Help transforming the exterior of our investment property - "Rib House"
Cara Clement
Advice needed! We really do not like the "rib" look architecture of this home, and are trying to think of how we can make it somewhat more pleasing to the eye. We're thinking of thinning out the "ribs" (they aren't structural - they were added after the house was built as a design element). Thinking of starting at left, leave one, remove two, leave one, remove two, etc. Otherwise, from a painting perspective, should we paint the "ribs" the same color as the concrete roof, or the same color as the remaining exterior? We do not want to cover the "ribs" with wood or anything like that, as it will block the kitchen and dining room windows, and make the interior of the home very dark. Thanks for any advice!
OnePlan
Agree with your leave one remove two idea ! I would paint the entire structure the same colour !
June 14, 2013 at 11:12am   
Sarah Padilla
What goes underneath the ribs? Is it a carport? I would remove all ribs that block a window, then add outdoor eating space near kitchen and main entry. I think they look pretty cool and they seem to continue to what appears to be a garage on the right, just there are so many that it looks like a giant culvert. Just removing a few of the ribs like you stated 2 out of every three but definitley leave a few ribs and add some planters between the ribs!
June 14, 2013 at 11:14am   
DMH DESIGN
It appears to me that the roof material butts up against the ribs, yes? if they aren't structural, they still look as though they are tied in with the roof material, as the profile of these (arched glu-lam, concrete?) beams is larger to the outside than they appear to be where laying against the roof. Hopefully, you have existing plans? I would verify with an engr. that the beams are non structural, and consult with a contractor for their removal, regardless, given that dropping them on the existing structure will damage the roof. Are you going to run into a roof re-do when extracting these beams? For what you intend to remove, they likely have salvage value, if left in one piece, to you or someone else, in terms of building an accessory structure, so I guess that could pay for some or all of the roof patching, if any is necessary? If you do leave some in place, there is likely a way to create a movable canvas or kevlar shade between the remaining ribs, to create an outdoor space lhat allows passive light, but keeps out wind and rain, such as an outdoor dining or lounge space. You have a very interesting home.
June 15, 2013 at 1:47pm   
apple_pie_order
You don't like them. They are not structural. I'd remove them all. It's a waste of money to design around things you don't like that you don't have to keep.
June 15, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Exterior paint issue for a investment house.
I have a house that has Vinyl siding at the top and...
Need help updating the look of the exterior of our lake house
We just moved into this house built in 1972. We are...
Need Help!! What color should I paint the exterior of our house?
We live in a old colorful historical town. We have...
Need help selecting exterior paint color for our house
We need help selecting a color for the exterior of...
Shower curtain
How to hang a shower curtain over a tub?
How to select a ceiling fan?
Hi, We are in the process of choosing ceiling fans...
French limestone fireplace
Hello everyone :) I need some help about the fireplace.......
Hardwood or tiles for kitchen?
I am a new home owner of a 10 year old house. I'm planning...