Besta units from Ikea.
tkjs68
Does anybody have any experience with the Besta units from Ikea? Planning to use as storage, media centre and dining buffet. Need advice on quality.
motownmom
I love Ikea. I'm not familiar with Besta, but I have 4 Billy bookcases and recently renovated my kitchen and used Expedit individual wall shelf/cubes for the seating nook/banquette. They can hold people, so I know they are sturdy. I also have an Ikea desk that I've used every day (I work at home).

The old adage, "You get what you pay for" in my opinion doesn't apply here. Their items are budget friendly, stylish and sturdy. Their directions come with pictures, no writing, but I've always been able to follow them.

If you aren't sure of the look, check them out at an Ikea store.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:42AM
tkjs68
Thanks motownmom, I had almost given up on this question. I live in a regional town and next ikea is 13 hour drive away. If I do decide to go with Besta I will have to fly, hire a car and organise freight. Still this will be more affordable than custom made as I am filling an 8 metre wall ( about 26 foot) for an open plan living & dining room. Your vote of confidence is good.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:07AM
Judy M
Why don't you do an online order of one cabinet first, assemble it and see If you like quality before flying etc.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:40AM
motownmom
Sorry tkjs68, had no idea Ikea was such a hike for you! We only have one in Michigan, but it's within an hour, LOL. I think Judy M's suggestion is a good one. Order one, if you like it, invest in the rest.

For what it's worth, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've had 2 Billy bookcases with bottom doors for over 4 years and they are great. I ordered the glass shelves to replace the originally supplied ones for the part of the bookcases that are open at the top, as these are in my living room and I like the look better.

FYI: All of these come with fiberboard backing, ie a heavy cardboard with the part facing out away from the wall covered in the same color as the cabinet. I personally prefer to leave it off so the shelves are open with the wall showing through, but that's because of where I have placed them. They don't look cheap, but they are not the same wood materials as the cabinets.

Good luck.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:54AM
lmct
Hi - we recently moved my parents into a condo -LR/DR area long and narrow, and we decided to do Besta storage/media/display. Some glass front uppers, have a combo of the black and turquise doors. Used the designer tool, it took a while to work out the design that made everyone happy, but the final result beautiful!
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:26AM
tkjs68
Thanks again, Houzzers. Good idea, Judy, I'll order a small one and check it . Motownmom, thanks for heads up on backing, i could always change it or remove it. Imct, happy to hear you like the product.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:41AM
OnePlan
Hi - have you tried getting a quote from a local company / carpenter first !?! It might be quicker easier and overall more cost effective ?!?! For a wall that size - it's worth a try surely ?!?!
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:52AM
tkjs68
Yes got a quote = $8000. So looking at budget options but quality is important to me. Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:42AM
OnePlan
Wow I see why you are looking for an alternative now !!!
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 10:06AM
Besta storage
Have been trying to put together a Besta combination...
akalibekova
Is the small sheving unit at the end of the Expedit desk from IKEA?
If so what is the name or part number so I can get...
shiflet1
Help with media stand/wall unit please
I have an alcove in my apartment that currently houses...
cathyriches
Need help choosing new paint color
I'm having a really hard time trying to pick out a...
txmom2005
Retina burner
I was looking for a light airy color. I found this...
bg007
Wall Space Ideas
I am trying to figure out what type of wall decor and...
Scott Morgenroth
Help better arrange my livingroom!
My livingroom is small. I have a large green sofa,...
laloring
Finishing a basement
It's almost time to paint. I was looking at a neutral...
ssageqa