What to do with the TV in this room?
rovanick
We thought we'd put it on the mantel, but there is not enough space (we'd cover the window) and my husband is concerned about having the TV at eye level. I was thinking of maybe a half wall of built in cabinets.... on the wall where the TV is now. They could also hold my plants and some books but the window in the corner and the couch at the other side could make it awkward. We are planning to change all the furniture but are not sure how to deal with this room. I am steering clear of a big media unit because I'd like to keep the space open and light. I welcome all suggestions.
shadon
I think it fine where it is but a longer cabinet under TV to balance out the wall you then could put some thing decorative on either side of TV. Like a tall vase and other side candles in diff sizes. get love seat out of corner and invest in a really nice sectional where the couch is. Its a beautiful room
June 14, 2013 at 8:34pm     
shadon
Move one of your beautiful plants to wall where loveseat is, if they will get enough light I think to many plants butt up against windows looks cluttered, I love windows and natural light!
June 14, 2013 at 8:39pm     
Lipsticktogluesticks
I would love to see a picture of the room with the window wall and ceiling lines. Without that vision, first I would change the curtain rod direction. Make it straight and push the curtains to the ends. Sort of like book ends. You have too much going on over the mantle. Make it simple. I would put five potted greens across the mental. I think the TV is fine. Push it down a bit along with the couch and put the chair in the corner with a floor lamp behind it along with a small side table. Maybe a plant under the table. I would add two ottomans together where the chair is now for more seating. Add an area rug, decorative accessories, pillows and a nice throw in prints and solids. Make sure they have all your colors in them and this will pull your whole room together.
June 14, 2013 at 8:59pm     
jansgirl
I agree with robandallyson, I'd like to tsee the curtain rods hung straight (at the top of the curve in the window (?) of maybe half way up. Not sure. If you want to "keep the room open and bright", then yes, draw the panels to the sides. I also like the suggestion for a longer console for the TV. When you get new furniture, lean toward lighter solid pieces. I like your idea of the built in's but...I like the TV on that wall (not competing w/ the fireplace) Would you be willing to incorporate it into your built ins?
June 14, 2013 at 9:18pm     
Curb Appeal Renovations
Some good ideas above. Take a look at my photos, let me know if I can help you with anything at all. Thank you.
June 14, 2013 at 9:27pm   
ZS Interior Design
I agree with the window treatments definitely, hang them straight and in line with the top of the arch of other window for height. To many items on the mantel move the candles they are to tall and remove everything else replace with one nice colorful piece of art to take up most of the space width and height.
Add a rug to anchor the space and add warmth. Move the small table that is currently in front of the window.
Add a narrow sofa table along the back of your sofa and add a long narrow unique cabinet that the tv could sit on , the other option is to wall mount the tv and frame it out with a wood, iron to create a piece of wall art out of the tv, any woodwork or čabinet company near you can custom make this for you around the size of your tv.
When replacing furniture stay in the lighter tones in fabrics/leather as well as wood tones.
June 14, 2013 at 9:55pm     
Walter Comstock
Your room looks very gothic with the dark furniture and dark drapes large candle holders etc. How about no drapes but woven woods leaving the top of the window showing. A nice large print area rug. Paint the fireplace wall the color of the woven woods making it an accent wall. Mount the TV to the wall and paint the cabinet. A nice wrought iron and wood coffee table. Light and dark gray walls would look great with the choc. brown furniture. Good luck
June 14, 2013 at 10:03pm   
rovanick
Thanks for the advice everyone! RobandAllyson - the curtains are parallel with the ceiling slope so from far it makes more sense. I had trouble getting a photo that would show that.

I like the idea of a chair in the corner with a floor lamp...and all my plants ended up on those tables when we first moved in. They were so happy I left them there even though it looks cluttered. They'll eventually get dispersed through the house.
June 14, 2013 at 10:04pm   
rovanick
The black sofas are going for sure. The idea for the built in was not on the same wall as the fireplace. I was thinking like a half wall of bookshelves that the TV and some plants could sit on....maybe in white so it's kind of like wainscoting and not too dark and only about 18 inches deep. I'm afraid to make the commitment though if it doesn't turn out.
June 14, 2013 at 10:12pm   
rovanick
here's a better photo with the ceiling lines......
June 14, 2013 at 10:17pm   
deedeedavidsondesign
I agree that the curtain rods must be straight- should not follow the line of the ceiling, just the line of the window. And they should be drawn back almost to the side of the window. Hanging straight down is much more current than tied back.
I agree with furniture that's not so heavy and dark. I would arrange the sofa and chair or loveseat perpendicular to one another with arms touching and connect with an end table. Floating your seating makes more sense in the room- it's quite OK to walk around to enter seating area. TV dan be mounted on the wall with iron candle sconces on either side, and a narrower media cabinet. A rug is needed to anchor the seating area- 5x8 would be enough- use this to add some color and pattern to your space, as well as pillows in complimentary colors and patterns. Maybe just a clock or one bigger piece of art above mantle.
June 14, 2013 at 10:18pm     
rovanick
Thanks again everyone! Good night.
June 14, 2013 at 10:23pm   
Lipsticktogluesticks
Regardless of the ceiling lines, I still think you should hang the rods straight. Thanks for adding the picture!
June 15, 2013 at 10:00pm     
JMittman Designs
Hanging the curtain rod straight and pushing the panels to the outside ends will add instant light to this room.
June 17, 2013 at 8:50am   
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
You could create a faux wall out of drywall for your TV area - build it out 5 inches so all the wires etc are hidden behind and make it a foot wider than your TV - but make sure hubby agrees with the width in case he plans to purchase larger...just saying it happens. Use an articulating arm for the TV and either floating shelves or a low sleek unit to hide the cable boxes et al. The wires will run up a plastic plumbing tube and are easy to fish.
June 17, 2013 at 9:09am   
rovanick
We probably would of hung the rods straight if we put them up ourselves but they were like that when we moved in and it doesn't really bother me. I do like the controversy though! I would have bought panels with metal grommets instead but I don't want to level the rods and have holes that need to be patched and not be able to match the paint perfectly and have to repaint the whole wall.
Thanks Joanne Jakab Interior Designs - we are so not handy but I like the idea of putting something built in.
Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I really appreciate it!!!!
June 17, 2013 at 12:07pm   
JMittman Designs
...but..but...if you raise the outside brackets on the curtain rods to match the inside ones, any hole would be covered up by the curtain panel...and it would look soooo much nicer to have the rods even... :)
June 18, 2013 at 8:43am     
blrussell
Move the love seat and add poster size art on both sides if the TV. The drapes should be straight. Sorry, they just look weird now.
June 18, 2013 at 8:52am   
What do we do with the TV in this room?
We thought we'd put it on the mantel, but there is...
What do we do with the TV in this room?
What do we do with the TV in this room?
What to do with this tv room off the kitchen.
Yes that is a deer head. No it is not by choice. I...
What to do with TV wall in small living room
I don't know what to do with my TV wall if anything....
Foyer Decor
Hi! I have this nice looking space in the front entryway....
What to do with this master bedroom? Paint, fireplace, etc.
Just purchased this house and the color in the master...
Remodel Kitchen
We are moving in a few weeks. This is our kitchen....
China cabinet update
My circa 1972 dark pine china cabinet needs help. ...
Comment for a chance to win! POLL: Simple FREE home projects
Which one of these simple home projects would you like...