Awkward fireplace...
salileo13
June 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My wife and i are remodeling the fireplace with marble and we are concerned with how a mantel will fit given the awkwardly tilted (away from the wall) and corner location. Someone suggested a L shape mantel but I've never seen one like that before, Any ideas?? Alternate Suggestions?? Heres a pic of the wife doing her best "property brothers" audition and the current state of it.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jeannie Nguyen
Maybe some of these photos (there are quite a bit) will help inspire some ideas: http://www.houzz.com/fireplace-mantle
June 17, 2013 at 4:18pm   
annavic
A mantle shaped like half a log would work nicely but they cost hundreds of dollars
June 17, 2013 at 4:56pm     
PRO
Pataya Flooring & Stone Supply, LLC
Great idea! A log shaped mantle can be had for a reasonable price from a saw mill. There are many small mills in many states which would be happy to get your business. Google saw mills in your state.
June 17, 2013 at 6:00pm   
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Not to be rude but what are you doing? Are you planning on using that fireplace, install a direct vent unit or just have a box for decor. I'm a mason and this doesn't look good!
June 18, 2013 at 5:28am     
Jayme H.
I'm guessing you are completely redoing this FP...What look r you going for? Have seen many fireplaces at an angle like this..not sure what u mean by away from wall...Do you mean you are afraid the mantle will stick out too far? Just put in a smaller scale mantle...as far as depth. Are u doing it all yourself?
June 18, 2013 at 7:00am   
salileo13
Update: our contractor has provided mock ups of how the fireplace could be rebuilt and finished, "fireplace 1" has that mantel wrapped around and against the wall which is what I was originally concerned with (visually). Any votes on which one would make sense? The tile used will be marble (culcutta) and it comes in 16x24 per tile. Thank you all for you feedback thus far....
June 20, 2013 at 12:04pm   
PRO
St. Charles Closet
This fireplace not only needs to be completely removed but recommend replacing it with an insert. With all the work you are doing and money you will spend, there is no reason to salvage any of the existing one. Way too dangerous. With that being said you would then be able to design it without your current limitations. I like the one pictured on the right. I always think that the no mantle look lends itself to a more contemporary modern feel.
June 20, 2013 at 12:16pm     
salileo13
Just wanted to share an update photo, on the fireplace redo..we're happy with how this turned out.
August 5, 2013 at 1:07pm   
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
looks good, thanks for sharing
August 5, 2013 at 1:35pm