's suggestion for mirrored nightstands. I don't even think they would need to have some of the wood. Unless you find a perfect match. But only mirror will probably be safer.
White panels I should think. Or PB have linen oatmeal that looks good with your duvet, but then again... I can only judge from colours on screen.

Or (if same as dressers): http://www.target.com/c/end-side-tables-living-room-furniture/-/N-5xtm5#?lnk=gnav_furniture_7_31&intc=736565|null
June 14, 2013 at 1:54pm   
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Just a thought for windows... You could also go with lacquered nightstands. Grey perhaps to remain subtle. Even white. What you DON'T want to do is try to match the wood and end up with what I call a "near miss". Whichever of these terrific suggestions you opt for, make it look intentional and thoughtful. Nice job on the headboard. Have fun.
June 14, 2013 at 2:30pm     
n3wyawk
Silly question: does the hardware of the rods have to match the grommets on the curtains?
June 14, 2013 at 2:43pm   
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
It generally looks best that way but if there is some other thread of conitnuity to make the two relate, that can sometimes also work. Example: black and white patterned fabric panels with chrome grommets could conceivably work on a black or white pole. Conceivably. It really would depend on the specific mix. The only silly question is the one you don't ask. :-)
June 14, 2013 at 2:46pm     
lizsalvo
My vote is for lined full draperies along the lines of annelee's third example in the blue/green color. I love your rooms n the ideas you've gotten: mirrored tables, painting over bed, chandlers.
June 14, 2013 at 3:36pm     
n3wyawk
Ok so I've narrowed it down to two different color (faux) silk lined drapes-deep grey or an ivory. I also scored a cool mirror for above the bed! Votes on the drapes please! ;)
June 14, 2013 at 4:18pm     
anne dee
I like the deep gray. Just remember to tie this in with another design element for cohesiveness.
June 14, 2013 at 4:28pm     
n3wyawk
Such as? I'm going to stop at the drapes until I do some type of story board as you suggested earlier. I have an entire 6 bedroom house to decorate and I'm getting a little overwhelmed!
June 14, 2013 at 4:33pm     
Mark
I like the deep gray as well, but anne dee's point is important for them to work. For example the mirror ties in nicely with the drapes so that is a good start.
June 14, 2013 at 4:35pm     
n3wyawk
Oh good! My husband and I both agreed on the gray as well. ;)
June 14, 2013 at 4:39pm     
lizsalvo
Oh, Anne dee, love it. I vote for gray. Don't forget to change knobs on dresser. Good luck with other rooms.
June 14, 2013 at 4:44pm   
Dezign With a Z
What you are missing on that wall is a nice accent mirror. It will add a focal point behind the master bed without taking away from the low-key inviting look you are going for. Here we've attached a picture of one our products called bubble clouds acrylic mirror - it's a great design that we believe would complete your look without compromising.
http://www.dezignwithaz.com/bubble-clouds-acrylic-miror-vinyl-p-1549.html
June 14, 2013 at 4:44pm     
lizsalvo
Just realized you posted pics....fab job. Mirror is just perfect!
June 14, 2013 at 4:48pm     
lizsalvo
Looking at yr room .....wanted to say drawer knobs are fine with new mirror. Again, I vote for gray.
June 14, 2013 at 5:03pm     
Lisa Yost
I would NOT add plum - you have enough color with the walls/duvet/rug. I love the idea of linen panels on the OUTSIDE of the window, so as not to make the window look even smaller. Then roman shades in a coordinating blue green/beige/off white fabric. Just my opinion
June 14, 2013 at 5:54pm     
Patricia Kent
I love the dark gray drapes, both color and sheen....elegant softness. And love the round mirror. Add lamps and you will show a big difference in your room!
June 14, 2013 at 9:13pm     
Curb Appeal Renovations
Wow! You have received some great comments. Go with you gut and what feel right to you. Please feel free to take a look at some of my pictures and if I can help you with anything at all please let me know. Thank you.
June 14, 2013 at 9:19pm     
jansgirl
The dark gray panels! They look good w/ your new mirror, too. and by the way-nice job on the headboard!!!
June 14, 2013 at 9:30pm     
n3wyawk
Thanks so much for all the helpful tips!!
June 15, 2013 at 4:32am     
carolins
June 15, 2013 at 5:20am     
Mark
I especially like the silver/beige lamps rom pottery barn, those tie in with the tufted headboard very nice carolins.
June 15, 2013 at 6:02am     
n3wyawk
Here's a little update on my room so far...I need to return the curtains for longer ones, I know! I just spray painted these end tables metallic silver but I'm thinking of silver leafing them instead.
June 22, 2013 at 1:50pm     
Mark
Silver leaf would really bring those tables to life. Good job n3wyawk !
June 22, 2013 at 2:05pm     
n3wyawk
Silver leafing is fun and easy..said no one ever! Hahah
June 23, 2013 at 12:07pm     
n3wyawk
Here's a better pic...
June 23, 2013 at 12:08pm   
carolins
But it does make quite a change! Well done I'd say :-)
June 23, 2013 at 12:08pm     
cbarkston
You're getting some great suggestions and it's fun to see how the room has evolved. But mostly I want to say that the headboard you made yourself is AMAZING!!!!!!! WOW!!!
June 23, 2013 at 12:15pm     
Mark
Awesome job !
June 23, 2013 at 12:22pm     
lntrcrts
Put some lighted sconces on the wall on both sides of the headboard
June 23, 2013 at 12:36pm     
n3wyawk
@cbarkson... Thanks!!! I'm loving all the suggestions too! So helpful!
June 23, 2013 at 12:47pm   
n3wyawk
Just scored these lamps from Lowes Hardware for $20/each!!
June 23, 2013 at 3:05pm   
carolins
Oh cute lamps, well done. You're room is coming together nicely.
June 23, 2013 at 11:55pm   
izzifly
I would move that dresser by the window and put it against the wall between the 2 doors and put a setee in its place
June 24, 2013 at 2:35am     
Briana Harvey
My bedroom is very similar and I love having a calm room in the house :). Love carolins idea board and how your room has come together. Well done!
June 26, 2013 at 6:06am     
n3wyawk
Thank you, Briana! I'm loving how its coming together.
June 26, 2013 at 6:12am   
Jen Dolan
We have the same bedding and are also looking for inspiration. What is your wall color?
July 5, 2013 at 8:05am   
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Grey paint color question!
I was wondering what Grey color paint or paints are...
Feedback on Wall Shelving Idea
Photo is from my kitchen looking into Great Room. ...
Too much wood?!?
We close on our home next week. I see great potential...