Which direction should the wall of windows face for solar passive??
cadj1
June 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband thinks west, but I'm saying south. The lot is heavily treed so there is a lot of shade.

Also, is this design somewhat suitable in terms of solar passive? We are going with polished concrete floors and adding a screened in porch off the living room instead of the pergola shown in the plans.

Any other small things we could add/change to make it more suitable to passive solar?

Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Design Mode
You could add slatted overhangs outside your windows, strategically placed according to your lattitude - to block the sun's heat in summer.
June 14, 2013 at 10:09am   
PRO
OnePlan
You could use Trombe walls on the south wall without windows - ( master ensuite ) or add windows !!
June 14, 2013 at 11:30am   
decoenthusiaste
South, but you'll definitely want overhangs that combat the sun in summer.
June 14, 2013 at 11:48am   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
South will give you all day exposure, where as west will give you intense light in the afternoon/evening... I would look up homes where they are already using the passive solar... here is a link that may help http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/passive-solar-home-design
June 14, 2013 at 11:51am   
cadj1
thanks everyone! I like the statted overhang idea, but we haven\t been able to figure out what to use except wooden slats ... we're trying to avoid wood outside since we don't want exterior maintenance... i really like the look of corrugated metal, however it would rust on our cement patio so that's out...
June 14, 2013 at 12:22pm   
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed with solar panels should face south in the northern hemisphere to receive maximum sun light.
June 14, 2013 at 12:27pm     
decoenthusiaste
You know they make stainless metal roofing that could look really good. No rust! Just look how far some people have taken it!
exterior
Ideabook: Houzz Tour: Under a Metal Canopy in Texas
June 14, 2013 at 2:19pm   
pegwaters
That's a beautiful house, but that's a lot of windows! I understand that you want to see that view, but if it's hot sitting there, you won't. We have South facing windows in our bedroom and it's the hottest room in the house. I think you should visit that lot all times of the day and imagine standing infront of those windows. Good luck.
June 14, 2013 at 2:44pm   
pegwaters
Don't they make slats in vinyl? No need to paint and won't rust!
June 14, 2013 at 2:47pm   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
Which type of windows will you be using??
June 14, 2013 at 2:48pm   
pcmom1
So, this isn't your place, you are just using it as an example? You are looking for passive solar and your lot is heavily treed. Could you tell us the general area you live in?

I am thinking the sun isn't always going to shine. I know some windows are much better R value than others, but don't all windows loose heat on cold days? I would think you would want something such as cellular blinds to bring down to hold the heat in (or keep it out when it is too hot).
June 14, 2013 at 3:22pm   
Walter Comstock
Face the windows South, you get the sun in the winter when you need the heat and the shade in the summer.
June 14, 2013 at 9:15pm   
PRO
Leo Dowell Interiors
I also think you have to factor in how you want to live. For example , if your master bedroom is on the window wall and you don't want the sun to abruptly awake you in the morning. You might want to turn the house a little. or if you want the sunlight to light up the great room in late afternoon, where is it in relation to the glass wall of windows? I show clients a diagram of the different angles of the sun during different seasons so they will think about how it will change in the rooms they use the most. I don't think it's as simple as just placing the window wall for heat or cooling alone.

Hope this helps.
June 14, 2013 at 9:55pm